• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds My little LED seedling grow box :)

Hello there!

So, I quickly got this all together the other day while I finally had some free time.
I've used an old wooden reptile vivarium commandeered from a friend, a couple of reptile heat mats with thermostats and 2 RGB LED light panels which are designed to be used when lighting on-stage performers. . . I simply used these because I have access to a fair number of them at no cost to myself :D.

I've been lazy and set the the lights to 50/50 mixture of red and blue, I understand that this probably isn't the ideal ratio of red:blue but it is one of the presets on the light and it eliminates the need for a external controller...which; again, I do have access to if needs be.
Like I said, I'm lazy and short on time at the moment :)

Here are a couple of pictures:

04360FFA-2CB0-4A53-9F15-340D2C00ADD6.jpg

AFB0A06A-8537-41F7-B15E-AF746DD394BD.jpg

C9B37165-6995-408A-A20B-C95800779004.jpg

Here are a few cheap tomato plants that I bought just to test the lights out while I germinate all of my pepper seeds. The 2 on the left have been under the lights for a couple of days, whereas the 2 on the right have been sat on a southfacing windowsill...The picture says it all really. The left hand 2 are looking much better:

8DE3D71A-C17F-4D5F-83BB-E8B766FA64D5.jpg

Now, I've just ordered 4 PC fans and a 4 way speed controller to keep the air circulating and to bring the temperature down a bit, even though the heat mats are thermostat controlled, the lights are not...however they only get warm to the touch but not hot in anyway.

I also hope that the fans will strengthen up the plants by providing a little simulated wind :)

Please feel free to chime in with any reasonable comments or suggestions :)

Hey juanitos and thanks for the reply.

I did think about using a small fan similar to that, but I decided that I quite liked the idea of having in-take and exhaust fans bringing fresh air into the box!

I'm not sure how well they will work...or indeed if they will work too well, but I shall give the PC fans a go. 4 of them plus a cheap controller cost me less than £20 so it's no big deal if it isn't the best solution.

Oh, and I do realise that the box has sliding glass doors which I could leave open to reduce the temperature however we have a cat who would very much like to climb into the nice warm box and go to sleep...which he has already tried to so several times :rolleyes: I don't fancy my little plants getting crushed by this swine:

FE5D2253-80A1-4451-A197-BA95808AD375.jpg

And I'm pretty sure that this little guy would have a good go at eating them if he got himself into the box:

AEAC3196-1CBA-486B-98FE-C0D04362774C.jpg

Back