• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My mini Bhut Jolokia Plant......

I got 30 seeds from India back in Feb, and from 30 seeds, I only got one to germinate, and since I only have one, so I put it in one of my fancier Bonsai pot. However its kinda small, I'm just wondering how big do your Bhut Jolokias get? and what kind of harvest do you get per year?

BhutJolokia1.jpg

BhutJolokia2.jpg

BhutJolokia6.jpg

BhutJolokia5.jpg

BhutJolokia4.jpg

BhutJolokia3.jpg

Well here's a pic of mine started from seed back in mid Feb. and so far 1 pod (the heat here keeps them dropping flowers until probably next month) -- had over 100 flowers on it at the point the 2 pods started (lost 1 of the 2 to a wind storm)

bhutpod02.jpg

very cool! kinda like mine!
mine is huge (the noe in a big pot) and including the peppers ive picked and theones grtowing now, id count about 40

looks like you've done everything right Zenman!

my bhut varieties are 2 years old and just producing pods now. but i have lost a lot in the battle, yellow bhuts all died at the same time, choc bhuts, though 2 years old are about the same size as your plants but refuse to produce pods.

i would only recommend putting the plant in a larger pot.

way to go champ!

Mine is small also. Finally it opened its first 2 flowers today. Took long enough, ima be pod if it drops it

In the ground, mine are just a tad over 5ft tall right now. They will probably end up 6-7ft tall by the end of the season.

I have some potted plants (10gal) that are 2 years old that are 4ft tall. I prune them back a couple of times a year but they have never seemed to want to grow any taller than about 4 ft.

looks like you've done everything right Zenman!

my bhut varieties are 2 years old and just producing pods now. but i have lost a lot in the battle, yellow bhuts all died at the same time, choc bhuts, though 2 years old are about the same size as your plants but refuse to produce pods.

i would only recommend putting the plant in a larger pot.

way to go champ!

Ouch, what happend to your bhuts? I notice these plants grow very slowly at the begining, I gave them MG 18-20-20 Tomaoto fert, I found this fert really stimulated pod production. Maybe you can give it ago? Keep us updated :)

Looks like your doin pretty darn good Zenman, just throw it in a larger pot and it should jam.

Thanks :) Yeah, I baby this plant, I was thinking about putting it in a larger pot, but my growing season is almost over, so maybe I will just keep it in this pot till next year. :)

In the ground, mine are just a tad over 5ft tall right now. They will probably end up 6-7ft tall by the end of the season.

I have some potted plants (10gal) that are 2 years old that are 4ft tall. I prune them back a couple of times a year but they have never seemed to want to grow any taller than about 4 ft.

Wow nice!

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Ouch, what happend to your bhuts? I notice these plants grow very slowly at the begining, I gave them MG 18-20-20 Tomaoto fert, I found this fert really stimulated pod production. Maybe you can give it ago? Keep us updated [/background] :)

in the past 2 years, i have used plantprod 15-15-30 tomato fert and miracle gro 18-18-21 tomato fert. then, they get a huge dose of seaweed fert tea. then just when they think there are no surprises left, they get a shot of GH flora & bloom. everything else loves what i am doing, everything gets treated the same! for whatever reason the yellows just died off this year and the choc bhut went stagnant, i even potted up and gave them some myke just incase they were lacking microbes(which i doubt from my foamy seaweed & worm teas). my other bhut varieties like bombay morich, dorset naga and indian carbon all have monster pods.

1 choc bhut has 2 small flowers but my night time lows will be taking a toll on some plants and with about 100 plants, i can only baby the sick ones for a short time, then the focus has to be on the producers. you have to remember while your night temps allow you to sleep in the nude, we have to wear our wholly mammoth p/j's! 8C for the past few nights, hell Banff was -1C this morning.

i'll endevour!

[sub]Mine was started from seed late this season (May) but some pods about to ripen soon I hope. 5 feet tall now and loaded.[/sub]

[sub]
holyjolokia.jpg
[/sub]

ZenPepper,

I primarily attribute this to our very favorable climate here in Georgia. It's just about perfect for growing chile peppers. Also, I use a large (5 gallon) container, good potting mix and fertilizer. Anyway, it has done well and now has ripe pods on it.

Mike
Visit us Online: www.knot2worry.us

Back