• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My Pathetic set-up of which...

PrairieChilihead said:
LOL! I thought you were serious. I'm feeling sensitive because so many people on this forum have negative attitudes towards the peat pellets. I just found them to be convenient and since I'm constantly fussing with them, there's no chance that I'll let them dry out. :lol:

Peat pellets have worked wonderfully for me before. I planted 3 in each pellet and every single pellet had at least 2 plants.

Here are some updates on my plants. I re-potted them yesterday. They got all droopy and sad but were perky and happy this morning.

Jalapeno/Habanero cross F3...seeds sent to me by Hot Pepper member Alawn:
IMG_1738.jpg

Faltaliis sent to me by Hot Pepper member PDreadie:
IMG_1739.jpg

Seven Pods...seeds sent to me by Hot Pepper member PrairieRidgeFarm:
IMG_1744.jpg

Trinidad Scorpions ...seeds given to me by Hot Pepper member Radman:
IMG_1745.jpg

Here are some more pictures:

The two on the left are Cveta Hot F2 and the two on the right are Mustard Habs...seeds sent to me by Hot Pepper member 915River:
IMG_1746.jpg

These are Red Scotch Bonnets...seeds given to me by Hot Pepper member Radman:
IMG_1749.jpg

Red Savina Habs...seeds sent to me by Hot pepper member Hotpeppa:
IMG_1750.jpg

Naga Morich hook...seeds given to me by Hot pepper member Radman:
IMG_1753.jpg

Here are some Bhut Jolokias from different members...

Seeds from Hot pepper member PDreadie:
IMG_1743.jpg

Seeds from Hot Pepper member Harris:
IMG_1747.jpg

Seeds from Hot Pepper member Alawn:
IMG_1748.jpg

I missed a couple from Hot Pepper member Hotpeppa but will definitely get those in at the next time I post updated pictures.

I have some Orange Habs I am still hoping will germinate...seeds from Hot pepper member jbeery. That pretty well is my complete growing list for Spring 2009. As it is far too many, really. The tomatoes may get sacrificed ...wife won't be happy...:rolleyes:

Just a quick update. On February 16th I transplanted all the seedlings into 4" pots since some roots were starting to grow out of the holes on the bottom of the cups and I was concerned about the plants not having enough space to develop fully. I therefore set up a larger area to be able to spread them out a bit and got a second desk lamp, making a total of 4 lights. I have two 23 watt 6500 k CFL bulbs (equivalent to 100 watts each) and two 45 watt 4100 k CFL bulbs (equivalent to 200 watts each.) The plants seem very happy. I haven't given them any additives...outside of whatever is in the generic potting mixes I've been using. I've read lots of what you all have to say about nutrients added to the soil and am simply confused about what to do. So I'm not doing anything. If the plants need some nutrients they'll likely let me know in the only way they can. :lol:

Anyway, here's the set up with the lights off:
IMG_1769.jpg

and on:
IMG_1779.jpg

I have 5 aluminum roaster pans with 10 pots in each. Here's the first:
IMG_1770.jpg

And some up close and personal looks at some precocious young'uns...

The Fatalii:
IMG_1775.jpg

A Bhut Jolokia:
IMG_1776.jpg

A Red Scotch Bonnet:
IMG_1777.jpg

And in this one...A Red Savina on the left and a Seven Pod (PRF) on the right :
IMG_1778.jpg

As always...thank you all for the seeds, support and encouragement in this, my first foray into germinating and raising the plants from seeds.

They all look happy and healthy. :)
I double-cupped my seedlings last year and had the same issue with the roots wanting to grow out the bottom and wrap around. This year I just went with one cup and the sunlight keeps the roots from getting over-adventurous and possibly damaged.

soooooo cute, if they could only make pods this would be my favourite age :) you can put those lights even closer if you want. the lights give off so little heat you can hold onto them with your bare hand, the plants almost have to be touching to get burned. just put your hand at the highest leaf and if you can stand it then they can stand it.
all looks well, my only warning is when they get bigger (and bushier) you have to keep moving them around so the same plants aren't always in the middle. you'll get a better understanding of the word 'canopy' when it gets closer to may. it's actually nothing to worry about, it gives you an excuse to fuss over your babies!
i'm so excited for you!!

Thank you all for your nice words.

IGG, I worry about the plants getting "leggy" -- how do you know that that's happening? What is a normal length for the stem to get and what is the possible outcome of plants getting that way? Will they need to be supported once the peppers start to develop? Is there anything I can do to reverse it if it does happen? I don't want to sound paranoid but I am worried about it. I am constantly adjusting the height of the lights. I am noticing discoloration happening on leaves which are closest to the lights and, well...it is a concern.

Aside from that, I thought I'd post my germination results.

Out of 6 Fatalii planted, 4 came up.
22 Bhut Jolokia yielded 15 plants.
6 Naga Morich yielded 4 plants.
6 Orange Habs planted, but none germinated. I am going to give this one a second shot.
4 Mustard Habs all came up.
10 Seven Pods planted yielded 5 plants.
6 Trinidad Scorpions all came up.
4 Red Scotch Bonnets resulted in 3 plants.
6 Jalapeno/Habanero cross all came up.
6 Red Savina Habs yielded 5 plants, and
4 Cveta Hot yielded 2 plants.

In total I planted 80 seeds and now have 54 plants, a success rate of 67.5% Not bad, I'm thinking. How does that compare to results that you all have achieved?

Thanks again. :)

My thoughts on legginess are that if it's tall and thin at the base it can be transplanted deeper to give it more support and it will sprout a few more roots too, sometimes. If it starts getting leggy between the nodes it's going to be harder to fix and may require staking to protect it from wind outdoors or a heavy fruit load indoors.

As for how leggy is too leggy... that's kind of subjective.

plants are coming along nicely.

PrairieChilihead said:
In total I planted 80 seeds and now have 54 plants, a success rate of 67.5% Not bad, I'm thinking. How does that compare to results that you all have achieved?

I'm about that percentage also, though never kept track, I did plant more seeds in the spots where nothing grew after 1 month.

Here are some updated pictures:

Two of my Bhut Jolokias:
BhutJolokia.jpg

Two Fataliis:
Fatalli.jpg

A Red Scotch Bonnet on the left and a Cveta Hot on the right:
ScotchBonnetCvetaHot.jpg

A Red Savina on the left and one of PRF's Seven Pod's on the right (Not my own, which are much smaller):
RedSavinaSevenPodPRF.jpg

They are very slowly developing....but at least they are all still alive!

And here is the most amazing plant...it is the Trinidad Scorpion which sits in my front window, soaking up the (very) weak winter sun, but has suddenly taken off:

TrindadScorpion.jpg

The mother plant, sitting in the same pot, has shed all it's leaves and looks like death has warmed over :( but I'll just leave it alone and hope that that there will be a miracle come Spring.

Everything is looking great, I like you am looking forward to a time when I can get stuff outside!!! I am excited for you and all your new pepper addictions...chuckle.

Back