beer My Homebrews

good old Greg Rapp

one of the good homebrewer to probrewer success stories, which doesnt happen too often

should be a fun job

is he fermenting in stainless yet?

used to have like 15 1bbl plastic shitsies laying around that staged cold room 

HigherThisHeat said:
Ya shoulda,GM. So what is your opinion?

Weebz, gonna be at Rapp Brewing

Depended on 2 things to me ...

1) Whether or not I'd be able to afford to insure myself via Affordable Care Act/Obamacare ...
2) Whether or not I thought there would be a probability of gaining exposure in the new opportunity ...

I'm not familiar w/ Rapp, but a 30 second Google search would seem to indicate it's a pretty cool opportunity to brew a lot of different beer (small batch, 2 barrel I think I see on their Twitter account) ...

I don't know, I thought the other option sounded good ... brewing your beer w/ the big-name brewery ... see, that's exposure and recognition, that would likely be recorded/made public ...

That's probably inherently more valuable ... depending on what you want to do long term ...

I haven't seen where being a brewer, and not an owner, looks all that lucrative ...

If you can work at Rapp, and also run a blog or something of your own, that would be cool ... especially if you can co-opt the media resources ...

That's how I look at it ... but, I mean ... I'm tired of other people making money on my back in general ...

he has a job that he knows, that's been stable, that has benefits, and which he can do without it bleeding outside of work hours - ALL FROM HOME ...

it's clearly virtual - via computer etc ...

i think he said he would be a brewery ASSISTANT ...

i would have a hard time entrusting a brewery with my career if they didn't believe in providing insurance ... but especially since it's a physical job ...

65k is cool, but he could have the reliability of his remote job for whatever bigcorp it is (i didn't notice if and when he ever said), and make the better part of that and have consistency, and make up the difference of the two salaries by starting his own brewing business ...

he could run a blog, a podcast, a magazine, and probably make AND OWN the difference ...

i told you the same thing ...

you can't entrust a brewery to promote you, it's counter what they want ... they don't want to train you up, and then have you go off, so most aren't going to be participant to that ...

if you can't see how to get where you want to get to eventually, it's errant to believe that they will be helpful towards that ...

i would absolutely make sure there's no reason why i couldn't Do My Thing while working, because some places get weird about shit like that ...

weird non-compete type shit ...
wheebz said:
I was just a brewer at Wyndridge and I made 65k a year, so its not that bad

however I do know brewers that make like 12 dollars an hour so

contract brewing and building a brand ahead of time seems prudent ...

i always figured if i ever wanted to take a shot, later, that i would get pricing for contract batches from people starting up, who might like to get some extra cycles on their equipment or rented space they aren't utilizing ...

i mean ... i dunno ...

i could imagine having a business that only brews kegs for weddings, made available to wedding planners, and where i bought some volume of wort, broke it down and made a bunch of beers off the base via yeast/hops/adjuncts, and stored it in a walk-in in the backyard ...

you could totally start to develop a brand while contract brewing, and then you'd be confronting the real deal ... selling your beer.

Yeah its tough man. I work such a shitty boring monotonous job. It's meaningless work, I have zero pride on what I do. It's just a job with no end results. I'm just a number on a spreadsheet.

Regardless of pay, I'd be doing, and learning a valuable trade that I actually love to do. I've never had a job doing what I do in my spare time... that right there is a huge reason why I'm doing it.

Also, at least for now, I don't have any money for a brewing education, and I suspect getting my foot in the door is a good second option to that. With zero professional experience, this is a good opportunity.

And of course some day I would like to do my own thing, or partner up, or whatever, so I feel the experience is 100% necessary.

I'm not getting any younger so how I see it is, if not now then when?

Overall my attitude is just FUCK IT. Let's take the plunge and see what unfolds.

Overall, money will not make you happy if you don't enjoy your job presently. You can buy some things and it will make you happy until the newness wears off, then you're back to waking up and forcing yourself to do something you hate.

Find something you like to do, and you're good at, and the money will follow. Sounds to me like you're on the right track. You'll be excited to go to work when it's something that you want to do all the time. I hope it all works out for you. Sounds promising.

HigherThisHeat said:
Yeah its tough man. I work such a shitty boring monotonous job. It's meaningless work, I have zero pride on what I do. It's just a job with no end results. I'm just a number on a spreadsheet.

Regardless of pay, I'd be doing, and learning a valuable trade that I actually love to do. I've never had a job doing what I do in my spare time... that right there is a huge reason why I'm doing it.

Also, at least for now, I don't have any money for a brewing education, and I suspect getting my foot in the door is a good second option to that. With zero professional experience, this is a good opportunity.

And of course some day I would like to do my own thing, or partner up, or whatever, so I feel the experience is 100% necessary.

I'm not getting any younger so how I see it is, if not now then when?

Overall my attitude is just f**k IT. Let's take the plunge and see what unfolds.

There's a balance, where either they are capitalizing on your winning Homebrewer of the Year, or you are capitalizing on winning Homebrewer of the Year ...

Just make sure if it's not the latter, that it's at least balanced.

HigherThisHeat said:
Man, I wouldn't even know where to begin to capitalize on fl HBOTY.

Turns out, no one really gives a shit lol

wordpress.com
https://squareup.com/
http://www.bluemic.com/snowball/

lol ...
HigherThisHeat said:
Man, I wouldn't even know where to begin to capitalize on fl HBOTY.

Turns out, no one really gives a shit lol

i think i'd try to see if i couldn't go brew a beer each day of my vacation from #zombiejob at different breweries around the state ...

it's never too early to try to collab ...

have you brewed anything interesting? ...

Everything is give and take. You have to give to get a little. With little to no brewery experience, or brewing education, I'm sure he will be on the short end of the stick to start off.

But, he has an opportunity now. And honestly, sometimes you really do just have to say, fuck it. I'm sure you'll always be able to find another job that you don't like if it doesn't work out. But, at least you will have given it a shot.

Ozzy2001 said:
But, he has an opportunity now. And honestly, sometimes you really do just have to say, f**k it. I'm sure you'll always be able to find another job that you don't like if it doesn't work out. But, at least you will have given it a shot.

Exactly this!

I can always land another shitty job if it doesn't work out

ill be honest as a brewery owner if someone came to me and wanted a job and one of their achievements was Homebrewer of the Year, I wouldnt give a shit unless it was like AHA Homebrewer of the Year of the entire country, and even then i would still have to train you how to do everything all over again

I wasn't coming at it from a skill-set perspective, I was coming it from a sales perspective ...

Similar to collab beers ...

I can't think of one that's mind-blowingly good, or any that even matter to me ...

They all do them all of the time, and it appears (at least critically) that it's mostly just cross-promotion ...

Mostly I just see brewery's talking about having brewed beers w/ people to make it a little more interesting than what it really is ... a beer from the recipe list ...

This is John's Oatmeal stout that he brewed with Lisa from the Humane Society ...

Lisa likes chocolate labs and chocolate stout and has huge titties - just look at John's smile while Lisa bends over to wipe out that mash tun ...

wheebz said:
ill be honest as a brewery owner if someone came to me and wanted a job and one of their achievements was Homebrewer of the Year, I wouldnt give a shit unless it was like AHA Homebrewer of the Year of the entire country, and even then i would still have to train you how to do everything all over again
No doubt. And I know that. That's why this is a great opportunity. My foot is now officially in the door.

And this was my 4th brew job offer I received before accepting.... Actually weebz, my first offer was from Darwin... I declined. And what a good decision that turned out to be.

That place WAS* a joke

4th is closed, and now it's just the tastinf room/production brewery left in Bradenton

Perhaps you have heard the most recent stuff, but the brewer dude changed the original recipes and what not. Dumbed em down from when you were there... they suck now. Can't see them winning many awards these days

Back