• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My new experiment- Outdoor Hydro

Howdy Pepperheads,

Well it has been a long time in the making, but finally finished my Outdoor Hydro Channel a couple of months ago. The project has taken a while and was suppose to be completed for Summer and not the end of Summer DOH!
Here is a pic of the Channel after the plants went in.
rimg01146.jpg

The Channel is approx 6Mtrs L x 650mm W x 200mm D. It runs on a recycling nutrient tank and uses a spray bar down the middle with the Channel on a slant so the nutrient runs back into the tank. Also the Medium is Expanded clay.
Seeing it was the end of summer I used established plants that were in soil. The plants went through a lot of shock and lost most of their leaves.

Now a couple of months down the track and the Channel is starting to look like this.
rimg0211.jpg

They definitely seem to like this style of growing, specially with the auto watering.

Here are some of the residents.
rimg0245.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion- Orange
rimg0225.jpg

7-Pod- Yellow

Hope you enjoy and will post some more pictures of the residents.

Micca

Some more residents.

rimg0217.jpg

Arabian Scorpion
rimg0230.jpg

Chock Demon Hab
rimg0145.jpg

Chock Demon Hab flowers
rimg0196o.jpg

Douglah

The main problem with them are Caterpillars. They seem to really love the hydro the little buggers.

Micca

And finally some more.

rimg0242.jpg

Late arrival-Yellow Bhut (The top has been munched on)
rimg0171.jpg

TC07077
rimg0239.jpg

TC07077 Pods
rimg0229.jpg

7-Pod- Barrackpore

Happy Chilli Growing,
Micca

very nice -- looks like your plants are loving it -- IM hoping to get some sort of water system going this summer as well

That is TIGHT, Miccah!
What is your nutrient regimen?
Your setup looks very similar to what I've been building in my head, only using black poly barrels that have been cut in half longitudinally. Do you think you could start a post on the Grow Tech forum showing the details on your construction?

Cheers for the fine comments.

I'll post a bit of info soon on it(getting ready for work), but unfortunately didn't take any photo's when constructing it Doh! The idea actually came from a friends much smaller system, just enlarged it.

Hey nice setup happening there Toleman:cool: And your right, that expanded clay was a nightmare. Trying to wash approx 450ltrs of pebbles is damn hard! Then try and afford to buy it too when it cost around $350 Aussie bucks to fill!

Gotta go,
Micca

hey Micca
They are looking nice and healthy now. I still reckon to try and enclose that area a little bit to keep warmth in and hopefully you can have them growing through winter!
Keep us posted.

Back