• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse My greenhouse chilli progress

Hi there,

My name is Kev this is my first season for growing chillies in the UK, I had a Cheyenne plant for my birthday last year which got me started with growing them.

Here is a few pictures of my progress

Picture 1 - Orange Habanero
Picture 2 - Scotch Bonnet
Picture 3 - Little Elf
Picture 4 - Jalapeno & Cheyenne
Picture 5 - All Plants
Picture 6 - Fatali
Picture 7 - Paper Lantern Habanero
Picture 8 - Bhut Jolokia
Picture 1 - Orange Habanero
Picture 2 - Scotch Bonnet
Picture 3 - Little Elf
Picture 4 - Jalapeno & Cheyenne
Picture 5 - All Plants
Picture 6 - Fatali
Picture 7 - Paper Lantern Habanero
Picture 8 - Bhut Jolokia

SAM_1745Copy.jpg

SAM_1753Copy.jpg

SAM_1754Copy.jpg

SAM_1759Copy.jpg

SAM_1760Copy.jpg

SAM_1767Copy.jpg

SAM_1770Copy.jpg

SAM_1774Copy.jpg

Looks great. How much longer of a growing season do you have in the UK using the greenhouse? The days are getting very cool here in Ohio and I am reminded every day that it is only a matter of a few weeks until I have to put the HPS light into service to keep a few plants, and the rest go by by until next year.

By the way, if you've never eaten the paper lanterns before, you might be suprised to find out that they have a completely different taste than their cousin the habanero. As a matter of fact, I prefer it to the orange hab.

lovely greenhouse, do you mind sharing a more general photo of the greenhouse itself? it looks well built i must say.

The greenhouse is a Halls Popular 6ft x 8ft Green with FULL SHEET toughened safety glass 2 x Auto Roof vents and 1 x Louvre vent.

I built the greenhouse about 5 months ago now, it's been great.

SAM_1775-CopyCopy.jpg

File host Photobucket seems to be playing up at the moment that hosts my pictures

man all glass, thats nice. im assuming glass is superior to polycarbonate with respect to blocking light?

and those toms are going gangbusters in there... loaded down hardcore.

man all glass, thats nice. im assuming glass is superior to polycarbonate with respect to blocking light?

and those toms are going gangbusters in there... loaded down hardcore.

toughened safety glass is much better as you can have it in a full pane where as if you choose horticultural glass which is cheaper it only comes in half size so those full panes you see in my pics would be cut in half, the cheaper glass is much more dangerous if it breaks. The safety glass is really strong once fitted but you have to be really careful when putting it in if you catch the very edge it can shatter almost explode into little bits.

You can also get it with polycarbonate which is cheaper again but you risk the chance of it blowing out in high winds.

I have picked loads of tomatoes off those plans too, they were really loaded up, the toms are in grow bags with watering pots fitted on the top of the bags, you feed the center of the pot with the soil in and fill the outer rim with water and it slowly drips through, it's a really good system.

Back