• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My Holy Grail for Hot Sauce

So this has been discussed a little elsewhere but I figured it might be useful to make a dedicated thread, for my own benefit of being able to go back and review. We all like hoshaker bottle?t sauce right? And the healthful effects of spice are pretty well documented. But so are the health benefits of fermented foods, which, aside from the taste is a reason I got into making kimchi.

So the holy grail for me is, to make and ferment a product that can be bottled, and is shelf stable for at least 90 days, un-refrigerated, without having to cook and kill off all the good bacteria. Is this realistic? Attainable? Even if it is, would it even be possible to slow down the bacterial activity enough to prevent exploding the shaker bottle? Is there a happy medium?

I've never seen yogurt or kimchi that didn't require refrigeration, but beer and wine don't. Granted its a different organism that I believe is dead at the time of bottling. Is this even worth pursuing?

Holy Grail?

Zoot: Welcome, gentle sir Knight. Welcome to the Castle Anthrax.
Sir Galahad: The Castle Anthrax?
Zoot: Yes, it's not a very good name, is it? Oh, but we are nice, and we will attend to your every, every need.
Zoot: Oh, I am afraid our life must seem very dull and quiet compared to yours. We are but eight-score young blonds and brunettes, all between 16 and 19 1/2, cut off in this castle with no one to protect us. Oooh, it is a lonely life: Bathing, dressing, undressing, making exciting underwear. We are just not used to handsome knights.
Dingo: You must spank her well, and after you are done with her, you may deal with her as you like, and then spank me.
Nuns: And me. And me too. And me.
Dingo: Yes. Yes, you must give us all a good spanking. And after the spanking, the oral sex.
Galahad: Well, I could stay a bit longer.
[Sir Lancelot crashes in, grabs Galahad and rushes out of the castle]
Lancelot: We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril.
Galahad: I don't think I was.
Lancelot: Yes, you were. You were in terrible peril.
Galahad: Look, let me go back in there and face the peril.
Lancelot: No, it's far too perilous.
Galahad: Look, it's my duty as a knight to sample as much peril as I can.
Lancelot: No, we've got to find the Holy Grail. Come on.
Galahad: Oh, let me have just a little bit of peril?
Lancelot: No. It's unhealthy.
Galahad: I bet you're gay.
Lancelot: No, I'm not.
/Monty Python

:D

Sorry - on topic, I don't think it's possible to have an active bacteria product unrefrigerated. Isn't it the refrigeration that slows down the process and stabilizes it? I dunno - I'm no rocket surgeon.

Back