• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

My lady's vacation...my heated foodcation

So my girlfriend heads out of town and I get to have whatever I want while gone. She can't do shellfish so I go gangbusters with shrimp, oysters, mussels, crabs...pretty much shellfish (or pork) every night. Then there is the playing with food. New salsas, new pasta recipes, try a different type of pork, add bacon to something, new BBQ, add bacon...you get the idea.

The first meal of the foodcation is Mexican-y and features shrimp. I love black beans, so am making up some super simply flavored acoutrament beans. Throw in some spanish rice on the side with a homemade garlic, tomato, onion and peppers to give the color and flavor. I made up a dried pepper (homegrown) salsa that I will add to the shrimp after I sautee it in butter, garlic and onion. All of this might make it onto a tortilla, but I can't guarantee that.

Time to get making so that I can do up pictures to adorn this awesome site.

I leave you with a teaser.

P1020292.JPG

You gotta be kidding me! Already changed the sheets like ten minutes after she left so that I can have freshly laundered bed tonights all to myself. It was some odd 102 today, so I cranked the A/C in the bedroom to get those things freezing! And for the drinking part, that is well under way ;)

BTW, dinner is almost plated, where a picture will be taken.

You lucky, lucky, .... I can't say it on here. My wife takes up at least 70% of our king size bed. I use to fantasize about crazy, kinky stuff, now it's about having more bed back and peace and quiet. LOL

Can't wait to see dinner plated! What peppers are you using?

alright, it is on my plate but here are the updates. I used Diablo peppers and habanero from the garden then some store boughts.

P1020294.JPG

Made up the zuchini, red pepper sauce and shrimp

P1020295.JPG

Drank a beer or two...

P1020298.JPG

Plated up with my beer along side...oh yeah!!!!!!

time for a fresh beer and seconds on dinner...I eat really well, but I only get these meals once a year, so this is super special for me and the Jack Russel. Time to watch scary movies too!

decided to swap to white wine for the shrimps. Delicious none the less

It is but day one of foodcation...

Day two begins!

I felt that since I am going to be swamped all week with work that I would get a little ahead of the game. Sorry for the cellphone pics.

First I started by baking a loaf of bread that can be used later this evening for a hotdog and then later in the week for a sandwich or two.

photo%2B1-748633.JPG

Then I said, hey! Beef soup. So I put a habanero, garlic, a couple of bells and mirepoix into a pot with some beef and a homebrewed stout. Three hours later I had soup.

photo%2B3-751337.JPG

I know that doesn't look awesome, but it tastes great. Especially with the bread ;)

Then I made some breakfast quiches with bacon, potatoes, peppers, garlic, cheese, egg and broccoli. They will taste great at six in the morning.

photo%2B2-750010.JPG

Last but not least I am out of some tastey sauce. Forget that! I made up a Habanero sauce from last years peppers in order to free up some space in the freezer for the coming crop (from my first ever overwintered plant :) ) It is pretty nice and simple. Just habs, carrots, vinegar, garlic and salt.

photo-750869.JPG

Later there will most likely be a couple of hotdog pictures, but those look similar to all the other hot dog pics.

So I made up a porkiness delight this evening. Although I made up all those others last night, I felt that i should make up something Mexicany. So pork tacos it is. I made the meat tonight and will eat the tacos tomorrow or the next day. The hottest homegrown peppers are the last pics and the storebought guajillos are in the first

P1020305.JPG

P1020307.JPG

Wow you went all out. I love the look of those breakfast quiches. I'm kinda in the same boat, due to high cholesterol i'm not suppose to eat a lot of eggs, red meat etc etc and since I also need to watch my diet I don't get to eat what I want when I want, but when she's out of town it's a free for all!! Thick NY steak, then steak and eggs, then pizza, fried chicken. If she ever left me I would be dead in a year for sure lol.

Going all the way, just to make sure that I am content when she returns and it's back to rabbit food. Those pork tacos were awesome for lunch today. Holy moly, I should have been posting in The Drunken chef last night. That said, my inebriated self somehow allowed my inner chef to come to the forefront enough that those tacos were out of this world delicious. I will be having them again tomorrow. Also on my third day of breakfast quiches. Along with that hab sauce, it is superb.

Moving forward, tonight we are birthing Biscuits and Gravy! WooHoo!

I am making it not tooo super spicy so that my colon can survive a week of spicy deliciousness. This is one of my favorite things in the world and I make a crowd pleasing version of B&G. I can't show off an awesome picture of this version, but it will look something similar to this, which I made this time last year (when SWMBO was out of town)

P1010876.JPG

Minus the tarragon.

I am making the biscuits in about six and two seventeenths minutes. They will be glorious. If I am lazy enough I bought some *refrigerated english muffins as a substitute.

*why would they make a refrigerated english muffin? I don't have to cook it, which makes it bread. What the?

Back