• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My Poor Plants

I have about 5 plants cayennes, habanerros, and chilis, in a 16" pot outside and they are barely producing. The habanerro is the biggest plant (1 1/2') and it has about 5 peppers of good size on it. The only onther plants to be producing are the cayennes. The plants seem to be dying and I think it might be too cold (calgary, canada) for them at night. All the leaves are starting to lose there green color and are oh so droopy.

Help me please... Do it for the peppers!

I'm going to assume that you have them in seperate pots. If they are all in one pot, they are over crowded. What is your night time temp?

I'll second sizstings temp question and add some more; Full sun or partial shade? What soil did you use, how old are the plants, how big are they, do you fertalize(if so, how often and with what), how often do you water?

imaguitargod said:
I'll second sizstings temp question and add some more; Full sun or partial shade? What soil did you use, how old are the plants, how big are they, do you fertalize(if so, how often and with what), how often do you water?

Lol....is this an interrogation? Get him under the lights!!!

From my experience up here in the North, you need to start plants early for best results. Once they are large and strong they can handle the stresses more. During the peak of summer the sun stresses them, and then the cool nights further the problems. I've had my best success with plants started in March under fluorescents and gradually acclimatized. I now have a real greenhouse but before then I'd constantly be moving plant from in the house to outside in the sun during the spring. I had many unsuccessfull years until I started babying the plants in the spring. Hope this helps eh, and good luck.

We've had two frost warnings already up here.

imaguitargod said:

thanks for all the info!

It seems to be getting down to around 5 degrees celsius at night lately
They get full sun for about 3/4th of the day (then they are in shade)
I used store bought soid and have fertilized once
All the plants were bought already grown in april
The tallest plant is 1 1/2 feet. The rest are about 3 to 6 inches
I water every 2 or 3 days

p.s. yes, they are all in the same pot. definately a problem here

You'll definitely have better results planting each in a good sized pot and giving as much sun as possible. The cold nights and unpredictable Calgary weather are difficult to deal with. I also remember from growing up in Calgary as a kid that you have very low humidity in the summer compared to Ontario and my habs are lovin the humidity.

best of luck

Here's the causes of your problems:
1. 42 degrees Fahrenheit(5 degrees celsius) at night is too cold for the plants.
2. Move em out into full sun, they'll love you for that.
3. They are in the same pot and are choking each other...their can be only one...

imaguitargod said:
Here's the causes of your problems:
1. 42 degrees Fahrenheit(5 degrees celsius) at night is too cold for the plants.
2. Move em out into full sun, they'll love you for that.
3. They are in the same pot and are choking each other...their can be only one...

1. So I should move them in at night?
2. They're getting as much sun as I can give them
3. They're most definately stuck with each other now untill death do they part.

If you can move them in at night when its below 10 celsius then definitely do so. Maybe cutting out your worst plants will help ease the chokeing too.

Back