• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue?
    Then ask in Identification.

My freaking cat likes to eat pepper plants!

I might have to try one of the Chinese recipes I've found for cat. (jkg)

My Persian got onto my seedling table today while I was at work and ate the tops off of several of my seedlings.

His butt has been spanked and his ears hurt from my yelling at him.

He's gone for several years since doing that to any of my plants. I thought he was over it.

He got a Chocolate Hab, a White Bullet and a Red Savina. They'll all live, but they're half as tall now.

I've thought of spraying some pepper juice on them. Anyone ever try it? He'd only do it one more time if I did that!

pharmerlaura said:
We rubbed a hot pepper on our house plants. The cat thinks he needs to chew on em daily. He quit untill the pepper wore off.
Cool. I'll put some on with a q-tip. I've put some on my finger before and let him sniff it. He makes it clear he doesn't like it. I'll put some on them in the morning.

Thanks for the info.

TRy dehy`ing a couple of peppers and putting the powder on the plants.I`m doing that here with deer and it works.The cat might not be real happy but!!!I`m useing dehy habs now and next yr nagas.Hate to hurt them but SAVE THE PEPPER!

Nat,

I feel your pain! When I was hardening some plants this spring, a ral cold night was forecast. I brought the plants in but forgot to make them inaccessible to the cat(s). Same result as you - no tops left.

Mike

Have a friend in the u.k who used naga powder..the cat bolted and doesnt go near his plants now.bit cruel as the cat rolled round the garden and didn't come back for a day..but it worked..just a little though :shocked:

Put a dehydrated hot pepper in a spray bottle of warm water and leave overnight. Then spray.

I bet he won't like it. ;)

I don't know about cats but I tried pepper spray and chilli powder to stop my dog going for the plants but he licked it off. Mad dog 357 works though.

hixs said:
TRy dehy`ing a couple of peppers and putting the powder on the plants.I`m doing that here with deer and it works.The cat might not be real happy but!!!I`m useing dehy habs now and next yr nagas.Hate to hurt them but SAVE THE PEPPER!
Thanks Hixs. That would be easier than using a q-tip.

wordwiz said:
Nat,

I feel your pain! When I was hardening some plants this spring, a ral cold night was forecast. I brought the plants in but forgot to make them inaccessible to the cat(s). Same result as you - no tops left. Mike
Yep, he acted like it was a dinner salad.

talas said:
Have a friend in the u.k who used naga powder..the cat bolted and doesnt go near his plants now.bit cruel as the cat rolled round the garden and didn't come back for a day..but it worked..just a little though :shocked:
I'll try the Habs first. I don't want to hurt the little guy.

QuadShotz said:
Put a dehydrated hot pepper in a spray bottle of warm water and leave overnight. Then spray. I bet he won't like it. ;)
I'm betting you'll win that bet. I have a couple of dried Habs I'm going to use.

rainbowberry said:
I don't know about cats but I tried pepper spray and chilli powder to stop my dog going for the plants but he licked it off. Mad dog 357 works though.
Now that's funny! It sounds like he liked the first batch! Mexican Dog???hehe Tell him to do something in Spanish! If he understands, then you've got it!

you getting any blow from Fay yet Nat?

Actually, I'd imagine a fresh pepper would work as well or better, I've just not tried it that way as all I had were dried ones. I wonder if cats hate garlic as much as aphids do? :)

QuadShotz said:
Actually, I'd imagine a fresh pepper would work as well or better, I've just not tried it that way as all I had were dried ones. I wonder if cats hate garlic as much as aphids do? :)
I'm gonna try some Habs first. I don't want to tramatize the little fella. I like him. He's pretty old. He's just being a cat.

NatGreenMeds said:
I'm gonna try some Habs first. I don't want to tramatize the little fella. I like him. He's pretty old. He's just being a cat.
My kitten had a problem with trying to eat my food off of the coffee table. (Haven't picked up my kitchen table yet.) Trust me. Letting him eat some food off of my plate a couple times with some habs DOES THE TRICK!!:hell::lol: The reaction is funny too. He runs around and keeps shaking his head and keeps licking his nose:lol:. I've yet to see him try for my food so far:lol:

AlabamaJack said:
you getting any blow from Fay yet Nat?

Hey, hey, hey, no drug deals here... I know he has meds in his name, but...

thehotpepper.com said:

oops... :lol:

thehotpepper.com said:

Rofl the thought had passed..But i slapped it down and told it to go get a life :lol:

rabbit said:
My kitten had a problem with trying to eat my food off of the coffee table. (Haven't picked up my kitchen table yet.) Trust me. Letting him eat some food off of my plate a couple times with some habs DOES THE TRICK!! The reaction is funny too. He runs around and keeps shaking his head and keeps licking his nose. I've yet to see him try for my food so far
Ha! I can see it! I'm going to do as QS suggested and put some dried Habs in water and spray the plants. I'm hoping that will work.

thehotpepper.com said:
Now THAT'S funny!

AlabamaJack said:
Funny how words can mean so many things if taken out of context....hehe

Back