• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My Jalapeños are a different shape this season

Hello all.
At the end of last season I thought I'd have a go at overwintering two of my Jalapeño plants.
Well it actually worked and as soon as it started to warm up again, it started to grow like crazy & I know have two plants that are full of pods and flowers where my others which I grew from seed are just starting to flower.
The thing that I'm a little confused about is that this season all of my Jalapeños are a different shape to last year. Last year they were the typical Jalapeño shape but this year they are all round.
Have I done something wrong?

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

That is normal for overwintered plants. It may be caused by lack of fertility/pollination, short days, or light intensity (lack of) or a combination of those. I suggest cutting off the mini-pods, the plant will start producing normal pods soon.

Meh - shape doesn't matter. Leave the round pods, and do with then what you'd do with any other jalapeno. They should start coming out more normal-shaped later.

I have several two year old jalapenos and they produce pods just like that on occasion :crazy: You can cut them back and repot and they will flourish. It has worked for me! :beer:

Back