• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor My Indoor Farm

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to do a post so you could check out my first ever set up for producing pods of pain. I converted my walk in closet into a grow room. If you have any tips or pointers I'd love to hear them. Currently, I have 3 different types growing in here. Reapers, Belize Sweet Habaneros, and Dominican Red Habaneros. They are all in 10" clay pots. I really hope that I wont need to transplant into bigger pots because those 10" ones were kinda pricey! Id like to stick with clay because it helps pull water out of the soil faster, which helps fight the edema that capsicum chinense seems to be so prone to. I have one oscillating fan in the closet door and one constant fan that blows directly over the tops of the plants. I also put heavy duty Mylar up on the walls.

They are growing quickly. I already had to move 4 of the 12 plants outside because of lack of space. I hope that my 6' x 4' grow area is going to be enough for the 8 remaining plants. I'd say so far Iv'e already got 30-40 pods developing! I don't think any of them are reapers though... I think they are the dominican red habaneros. Unless there was some cross pollination and I made hybrids. I would be totally cool with hybrids though, as long as they are hot!

Realistically, how long can I keep these plants alive inside? Will they produce peppers the whole time? 

Let me know what you guys think. Growing peppers has been a blast so far, and I know Iv'e found a lifetime hobby in it. There are so many exotic types to try growing. I already have more seeds on the way. Apocalypse Reds, Pumpkin Habaneros, and Pimenta Chris Fat Reds. Going to have to convert my other walk in closet...

Attachments

• IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1651335.jpg
    IMG_1651335.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1656555.jpg
    IMG_1656555.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1414 (11).jpg
    IMG_1414 (11).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 95
stickyfingers111 said:
Yes it would! Let the peppers consume the house. Been thinking of getting some large lizards to set free in here too. Make it more tropical feeling.

Nice!! :rofl:

You'll likely run out of space eventually but it'll take some time in soil. I have two plants growing in hydro in a ~8'x3' closet and there's definitely no room for a third plant after 4 months of growth. 

As to your question about yield and longevity, as long as they're kept in good conditions they'll live for years and produce pods almost indefinitely. But there have been claims of production dropping off after a few years. 

badmoon692004 said:
You'll likely run out of space eventually but it'll take some time in soil. I have two plants growing in hydro in a ~8'x3' closet and there's definitely no room for a third plant after 4 months of growth. 

As to your question about yield and longevity, as long as they're kept in good conditions they'll live for years and produce pods almost indefinitely. But there have been claims of production dropping off after a few years. 

Dang! I was hoping that the closet would work for at least 6 fully grown plants... any tips on talking my lady into letting me convert the guest bedroom into a grow room?  ;)

Since this is my first ever attempt at growing anything, I figured I'd keep it simple. But I have been looking into growing hydroponically. Sounds like a lot of fun! Ironically, I work for a company that grows food hydroponically in cargo shipping containers, so I have access to some cool gear. Do you get a lot of increased pod production doing it that way?

Back