• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil My idea for soil?

Well i think im probaly going to switch soil tommorow. I have this miracle grow moisture control and hate it. I was thinking f doing a 3-1-1 of top soil, composted cow manure, and a compost mix of grass and leaves mainly. (or maybe 1/2) I dont know i was just wanting to get some ideas on it.

When I use composted cow poop I'm always worried about it being too hot still so I mix it in the soil a few months before I'm going to plant to let it chill-out so to speak.

Just go with Pro-Mix BX and don't worry about it. I've never used anything that makes roots faster than this stuff. I can't wait to get some in a 5 gallon and plant out. Just look at PRF's plants. I used to use Miracle Grow and it worked, but the difference in quality is very apparent. If you like to experiment, that's another thing, but there's no need to reinvent the wheel IMO. Just look at what the really good growers use.

ok tell me something...

i am almost ready to plant out / hardening off at first of course... and i was wondering what i should do..

stick to coco coir or repot them into bigger pots with pro-mix BX...

pro-mix BX is cheaper right ?

i would love to stick with coco coir but i am going to need alot of it to repot them all into 5 Gallon containers and its not cheap..

my worry is this.. my plants are finally doing well and i dont want to screw that up with a drastic change like that...

also would i have to change the nutes i use if i were to go with PRO-MIX BX ?

straight PRO-MIX BX or do you all do some kind of blend ?

can i repot the coco coir into larger containers of PRO-MIX BX and just stick with the nutes that i am using ?

i am also worried about the coco coir drying out faster outside then being indoors..

i feel stressed all of a sudden..

im the rambling man, i know..lol

bigt said:
Just go with Pro-Mix BX and don't worry about it. I've never used anything that makes roots faster than this stuff. I can't wait to get some in a 5 gallon and plant out. Just look at PRF's plants. I used to use Miracle Grow and it worked, but the difference in quality is very apparent. If you like to experiment, that's another thing, but there's no need to reinvent the wheel IMO. Just look at what the really good growers use.
Im not trying to get the best plants on the site and i dont want to fork out to much money. Do you think this mix would work well though

Hotpeppa said:
ok tell me something...

i am almost ready to plant out / hardening off at first of course... and i was wondering what i should do..

stick to coco coir or repot them into bigger pots with pro-mix BX...

pro-mix BX is cheaper right ?

i would love to stick with coco coir but i am going to need alot of it to repot them all into 5 Gallon containers and its not cheap..

my worry is this.. my plants are finally doing well and i dont want to screw that up with a drastic change like that...

also would i have to change the nutes i use if i were to go with PRO-MIX BX ?

straight PRO-MIX BX or do you all do some kind of blend ?

can i repot the coco coir into larger containers of PRO-MIX BX and just stick with the nutes that i am using ?

i am also worried about the coco coir drying out faster outside then being indoors..

i feel stressed all of a sudden..

im the rambling man, i know..lol

You are almost ready for plant out? I have another month in Minnesota!:shocked:

Hotpeppa said:
ok tell me something...

i am almost ready to plant out / hardening off at first of course... and i was wondering what i should do.. stick to coco coir or repot them into bigger pots with pro-mix BX...
pro-mix BX is cheaper right ? i would love to stick with coco coir but i am going to need alot of it to repot them all into 5 Gallon containers and its not cheap.. my worry is this.. my plants are finally doing well and i dont want to screw that up with a drastic change like that...
also would i have to change the nutes i use if i were to go with PRO-MIX BX ? straight PRO-MIX BX or do you all do some kind of blend ? can i repot the coco coir into larger containers of PRO-MIX BX and just stick with the nutes that i am using ?
i am also worried about the coco coir drying out faster outside then being indoors.. i feel stressed all of a sudden.. im the rambling man, i know..lol

I'm adding Osmocote to my Pro-Mix at transplant time (pot up). It's supposed to feed them for 4 months. I'm not sure what Cappy (PRF) used at pot up time. You might ask him. He is a Pro-Mix expert. Osmocote is simple and I don't think peppers are that picky as long as they get sun and water.

imaguitargod said:
When I use composted cow poop I'm always worried about it being too hot still so I mix it in the soil a few months before I'm going to plant to let it chill-out so to speak.

I was told this had to breathe ,like a bottle of wine when youn open the bag!24 hrs...
Master gerdener info.

Back