• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

my first ever batch (photos) help needed.

hi this is my first ever batch of chillis and to be honest the first ever plants of any kind i have grown. unfortunatly living in england we dont get much sunshine and its always quite chilly, especially this winter which has been our coldest in 18 years. i have been growing them on my windowsill since they germinated ( germination took place on top of the central heating water boiler ) i now have a 250w infared light which i have set up to help my chillis when the sun aint out is this ok to do? also would you guys mind looking at my photos taken tonigh and tell me if they look ok ?!

here is the plant list kept in order of photos and also time since they sprouted through.

1: hungarian hot wax ( 7 weeks)
2: anaheim (7 weeks)
3: jalopeno (6 weeks)
4: tabasco (5 weeks)
5: tepin (5 weeks)
6: bhut jolokia (2days)

P24-02-09_203001.jpg

P24-02-09_2030.jpg

P24-02-09_2031.jpg

P24-02-09_203101.jpg

P24-02-09_203102.jpg

P24-02-09_2032.jpg

P24-02-09_2033.jpg

i know they are not very big for the time they have been growing for but im hoping the light will make up for lack of sunshine

looking good...I suppose you found out only 4 pics at a time :(

good job

What is an "infrared light" and is this more or less being used as a heat source?

Plants can only use light within a certain spectrum, and i believe infrared is outside of that spectrum. You can see the peaks at certain red & blue wavelengths. This is why we use "red"2700k or "blue"6000k lights:
P24f1.gif

Txclosetgrower said:
What is an "infrared light" and is this more or less being used as a heat source?

Plants can only use light within a certain spectrum, and i believe infrared is outside of that spectrum. You can see the peaks at certain red & blue wavelengths. This is why we use "red"2700k or "blue"6000k lights:
P24f1.gif

i believe infared is at the red end it does throw out a lot of heat it is currently sitting 30inches above plants and the temprature at there is 26oc, it also throws out a lot of light dazzles you if you look into it as i found out DOH!

bainsey00 said:
i believe infared is at the red end it does throw out a lot of heat it is currently sitting 30inches above plants and the temprature at there is 26oc, it also throws out a lot of light dazzles you if you look into it as i found out DOH!

if it is an incandescent light, it is wasting the majority of that 250W on heat and unuseable light. Incandescent just don't put out much light in the right spectrum. Fluorescents use electrons to excite phosphors which emit light in specific wavelengths so you get a much better source of light for plants not to mention saving money on electricity and they generate far less heat

Back