• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds My first seedlings of 2012

Very nice! I love the way you've covered pretty much the entire deck, steps and all. Good variety in your grow list too!

Have you grown those ground cherries before? I usually grow a large patch at the comm. garden plot, but I'm thinking of trying them in containers this year.

I haven't ordered covers for my Earthboxes yet. The shipping costs more than the covers! I noticed you have a large planter next to them with no cover. I'm wondering about growing in them without a cover. Last year I made homemade ones out of garbage bags, but ended up taking them off, because the mix I used was holding too much water.

Thanks for the update!

I've never grown ground cherries before. This one is called Cossack Pineapple. Very eager
to try them.
Couple years ago I purchased a lot of the earthbox covers. I figured everything gets expensive
as time goes on, so I stocked up on them. They still work good without the cover. The fertilizer
I mix into the soil really good. I don't put it as a stripe on top anymore.
I need to find a place for all those plants on the deck, so my brother can get to the BBQ. :lol:

Smitty, grow bags are cheap plastic bags with holes on bottom. First time I'm trying them.

Well, that was smart of you to plan ahead on the Earthbox covers! Wish I'd have thought of that.

I hear you on clearing a path to the BBQ. That's the one area I don't put any containers. Even though my husband's pretty tolerant of my gardening obsession, he would put his foot down if he couldn't get to his grill!

I don't know if you have any little ones around, but my kids love the ground cherries. Since they fall off when ripe, the kids love searching around for the little packages. Most don't ever make it inside the house. They peel and eat them on the spot. If you can save enough of them, they make decent jam, and a pretty tasty pie.

Starting to see some pods.

Chocolate Bhut
DSCN0922.jpg

Hot Cherry
DSCN0921.jpg

Scotch Bonnet
DSCN0920.jpg

Wild Brazil
DSCN0923.jpg

Can't wait for these to ripen up.
DSCN0926.jpg

Back