• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment My Salsa

Friends,

I have been making my own salsa for the last five years.It is a simple recipe with grilled Jalpenos, onion, garlic, cilantro and Roma Tomatoes with my spices treatment. Slightly sweetish but taste wise out of this world.

NJA's SALSA

4154321406_0b19762a5c.jpg

I have never named it as I don't think I will be offering for sale. But who knows?

NJA

It took me years to learn to like cilantro. It seemed "soapy" to me. Eating in ethnic restaurants I learned to properly use it. I do not know culantro, is there a way to describe its flavor? There is another herb that it strikes me that would be good in this- I have seen it called coriander leaves or curry leaves (is it also what is called "neem"?).

Correct me if I am wrong, but "curry" as it is commonly used in English, really means a spice blend. It may have been "standardized" by McCormicks, but in regions of origin does it not vary from cook to cook?

I understood that "Garam Masala" is similar- it seems to me there were several varieties on the shelves at the Indian Grocery.

Try culantro, it's hard to describe. It's earthier and stronger than cilantro, but not like a strong cilantro, it's a bit of a different flavor.

Coriander leaves would be the same as cilantro. When referring to the leaves you call it cilantro, when referring to the seeds, you call it coriander.

Curry, in Indian cooking, and other, is a gravy or sauce. Yes there is a spice called curry powder, this would be for when making the gravy, however you can use it for whatever you want. Some people sprinkle the powder on a dish, or cook with it, and the call the dish curry, or curried.

I wouldn't call curry a spice mix. Then all spice mixes would be curries. BBQ rub, etc.

Essentially it's a heavily spiced gravy, which can be made from a spice mix called curry powder, which can in turn be used by itself.

Hope this helps lol.

MY LATEST BATCH OF SALSA

I polished off my salsa yesterday which according to my ever critical wife, should have lasted another month, I had to prepare the latest batch .

And what a batch it is!!!
Surprisingly, I got the hottest ever Jalepenos and freshest Tomatoes. It was so good that I finished offalmost a small jar in two sittings.

LATEST SALSA

4210765359_993a78eb12_o.jpg

NJA

That salsa looks good. Can you show some of it in a bowl instead of in the jars?

thehotpepper.com said:
That salsa looks good. Can you show some of it in a bowl instead of in the jars?

awww,c'mon. You are increasing my workload.
Ok lemme empty this in a bowl and take a snap and post it.
Gimme till this evening.
Anything for a friend man.

NJA

Dan,

You are hereby sentenced to go without ........eating any hot peppers for 1 day for putting poor NJA to double work to get a photograph in a BOWL.

SALSA IN A BOWL

4212194572_c4da54a79d.jpg

NJA

On second thought, you are pardoned . I can't bear to see people crying.:lol:

Thanks! That looks killer. I wanted to see the consistency. It's chunky, but no too chunky... looks really good.

I agree it looks better in a bowl. It allows you to see the texture easily. Anyways, it looks great. Hope it tasted as good as it looks. I love a good salsa especially during football season. I usually eat a pint every Saturday during college football season just during the Michigan game, then move to hot wings for the night games.

jacob

jjs7741 said:
I agree it looks better in a bowl. It allows you to see the texture easily. Anyways, it looks great. Hope it tasted as good as it looks. I love a good salsa especially during football season. I usually eat a pint every Saturday during college football season just during the Michigan game, then move to hot wings for the night games.

jacob

Jacob,

You just need to try my slasa once. Any more writing about it would be blowing my own trumpet. Receipe is already given in this thread.
Try it out once,

NJA

I may just have to do that. It looks delicious.

jacob
Naga Jolokia Addict said:
Jacob,

You just need to try my slasa once. Any more writing about it would be blowing my own trumpet. Receipe is already given in this thread.
Try it out once,

NJA

Celeste said:
It took me years to learn to like cilantro. It seemed "soapy" to me. Eating in ethnic restaurants I learned to properly use it. I do not know culantro, is there a way to describe its flavor? There is another herb that it strikes me that would be good in this- I have seen it called coriander leaves or curry leaves (is it also what is called "neem"?).

Correct me if I am wrong, but "curry" as it is commonly used in English, really means a spice blend. It may have been "standardized" by McCormicks, but in regions of origin does it not vary from cook to cook?

I understood that "Garam Masala" is similar- it seems to me there were several varieties on the shelves at the Indian Grocery.

celeste,

coriander leaves are same as cilantro in flavor and taste. Culantro is same flavor but still stronger.
curry leaves are totally different than Neem leaves . Neem is bitter and is Margosa Indica. They have no culinary use.

Curry is a TAMIL language word. It denotes both Meat and also Meat dish in Hot sauce. Usually hot sauce is made using only red chilli pepper powder. English people adopted this word to denote everything spicy and hot.

Mc Cormic cannot standerdize any curry recipe.As you said, it varies from cook to cook.

GARAM MASALA is a term used by North Indian spice powder blend. It does not have much heat but has strong aromatic spice blend which totally differs from curry powders like Madras Curry powder etc.

I will post my recipe for both madras curry powder and Garam Masala Powder here as under.

MADRAS CURRY POWDER

Hot Chillies 200 gms.
coriander seeds 150 gms.
Black pepper 15 gms.
Fenugreek seeds 1 spoon
Mustard seeds 1. 5 spoons
cumin seeds 1. 5 spoons
Black gram dhall 1 table spoon
pigeon pea 1 table spoon
Idli Rice 1. 5 spoons
Asafoetida 1 spoon
Turmeric powder 1/2 spoon
Curry leaves 1/2 Cup

GARAM MASALA POWDER

3 Month's supply for a family of 4)

coriander seeds 150 gms.
Cumin seeds 50 gms
Cloves 10 gms
Cinnamon 50 gms
Black pepper 10 gms
Cardamom 15 gms
Bayleaf 10 gms
Caraway seeds 1 spoon
Stone flower(Dhagad Phool) 5 gms
Anis star 5 Nos (remove seeds)
fennel 2 spoons
Red Chillies 5 nos

NJA

Thanks very much for the recipe! I used it to make my first-ever batch of homemade salsa tonight, and it is really excellent. I used 12 jals and 2 bells, and upped the garlic a bit. I will never buy a jar of factory-made salsa again.

I tried to attach a pic of it here, but apparently I'm not doing something right.

The "Naga taste" thing is why I am VERY happy that I came across my Naga cross. They were from seeds that I bought off of Ebay AS Naga's, but aren't. Go figure, right? Anyways, I THINK they crossed them with either Jalapeno's or Serrano's. To ME, they taste JUST like a jalapeno, but just hotter. If anyone would be interested in any, pm me and I'll send a couple your way!

Sean

p.s. I make my own salsa, as well. SouthernYooper had some this weekend. Not the most fantastic of salsa's, but I have only been making my own for about a year. But hey, I love it, and so does the wife, so it's all good!

Back