beer My Homebrews

Nice man! My first few all grains were super hazy too.

Eventually I got this
clearbeer.JPG

Most importantly how does it taste?

Just read tru this tread I havenever brewed beer
so lets sat that the SHTF you can not now buy ingredients to brew you beer
can you keep a yeast culture for beer going
can you grow your own grains and turn them into wort and if so whaat kind and how do you do it
can you grow your own hops and what kinds
since sugar would be hard to get could you sub honey for the sugar
so is it possible to raise everything you need to brew beer

frdlturner said:
Just read tru this tread I havenever brewed beer
so lets sat that the SHTF you can not now buy ingredients to brew you beer
can you keep a yeast culture for beer going
can you grow your own grains and turn them into wort and if so whaat kind and how do you do it
can you grow your own hops and what kinds
since sugar would be hard to get could you sub honey for the sugar
so is it possible to raise everything you need to brew beer

1) yes
2) yes
3) yes. Depends where you are located, but many kinds
4) depending what you are using sugar for, yes
5) it is possible

wheebz said:
nice man

I grabbed me some bling from that contest 2 years ago, good stuff and congrats

Yeah man. I remember that. You tore it up that year. They haven't done as well since I do not think. and thanks!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
nice,.. just moved over ROUGE brutal IPA in for second ferment.. should be ready to keg  by st pattys
St pattys day beer eh? Nice. I made an irish stout I just kegged for st pattys day.

HigherThisHeat said:

St pattys day beer eh? Nice. I made an irish stout I just kegged for st pattys day.

Congratulations on your win. I made an Irish Stout Extract Kit recently. This one: http://www.brupaks.com/bchoice%20stout.htm

Far too light to be honest. Needed more bitterness as well. It loses all flavour when served straight from the fridge, but isn't great even when sat at room temperature for an hour or so. 

I have a question for you guys. I have the edge star mini kegerator and it fits and houses a 5 liter keg mini keg that is. I was wondering? can I self carbonate by adding priming sugar to it and not use a co2 tank or is a co2 tank required regardless

wheebz said:

and that would be why
 Are you dismissing all extract kits as rubbish? They were meant to be a stepping stone for me from Full Kits to All Grain. May have to make that jump sooner than I thought. 

I am.

I think they are a great way to get into brewing. If you are casually brewing only 3 or 4 times a year, sure, they kinda work, and are easy.

If you really like it, move to all grain as soon as possible. It is much more rewarding when you make a beer that all of a sudden tastes like it came from a real brewery as opposed to a metallic extract tasting brew that you get from every kit you use.

Yeah I definitely agree. It's fine if you're gonna brew here and there.

I know people say extract beer, if made with fresh ingredients and proper fermentation temps can be just as good as an all grain beer. I personally have yet to try one that didn't taste like an extract beer.

The jump from extract to all grain seems intimidating before you have actually done it, but I'd definitely recommend just diving in head first. You'll see that all grain is just as easy and you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

I know I did

One of these days ...

I only want to be able to brew one kind of beer ... stout.

I need to figure out if that is an easier, or harder, variety ... if it requires more or less equipment than being setup for all types etc ...

Back