• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

My Idol's you gotta love them

Police foil oddball 'chili' heist

By GORDON DRITSCHILO Rutland HErald STAFF - Published: September 8, 2009

BENNINGTON — Police said they caught four people trying to get the giant pepper off Chili's restaurant early Sunday morning.

Police said the foursome ran an extension cord across Route 67 to power an electric drill they used to detach the logo sign from atop the building.

Susan Michet, 22, and Asher Woodworth, 23, both of North Bennington, were cited for grand larceny along with Claire Davis of Lee, Mass., and Sophia Giordano of Williamstown, Mass., both 22, according to police.

Sgt. Camillo Grande said two are college students, one is a recent graduate and another is "between work and school. He said he asked if the attempted theft was part of a scavenger hunt or other series of pranks police should watch out for and was told it was a spur of the moment act.

"They really didn't plan it," he said Sunday. "One of their friends had an eye on the chili and they got together last night and decided they were going to get it for the friend."

Toward that end, police said the foursome assembled a hack saw and power drill they used to remove the bolts holding the chili to the roof. Grande said they planned to make their getaway with the sign, valued at $8,000, in an SUV.

"I'm not sure how it was going to fit," he said. "It's a pretty large chili."

To power the drill, Grande said they connected 470 feet of extension cords that they ran from the Chili's building, across all four lanes of the road and through the parking lot of Home Depot to a nearby outlet. While Route 67 is well-traveled, Grande said the cords did not seem to obstruct traffic.

The alarm at the Chili's activated at about 4:30 a.m., and police said they arrived to find one person on the roof, two hiding in the bushes and another running away. Police said they took all four into custody without incident.

The foursome had succeeded in freeing the sign from its bolts when police arrived. The Bennington Rural Fire Department helped collect evidence on the roof.

Grande said the last such incident he could think of was 15 years ago. He said a Ronald McDonald statue was stolen from outside the McDonald's and only recently recovered. gordon.dritschilo@rutlandherald.com

See, they did too much unneccisary work. For stuff like this you need to be in and out. They should have used chordless power tools :lol:

"The alarm at the Chili's activated at about 4:30 a.m:"

They had an alarm wired to the chili? :shocked:

That's pretty silly. I mean isn't grand larceny charge is a felony that they will have that on their records for life? Imagine trying to get a good paying job after explaining you where caught trying to still a 10' chilli from roof of a restaurant? I would do dumb things like that in my early teens, but 22-23 year olds? Prank or not I would make sure they get some time in jail.

cheezydemon said:
What the hell would you do with it?

I know what I would use it for. It would go in the back yard as a center for praying to the almighty Capsaicin Gods. I would build my church around it and have millions of chili-heads come from all around the world to partake in daily rituals (donations of beer would be collected halfway through the service) of eating Nagas.....

Iggy...I could hook you up with some motion sensors. In fact, my pepper beds all have them. You should come over and try and steel some pods to give my system a try. The motion sensors are all hooked up to Pepper Grenades, so while the thief is partaking in a free snatch of pods, they are also getting a face full of pepper spray. :lol:

I would use the giant chili as an alter, laying it flat on some legs. It could also double as an illuminated picnic table.

imaguitargod said:
I know what I would use it for. It would go in the back yard as a center for praying to the almighty Capsaicin Gods. I would build my church around it and have millions of chili-heads come from all around the world to partake in daily rituals (donations of beer would be collected halfway through the service) of eating Nagas.....

That's pretty much what I'd have done. AARGH - get out of my head!

Pepperfreak said:
Iggy...I could hook you up with some motion sensors. In fact, my pepper beds all have them. You should come over and try and steel some pods to give my system a try. The motion sensors are all hooked up to Pepper Grenades, so while the thief is partaking in a free snatch of pods, they are also getting a face full of pepper spray. :lol:

I would use the giant chili as an alter, laying it flat on some legs. It could also double as an illuminated picnic table.
Hmmmm....BRILLIANT! Have you caught anyone yet?

Badger said:
That's pretty much what I'd have done. AARGH - get out of my head!
: focuses thoughts :

Hehehehe, if you wake up in the middle of the night tonight with a strange craving for duct tape, that would be my doing. :hell:

Back