• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My plants are not looking good

Three days ago i moved some of my 3 months old plants into the garden. They are in a position where the sun is direct for about 5 hours a day. It is very hot at the moment but some of the plants are gone kind of golden leaves which turns into white.
Not looking very healthy - any suggestions?
thank you

Sounds like sunburn to me. Did you acclimate them to being in direct sunlight for a week or two before plant out? Five hours a day is not excessive, mine are in full sun for at least 12 hours without issue. Give them some shade, gradually less over the next two weeks give them some water and they should rebound. How hot is hot? I've had consistent 90+ degree heat for the last week (unusual for this area) and the peppers have been loving it. Been watering them everyday.

Yes i think that`s exactly the case. I had them growing in pots indoors and then i just took them out and planted`em at the bright sunshine. How bed is that? Lucky i kept half of them indoor for now..

Sounds like sunburn to me. Did you acclimate them to being in direct sunlight for a week or two before plant out? Five hours a day is not excessive, mine are in full sun for at least 12 hours without issue. Give them some shade, gradually less over the next two weeks give them some water and they should rebound. How hot is hot? I've had consistent 90+ degree heat for the last week (unusual for this area) and the peppers have been loving it. Been watering them everyday.
+1

MIPEPPERGUY gave you good advive.

They will spring back. I had a couple that took longer to acclimate than others and showed similar problems you described. Extra calcium can help too.

I am in Bulgaria and the temperature has been around 95 for the last 2 weeks.Lets hope they adapt and get the most of the sun..

Give them a little shade and pour the water to them until you start seeing new growth. There is some points of controversy on the THP about how much to water, I fall on the side of I'd rather over water than under, especially if you have good soil drainage and during high heat periods. Also be careful with any ferts. until you begin seeing some plant stability, maybe just a liitle bone meal (calcium) side dressing.

Give them a little shade and pour the water to them until you start seeing new growth. There is some points of controversy on the THP about how much to water, I fall on the side of I'd rather over water than under, especially if you have good soil drainage and during high heat periods. Also be careful with any ferts. until you begin seeing some plant stability, maybe just a liitle bone meal (calcium) side dressing.

Thank you so much, i will try build some shade around it. It`s so hot so i try water them regularly. I did put some fertiliser today - unlucky. Wont do it again. At least i know what to do with the next lot.
Cheers for help and advice

Back