• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My grow is EXTREME!

.....extremely lame. Thought I'd pop the Extreme growing section's cherry on this new bad boy layout Boss has slapped down on us.

So I've got a question for all that make AACT. Or people that know about growing organically...maybe have some science on the subject.

I've been making AACT's. The first one I made I used city water but aerated the water for a few hours prior to starting the brew. The second batch I made, I used rain water. (Which is awesome and I will be trying to collect more if we ever get any flippin' rain)

My question: An hour after I watered and foliar fed the garden with the AACT, I turned on the sprinkler to really get the garden watered good. (I don't have a big enough setup to make enough tea to water the garden to my liking) If we are aerating the water to make the tea because it is no good for the growth of beneficial bacteria and fungi....is it counter productive to water my garden with the city water? Does this totally negate the effects of the AACT? Does it kill all of the goodness I've brewed?

Any help of the subject would be much appreciated.

peppers_costarica_500_400.JPG
Kewl.

I wondered this as well. I water with city water normally, and add teas as a supplement. I've wondered if the chlorine in the water is killing all the goodies I worked so hard to grow in my teas.

I have started to bubble a second larger container of water for a few hours before my tea is ready so that I'm not diluting the fresh tea with chlorinated tap water.

I took a tour of my city's water treatment plant a few years ago, and I was told they are trying to stop from chlorinating the water at a high level. They pass all the water through UV lamps to kill the bacteria and fungi. The chlorine is now just used to catch any micro-organisms that might be shaded from the UV by other micros in the water and to keep the distribution system sterile.

It would be nice to know what concentrations of Cl are toxic to beneficial microbes that are used in organic growing.

Well this post worked out well......extreme! I think I may have to post this a second time in the free section.....wonder if that is allowed since I did not get any answers here....hmmmm.

Give the section some time, there's only a handful of Extreme right now. :)

Yo Bro!

All is good to water with what thou village haseth giveth to thee. If its the chlorine your concerned about, It will certainly kill off some of your micro dudes, but there will be billions that survive. The chlorine is so minimal around here as is, just our hard ass water. Anyways, in the ground any residual chlorine will just form various chlorides that are harmless at those concentrations and dissolve back into the earth.

I know it Boss! I was just being a smart ass.

My night in shinning armor. What up Alex! Thanks for the exact answer I was looking for. I just don't want to be wasting time, energy and money, practicing counter productive methods.

We are ~ two miles from our city water treatment plant. We have maximum flow mains being very near the largest water consumer in the county.

I just ran a simple experiment with our lawn sprinkler and the city water.
  1. Open the outside water valve, let run for 5 min. take sample.
  2. Turn on lawn sprinkler and collect water sample in 12” stainless bowl placed under the spray pattern.
  3. Titrate samples for total chlorine.

Results: Incoming water as supplied to sprinkler: 0.90 ppm chlorine
Water from bowl collected on the lawn: less than 0.20 ppm chlorine

Conclusion – The quantity of chlorine in municipal water is insignificant in gardening and the minimal aeration of simply spraying the water dissipates most, if not all the Cl.

The following is a good quick read -- http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1548.html

is it counter productive to water my garden with the city water?

while I can't speak to AACT (yet) I can about the use of city water...I had a rain collection system set up where I could catch 150 gallons...that was cool except, I had 300 plants and that would water them twice and it had to be done by hand...so I broke it down and stored it....anyway, my fertigation system (which I highly recommend to all growers) uses straight tap water and I have not noticed any ill effects to the plants....if my plants can grow bigger or produce more that would be cool but I really don't need them to...they are pretty large as it is...I probably will get one of the filters that KD linked to...

Anyways, in the ground any residual chlorine will just form various chlorides that are harmless at those concentrations and dissolve back into the earth.

wonder if chlorine "leaches" out like some of the nutrients you give the plant does?....

maybe this might help.. ive been watering my plants with this connected to my hose... yes.. i manually water my plants.. got this tip from MELISSA

You know, I had not thought of using that filter but I have one on my travel trailer...you never know the quality of water at campgrounds...

Wow, that is a great find. I have been looking for one of these for a while now and all of them I have found are around $75 and have bad reviews.

IMO, any RV place that sells motor-homes or camp trailers should have them....I got mine down here at McLain's Camper's World (or something like that)...they say change it yearly...wish they would give the amount of water you can run through it to tell you when to change instead of a year...

I just ran a simple experiment with our lawn sprinkler and the city water.
  1. Open the outside water valve, let run for 5 min. take sample.
  2. Turn on lawn sprinkler and collect water sample in 12” stainless bowl placed under the spray pattern.
  3. Titrate samples for total chlorine.

Results: Incoming water as supplied to sprinkler: 0.90 ppm chlorine
Water from bowl collected on the lawn: less than 0.20 ppm chlorine

that's cool....wonder what I would get if I tested mine coming out of the drippers...and if there is any significant difference (>25%) between your findings and mine....something I can do in my "spare" time...

am headed to Luckenbach this morning...got a gig to play tomorrow from 4-7...out under the tree's behind the store...will be hot but there will be plenty of Ice Cold Shiner and Corona...

"There's nothing there, except a store and some tree's,
A bar in the back, where you do as you please,
A post office and a dancehall and an old cotton gin,
When the music starts playin' they all start to grin"

a verse out of my song "Luckenbach Moon" and if you are looking for more than the verse say's, it's probably not the best place for you...

AJ, I had never thought to check with an RV place for one of these. All of the expensive ones are made for home and garden use. When my military contract expired I vowed to never go "camping" again, and that includes RV's, tents, cabins, and hotels with too many trees nearby.

Speaking as a Master Plumber, the sanitizing agents added to tap water will dissipate upon contact with organic materials, a lot of water treatment
facility's have moved from Chlorine to Bromine or The UV systems. If you have a heavy chlorine odor in the water the ph of the water may be to blame.
As a farmer, the water should be fine to water your garden with, I've been watering 1 1/2 acres of gardens with lo pressure drip irrigation with city water for 9 years and the only damage was to my wallet!

Back