• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My first functional Ebb & Flood setup

Looks good McGuiver. I'm glad you found the culprit. I would like to dabble in hydro someday. It looks fun. Thanks for the updates and good luck with your system.

I started with General Hydroponics Flora series today. My water was previously at 7 PH. I put 2 ml of PH down in 15L resevoir.

Added 40ml of FloraGro, 20ml of FloraMicro, and 20ml FloraBloom.

Now PH is at 6, and PPMs are at 1190.

Going well since last week.

I just picked up a 2x2 foot flood table yesterday at half cost. It is used, but can be cleaned...

Time to start a new project...

Got off tangent reading this morning, thought you might enjoy these links. I think queequeg was on to something interesting, though there was clearly some residue from the corn.

Pot heads

A not so forgetful group of people

Rinsing hydrocorn is a pain, some let it soak overnight. Watch out buying old hydro gear, many people give up in the face of pythium/root issues, having something around like Physan20 or equivalent might be prudent.

miguelovic said:
Got off tangent reading this morning, thought you might enjoy these links. I think queequeg was on to something interesting, though there was clearly some residue from the corn.

Pot heads

A not so forgetful group of people

Rinsing hydrocorn is a pain, some let it soak overnight. Watch out buying old hydro gear, many people give up in the face of pythium/root issues, having something around like Physan20 or equivalent might be prudent.
Thanks for the reading. I love seeing where some of my own reading tangents go. Reading looks good.

I know I need to be careful with old gear. I will clean, scrub, and sterilize it with MIOX. MIOX cuts thru sludge and kills more than bleach alone. I may use this as a watering table because of the cut corners. Either way it will go to good use. To cheap to pass up.

McGuiver said:
I know I need to be careful with old gear. I will clean, scrub, and sterilize it with MIOX. MIOX cuts thru sludge and kills more than bleach alone. I may use this as a watering table because of the cut corners. Either way it will go to good use. To cheap to pass up.

what makes you think the MIOX pen is more effective than bleach alone? i was never clear on that, did you read somthing to that effect?

If you read the white papers from the company that makes the MIOX pen. Also look at their patents, and FDA approval for disinfection.

You will have to register an email with them, no big deal.

What makes it effective is the purity of the mixed oxidants, & freshness (just made).

They have a setup for sterilizing hospital EQ and rooms with this mixture.

Kills even the nastiest bugs...

yea i recall the papers you linked, i just dont recall them outright stating that it was more effective than bleach/ calcium hypo.
i do recall them claiming that it was far more convenient, and possibly cheaper, but not 'better'.

it very well might be more efficient at disinfecting, ion for ion, given what you said about bleach and adjuncts etc, but imo, not substantially so.
IDK tho, the chemistry of hypochlorites is not a trivial matter.
my boss has many expensive books in my office reference collection that extensivly cover chlorine disinfection, maby ill yank a few out and photo copy some sheets.( is that illegal?)

my gut feeling(based on what i do know about chlorine) is that the MIOX pen is novel, and very cool, but not substantially better than a bleach solution and or other sources of chlorine disinfection. but again IDK, ill have to read.
furthermore, its size seems to me to be a substantial disadvantage, i doubt it could treat 10s or 100's of gallons of water practically, however there are very cheap cells designed for small spas that could fit this bill, albeit with significant modifications. 

fwiw all chlorine disinfectants can and do kill virtually all pathogens, bugs etc. and hospitals as far as i know, tend to use steam autoclaves to disinfect the tools and instruments they use such as clamps scalpels etc. i could see them using chlorine for larger surfaces like tables and tile floors etc, with grouted surfaces.
btw, where did you get that black container you are using for a flood tray? ive been meaning to ask.
i have tons of these lovely tall columnar cactus ive been propagating from home depot, i want to plant cluster them in containers that i can bury more or less, flush into gravel/rock beds.
those seem ideal for a drip to waste tray... i could just incline one side to effect good drainage.

queequeg152 said:
yea i recall the papers you linked, i just dont recall them outright stating that it was more effective than bleach/ calcium hypo.
i do recall them claiming that it was far more convenient, and possibly cheaper, but not 'better'.

it very well might be more efficient at disinfecting, ion for ion, given what you said about bleach and adjuncts etc, but imo, not substantially so.
IDK tho, the chemistry of hypochlorites is not a trivial matter.
my boss has many expensive books in my office reference collection that extensivly cover chlorine disinfection, maby ill yank a few out and photo copy some sheets.( is that illegal?)

my gut feeling(based on what i do know about chlorine) is that the MIOX pen is novel, and very cool, but not substantially better than a bleach solution and or other sources of chlorine disinfection. but again IDK, ill have to read.
furthermore, its size seems to me to be a substantial disadvantage, i doubt it could treat 10s or 100's of gallons of water practically, however there are very cheap cells designed for small spas that could fit this bill, albeit with significant modifications. 

fwiw all chlorine disinfectants can and do kill virtually all pathogens, bugs etc. and hospitals as far as i know, tend to use steam autoclaves to disinfect the tools and instruments they use such as clamps scalpels etc. i could see them using chlorine for larger surfaces like tables and tile floors etc, with grouted surfaces.btw, where did you get that black container you are using for a flood tray? ive been meaning to ask.
i have tons of these lovely tall columnar cactus ive been propagating from home depot, i want to plant cluster them in containers that i can bury more or less, flush into gravel/rock beds.
those seem ideal for a drip to waste tray... i could just incline one side to effect good drainage.
From the white papers there are oxidants including peroxide. Remember bleach has a shelf life. When you use it it may only be at 80% of its original stength. With the MIOX mixed locally, it is fresh at a known stength. I know there are high tech tools to measure this stuff.

I got my black trays at Lowes. Home Depot has them too.

Here is the used tray I picked up.

C0768703-FF90-4C1A-8768-C5192D8B61A3_zpseg4n3nlu.jpg

Here it is after 10 min of scrubbing.

E005D220-CFBF-4B1C-8E1F-A9078877E75A_zps6u3pha6m.jpg

ah, nice. i have a 4x4 tray just like that one... still unused on my part tho.
it was found behind a dumpster... im guessing someone got spooked and tossed it out? idk. but its nice material... seems to be fiberglass reinforced plastic.

Here is the 2x2 foot tray with 13 5x5 inch pots. The other 3 are sterilizing right now in the dishwasher after hand washing. They were used in another project.

I'm thinking I may just use this as a watering tray...

Here are all 16.

I picked up a BlueLab ppm pen this week. I double checked it against my other. Both are dead on.

My PH today is at 6, and my ppm is at 1190 with BlueLab pen.

I also picked up some Floralicious Plus by GH. Just added 4ml to my rez.

Need to move my system over about a foot to accommodate a 2x2 flood table. I was just going to move it, second thought... I checked the PH & ppms. PH is at 6 holding steady. PPMs are at 1200.

Time to move the setup over. I will post pics once moved.

Cleaned up my setup. Moved stuff over.

Here is the 2x2 flood table. Had to drill holes in the plywood shelf for drain. Since this table had corners cut off I will use it as a watering table.

Here is my semi finished setup. On the 2x2 table I have 12 varieties of peppers that I will keep. The larger white containers are duplicate pepper plants. They are for family & co-workers. I still need to make room for my new ez-cloner.

09be81e43324c30f6c42053ec507d675_zpsa0c02450.jpg

Back