• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

my second harvest (some questions)

so this is my second harvest if you can call it that. (size wise..) now i left the habaneros on the plants to see how they mature. the red one is only red on side atm
2012-02-01145244.jpg
(then take the seeds from the best one and grow some more) the green one that looks like a baby green bellpepper decided i think it wants to out grow the rest O_O
2012-02-01145249.jpg

Cept for the one with the babies that is in the colinder (that one the hailstorm knocked of the plant and i rescued it.. those little ones btw are suppose to be jalapenos.. i grew them from the fresh jalapenos i bought from the supermarket.
2012-01-19162011.jpg

i dont know if the plants being right next to each other (the jalapenos and habaneros) might've had an effect on them. i just gave them water in the soil they grew in. no special mojo etc. but heres the thing. i got more jalapenos from the store and pickled ones too.. and those little red mutants are a hell of a lot hotter than the normal jalapenos. you guys think they might gross polinated with the habanero plants ??? and i pickled it in a mixture of canola oil and vinegar..

2012-02-01235047.jpg

they all grow in a semi shaded area,like you can see atm - no direct sunlight i think cept for early mornings. i tried that but the sun seems to kill them in here in south africa (direct sunlight). no matter what i did they looked wilted. now in the shade they do a lot better it seems...

i grew them from the fresh jalapenos i bought from the supermarket.
2012-01-19162011.jpg

.. and those little red mutants are a hell of a lot hotter than the normal jalapenos. you guys think they might gross polinated with the habanero plants ???

Almost looks like a cross with a cayenne! Who Knows?

Cross pollination only affects the phenotype of the offspring(what the seeds become)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope someone else can explain this for me, but planting different peppers close together DOES NOT IN ANY WAY change the fruit characteristics of the current plants. What you have are non-true-to-type plants that may have been a result of planting the offspring(seeds) of F1 hybrids (most of the peppers purchased in supermarkets are F1 hybrids). The habanero is either C. annuum or a C. annuum/chinense cross, not a pure c. chinense by any means.

Bottom line, your seeds were not pure, they were hybrid F2 seeds.

Enjoy them regardless!

+1
I wouldn't say most supermarket chiles are hybrids but jalapenos quite often are, so the offspring will be totally different.
What kind of "habanero" is the first pic supposed to be, or was it from a supermarket pod too?

Cross pollination only affects the genetics in the seeds. That is why you cannot see a difference until those seeds are planted. Look like a bell/hab cross to me. What does it taste like?

Back