• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My first sauce...

So today I wanted to make a small bottle of sauce and did... However I came here earlier and the website was down but of course I didn't want to wait so I just winged it. I added about 25% apple cider vinegar + 5 Cloves of garlic + salt and pepper and finally 6 TMS Pods.  So knew I needed to boil it and sterilize the bottles etc. What I didn't count on was the mustard gas I made and the pepper oil going thru the vynal gloves and burning my fingers... Was an interesting experience to say the least haha.

One question though. I didn't sterilize the funnel since it had been washed recently. Is that a problem?

Whitewookie said:
Since you only made one bottle, just store it in the fridge... Shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, I went ahead and put it in the fridge as soon as I made it. 

One last question. Is it normal for the bottle to have a small pressure difference in the bottle. Occasionally I hear a very faint SSsss when I open it slowly.

This is normal if you bottled the sauce hot and there was a little air trapped inside. Once the air inside the bottle cools, especially after being in the fridge, it condenses and creates a vacuum.

The hiss you are hearing is most likely air rushing in, not out.

A good way to check is to see if your lid is slightly concaved (due to the vacuum) before you open the bottle.

If it is fermenting you should hear the hiss more than once and most likely each time you open the bottle. In that case I would bin it.

Cheers.....

Back