• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My first Jolokia, budding?

Yeah me too, but even worse I just discovered spider mites ahhh,
not too many at this stage so I need to get on top of them quickly, I'll try a soap based spray(potassium salts of fatty acids) first and see how that goes as it is a safe method.
Mites? Noooooooooo! They are an absolute PITA!

If you are planning on using natural/safe solutions, you have to be extremely vigilant when it comes to mites as no safe solution will take care of the eggs. Regardless of whether it looks like you got all the little buggers or not, make sure you repeat applications every few days for two or three weeks to catch any mites that have hatched in between applications. Also make sure you are thorough - get that spray into every nook and cranny of your plants.... full coverage is essential.

I can't stress enough - be vigilant and thorough! I have been battling broad mites the last two years and unfortunately have had to resort to a systemic chemical this year. Even now after that the war still rages....

Good luck!

Yeah I know they are flamin' mongrels, almost impossible to eradicate, I had them on another CROP :cool: years ago and battled non-stop using pyrethrum, it slows them down but thats about all, like you said it's the eggs that are the problem, a spider mite only has a 30 day life cycle but can/will lay 100's of eggs in between.

I don't really want to use a systemic insecticide if I can avoid it as some of them are deadly and once in your blood system they are there for good(like herpes) :eek: .

I will try an all natural solution like Natrasoap or Neem and see how I go. As long as I can keep their numbers to a minimum they won't cause too much of a problem!
I absolutely drowned my plants underneath and on top of leaves, stem and soil, then sprayed surrounding area with Natrasoap yesterday around dusk, this morning
they were extremely perky and lush looking! If I have to repeat this every week I will, it's worth it.

Just incase I need to, what did you use?
Rogor.

I don't really want to use a systemic insecticide if I can avoid it as some of them are deadly and once in your blood system they are there for good(like herpes) :eek:
Wouldn't surprise me if Rogor is one of those ones! :eek:

I swore I was never going to use anything hardcore but unfortunately I just haven't had the time to put in the extra effort required for safer solutions this last season. Next season, I am definitely gonna go back to more natural (or at least, safer) solutions! I really have felt uneasy about using the Rogor....

Wouldn't surprise me if Rogor is one of those ones! :eek:

Ahh yep, that's the one, it contains Dimethoate which was introduced around the 50's, it kills insects, mites and is very toxic to honey bees, birds and some aquatic organisms!
It is said that in high levels it can be a problem in our blood and may cause reproductive interference(They may have used in tazzy :)).

Hey Iv'e had all the kids I want so if Natrasoap and Neem don't work I might give it a go :rofl:

Ahh yep, that's the one, it contains Dimethoate which was introduced around the 50's, it kills insects, mites and is very toxic to honey bees, birds and some aquatic organisms!
It is said that in high levels it can be a problem in our blood and may cause reproductive interference(They may have used in tazzy :)).

Hey Iv'e had all the kids I want so if Natrasoap and Neem don't work I might give it a go :rofl:
I really shouldn't laugh but.... :rofl:

It certainly does the job at first but it does require reapplications after a few weeks if the mites are still around elsewhere in your environment. I guess that although it is accumulative, the plant still breaks it down enough to render it ineffective.

Actually it is one of the more safer systemic options on the market, and only really affects humans in high doses,
oh and it has a withholding period of about 7 days so could be a problem if using around harvest time!

Anyway GOOD LUCK!

Actually it is one of the more safer systemic options on the market, and only really affects humans in high doses,
oh and it has a withholding period of about 7 days so could be a problem if using around harvest time!

Anyway GOOD LUCK!
Yeah, I actually stopped using it the moment my plants started producing. Of course, that might explain why the problem started flaring up again.... :lol:

Back