soil My first season mixing my own soil

Got the results back for my container mix analysis from the county extension office.  Here's the analysis:

PH: 6.3 (fine)
Conductivity: 1.87 mmho/cm (acceptable)
Nitrate-N: 3 ppm (VERY low, normal is 110-174 ppm)
Phosphorus: 22.3 ppm (very high)
Potassium: 318.6 ppm (high)
Calcium: 84.1 ppm (acceptable)
Magnesium: 22.0 ppm (very low)
Boron: 0.2 ppm (very low)
Sodium: 60.7 ppm (optimal)

They said besides the nitrogen issue, the mix should be adequate.  Now about the Nitrogen, I took that sample before I had actually gotten the microbes in my mix to start being active (was still using tap water and hadn't applied a successful compost tea yet).  My plants are now looking much better and growing much faster since I've switched to rain water and have had two truly active compost teas applied.  I'm sure that the available nitrogen has gone up since then so I'm not too concerned about that number, although I have applied a fast release nitrogen to the plants that are still lagging a bit.  I am concerned about the high levels of phosphorus and potassium.  I'm afraid that they have now skyrocketed since the soil is active and breaking down the organic matter at a faster rate.

That's really interesting. Did you apply any granular ferts like blood/bone /kelp meals when you made the mix or were you relying on the compost as the sole nutrient source?
Also..I'm curious if those pine bark fines are locking up N?

The only time I tried to use pine I had nothing but problems ...yellow plants ..lockout problems. It was a nightmare.

Ill never use them again. I know many do with success ..to each their own I guess

I had mixed a 2-7-4 organic granular fert from Jobes when I potted them up to their 5 gallon pots.  And you and PMD may be on to something with the pine fines.  They seemed pretty well composted, but perhaps not well enough. Perhaps with the extra microbial activity in the mix now, the fines are broken down enough to not tie up N anymore.

I had hoped that too and did get a slight improvement when adding high n ferts but eventually I got tired of fighting an uphill battle...especially when theres other aerators that are easily available that don't have this issue. plus ...they never did do well. They were yellowed out the whole time. I couldn't get N to them. They would green up a little with foiler feed but it was a pain. Ph was 6.5 so shouldn't have been lockout issues...

...but ...like I say many use them with success so maybe the ones I used weren't composted enough. After having to trash 60 gallons of soil mixed with ammendments that aren't always cheap I got a sour taste in my mouth about pbf's

Its interesting to note the next grow after was with the same conditions and same mix only I swapped more perilite for pbf's and had no issues

Yeah, next year I'm going to be using a 4x8 raised bed for my peppers and just get out of container growing altogether.  My other veggies that I have in 2 4x4 beds are thriving with a soil mix of topsoil (mostly clay) and leaf mould ammended with a 4-4-4 organic fert.  Very little fuss involved with them.  So hoping that translates to my peppers next year.

compmodder26 said:
Yeah, next year I'm going to be using a 4x8 raised bed for my peppers and just get out of container growing altogether.  My other veggies that I have in 2 4x4 beds are thriving with a soil mix of topsoil (mostly clay) and leaf mould ammended with a 4-4-4 organic fert.  Very little fuss involved with them.  So hoping that translates to my peppers next year.
I'm sure it will! Wish my climate was inground friendly!

compmodder26 said:
Got the results back for my container mix analysis from the county extension office.  Here's the analysis:

PH: 6.3 (fine)
Conductivity: 1.87 mmho/cm (acceptable)
Nitrate-N: 3 ppm (VERY low, normal is 110-174 ppm)
Phosphorus: 22.3 ppm (very high)
Potassium: 318.6 ppm (high)
Calcium: 84.1 ppm (acceptable)
Magnesium: 22.0 ppm (very low)
Boron: 0.2 ppm (very low)
Sodium: 60.7 ppm (optimal)

They said besides the nitrogen issue, the mix should be adequate.  Now about the Nitrogen, I took that sample before I had actually gotten the microbes in my mix to start being active (was still using tap water and hadn't applied a successful compost tea yet).  My plants are now looking much better and growing much faster since I've switched to rain water and have had two truly active compost teas applied.  I'm sure that the available nitrogen has gone up since then so I'm not too concerned about that number, although I have applied a fast release nitrogen to the plants that are still lagging a bit.  I am concerned about the high levels of phosphorus and potassium.  I'm afraid that they have now skyrocketed since the soil is active and breaking down the organic matter at a faster rate.
That's fascinating Brian. I should have mine tested. Have to find who I send it to though. Did it cost you?

Proud Marine Dad said:
That's fascinating Brian. I should have mine tested. Have to find who I send it to though. Did it cost you?

I'm pretty sure you have a county Cooperative Extension.  That would be where I would start.  The test only cost $10.

Back