• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My mantis friend

I just had to get a photo of my little soldier.

We first met early June. At that time he could fit in the center of your small finger nail. He calls him home a Aji Limon and C-red habs. We frequently say hi about everyday.

Well..yesterday I found aphids on a chocolate hab that got really beat up by the little devils earlier this year. As I was walking back into the house to get some neem spray I got a different idea.

So I picked up the chocolate hab and carried it over to my friends home. I very carefully cupped my mantis friend in the palms of my hand and sat him down on the chocolate hab plant. Five minutes later I returned to this [photo]. He was already eyeing his first meal of this plant!

In the morning I'd say 85% of the aphids were gone:cool:

The little soldier needs a name! Any recommendations??

peppers025-1.jpg

How about naming him Peppy!

I had an aphid problem a few weeks ago and got a bag of lady bugs and did the same thing. About half either died or flew away after the first week, but since I got 2500 it didn't matter much. I would on occasion pick up a few from one plant with no aphids and put them on another with aphids. Within seconds the aphids would try and run down the stalk or hide, but it was only a matter of time before the plant was cleaned! Now I have the little larvae adding a 2nd level of defense as well!

Love those guys! I've had a green sheriff or two takin' care o' bidness amongst the plants. The sheriffs also have some deputies....assasin bugs! Badasses I tell ya'.

Salute', TB.

Back