• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests My first "Pest ID" question so be nice...

Have this crap on my super hots and crosses only, rest of the garden is normal.  Any plant with these is hurting, whats the heck is it and what to do?  Edit...  They are always found on the stems of plants, never a leaf.
pQguwYq.jpg

Son, your growing cotton!  :D  Sorry couldn't resist. Ya really shouldn't have added the "be nice".  

Yes it does look mealybug like, but get yourself a magnifying glass and have a closer look.  If it's Mealy's do not fertilize any plants right now as they are attracted to plants with high nitrogen levels. Pressure wash off what you can and use some neem oil. Careful on the neem if your growing in direct sunlight or really hot weather. Your in Phoenix so get rid of any Opuntia Cactus (Prickly Pear, Beaver Tail etc). They love that stuff. 

White flies are common here because of our cotton grows but no adults flying around here.  I've searched each plant for some kind of adult and found nothing.  Neem oil has not helped and they are always clustered as if an egg group.  I may snip a stem off and bring it in under the microscope but pretty sure they are eggs still.

Well the good news is they are not while flies...  I've still got no clue how to eradicate "it" though.  Under 400x mag it looks much more like a fungus or something.  Never seen this here in Phoenix before and with our humidity near 10% I can't figure this out.  Fire?

wya4nbV.png

Pretty sure they are mealybugs.

From the interwebs:
  • Prune out light infestations or dab insects with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol.
  • Do not over water or overfertilize — mealybugs are attracted to plants with high nitrogen levels and soft growth.
  • Commercially available beneficial insects, such as ladybugs, lacewing and the Mealybug Destroyer (Cryptolaemus montrouzieri), are important natural predators of this pest.
  • Hose off plants with a strong stream of water and reduce pest numbers. Washing foliage regularly with a leaf shine — made from neem oil — will help discourage future infestations.
  • Insecticidal soap contains potassium salts of fatty acids, which penetrates and damages the outer shells of soft-bodied insect pests, causing dehydration and death within hours.
  • If pest levels become intolerable, spot treat with a short-lived, natural pesticide that does NOT persist in the environment.

Have had mealy bugs on cacti before, this is not them by any means.  No red when it gets smeared and under the microscope they are not bugs.  Starting to think a fungus of some type.  Only on reapers and crosses with them so far.  80% H2O2 misting is showing results for a few days then it rebounds to same.

Nuclieye said:
Have had mealy bugs on cacti before, this is not them by any means.  No red when it gets smeared and under the microscope they are not bugs.  Starting to think a fungus of some type.  Only on reapers and crosses with them so far.  80% H2O2 misting is showing results for a few days then it rebounds to same.

Mealybugs. That is the sticky white crap which they use as housing. Physically scrub them off with an old toothbrush, then spray after the sun goes down with neem oil.

Wooly aphids.

Mealy bugs are found around the root collar and on the roots - they're waxy not wooly.  Also they form a little family group - a few big fat fckers that have white waxy crap on them surrounded by loads of little grey ones.  Pour water on them and it runs off.  Waterproof little shts.

I hate mealy bugs the most.  Wooly aphid is easy to get rid off - just use a proprietary aphid spray.  And check for ants.  Ants move them around because they harvest honeydew from them.  I usually have a large infestation every year on my citrus trees - I leave because the bees and wasps have learnt to harvest the honeydew - looks stupid though - bees with cottonwool junk on their pollen combs.

After further research I retract my guess and jump on the wooly aphids bandwagon.   Wasn't familiar with them but the pictures definitely resemble them more. Except you say that they aren't bugs under the microscope. Are you only grabbing the cotton looking stuff? Not any sort of fungus i have seen before.  If all else fails  :flamethrower: i guess

Back