• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds My seedling keep losing leaves!

I have had the same problem of seedling leaves turning yellow and dropping off. I have a few seedlings which are just stems but some also have new growth sprouting all up the stems. The slightly older seedlings with bigger leaves have less of a problem with this but some do have nute burn around the leaves. So after reading this post it's hit me that the problem is obviously too many nutes, either from the soil or from what I've been watering into them.

I originally potted them with a bag of the cheapest potting mix the hardware store had (yes I know.. big no no) and have been watering in different nutes to try and correct a deficiency they had from variagated yellow and green leaves. I tried lots of things like using tap water left out instead of filtered water. I also used an aquarium bubble stone to aerate the water. I saw positive results from magnesium sulphate and using the bubble stone, but then they got the all over yellowing leaves and leaf drop. I think the bubble stone made all of the nutrients available to the plant (or something like that), which corrected the deficiency but there was too much and it created an excess.

The advice I have seen on this site seems to be overwhelming that seedlings need little to none nutrients. I am prone to overfertilizing so it makes sense that too many nutes are causing this leaf yellow-drop problem. I'll pot up the ones that survive into a neutral mix after rinsing the roots, then feed them a very restricted diet. I'll save the overfertilizing for my basil plants, they take everything they can get and more.

Yeah, I don't know...

The thing is, I've started adding some fert to some of the plants (about 1/4 strength) and they seem to be doing a bit better than their brothers and sisters on a water diet. But I can't say anything conclusive since I only have a small sample (right now 5 babies + 1 stem). But what I can say with some confidence is that it doesn't seem to be hurting them - and I'm definitely not seeing any fert burn. So...although overfertilizing/overwatering seem to be the most talked about villains, I don't think they're my villains. Really the only thing I've yet to test is the ph of the soil (because I'm to lazy to get a kit). That's what could be making the babies suffer from nutrient deficiency despite the soil being (too) rich in plant food.

And you know, so far I've been only able to grow the Red Savinas, which were from the same source and the same bag. So...I can't really rule out that the seeds might not have been in the best shape. Especially since all the Bhuts and all but 1 of my yellow burkina habaneros (which were the other two types of seeds I ordered) failed to germinate and some developed nasty looking black stuff. I'm currently in the process of germinating about 40 seeds from a different supplier so I'll be able to say more when they pop up.

Here are my 2 cayennes that I planted at the same time.
Both were in pots originally then I transplanted the large one into the garden bed.

This one measures in at 35cm
IMG_0943.jpg

This one is only 14cm and suffering leaf drop
IMG_0941.jpg

The potted one gets the same treatment as all my other potted chilli's and is in exactly the same potting mix
Everything else that is potted is dark green and healthy.

Nice plant, Hittmann. :dance:

The little one is very leggy, it's probably not getting enough light. That could be why you're losing leaves - the stem is so thin and long it's probably struggling to get the nutes to the upper levels. Other than that, I'm pretty much still a noob, so I don't really know what the problem could be. I'm sure someone will be able to offer some advice though...

It gets at least 12 hours of light.. possibly more but I don't get up early enough to check lol.
I think it just looks leggy because it's lost 4 sets of leaves and it's original cotyledons. You can see the scars along the stem.

Such a huge difference between the 2 plants though.

Wait...are you trying to tell me the one planted in the ground and the little one in the pot were planted at the same time?! :eek:

Wow, that's crazy!!! :crazy:

Then there's definitely something going on with the small one - maybe root rot? Maybe try watering it with a 0,1% peroxide solution?

Yeah germinated together and planted on the same day. Both were originally in a pot just like the one you see that one in.
I only planted the other in the ground about a month ago... a few days after the 11th of Jan.

hmmm similar problems with 2 out of 18 plants so I think I'll just have to repot - something about the soil is just not right even through I've started with the same mix - maybe too wet or too dry for a long time caused problems or too much feeding - either way it could be a bit late for those stunted plants in Australia. Summer nearly over :(

hmmm similar problems with 2 out of 18 plants so I think I'll just have to repot - something about the soil is just not right even through I've started with the same mix - maybe too wet or too dry for a long time caused problems or too much feeding - either way it could be a bit late for those stunted plants in Australia. Summer nearly over :(

I'm probably just going to pull mine and throw it in the compost so I have 1 less plant to water.

Ok, now I'm noticing an interesting thing...

The chili that I posted a photo off with all the scars from the fallen-off leaves - there are new sprouts beginning to grow above the scars. So, it seems to be recovering! :woohoo:

And the only thing I did was put it on a 1/4 dose of a general nitrogen fert thing... Now I'm getting pretty convinced that the ph of the soil must be bad so the plants can't get enough nutrients - even though there should be plenty. I've really got to get on of those kits!

- there are new sprouts beginning to grow above the scars. So, it seems to be recovering! :woohoo:

And the only thing I did was put it on a 1/4 dose of a general nitrogen fert thing... Now I'm getting pretty convinced that the ph of the soil must be bad so the plants can't get enough nutrients - even though there should be plenty. I've really got to get on of those kits!

Sounds great! I finally found a local store owner that carries really good stuff (nutes and etc) for hydroponics and also dirt gardening. He said I was doing okay with light and warmth. But he kinda chewed me out for not PH testing my soil said that is my biggest mistake. Second was not having oscillating fan to stimulate the plants, increase photosynthesis. (currently using a couple of little non-moving fans.)

He also said even if a fairly rich blend of soil is used to start seeds, that it would be okay to add nutes at 1/4 strength as early as 2 weeks after sprouting. But as you mentioned, needs to have the PH in the zone. He recco 6.5. Mine tested out at a little over 7.0, which is not death, but maybe causing the slower growth perhaps I've been experiencing on some of my test plants.

I got some of the nutes AJ recommended "Botanicare Pro-Gro" which I will now work into bottom feeding my seedlings. Also got an organic bag of rich soil which will serve as a starting medium for my main grow of annuums. I've had good luck mixing the Jiffy Mix near the top layer of soil to promote ease of germination. Will see soon enough... :cool:

Sounds great! I finally found a local store owner that carries really good stuff (nutes and etc) for hydroponics and also dirt gardening. He said I was doing okay with light and warmth. But he kinda chewed me out for not PH testing my soil said that is my biggest mistake. Second was not having oscillating fan to stimulate the plants, increase photosynthesis. (currently using a couple of little non-moving fans.)

He also said even if a fairly rich blend of soil is used to start seeds, that it would be okay to add nutes at 1/4 strength as early as 2 weeks after sprouting. But as you mentioned, needs to have the PH in the zone. He recco 6.5. Mine tested out at a little over 7.0, which is not death, but maybe causing the slower growth perhaps I've been experiencing on some of my test plants.

I got some of the nutes AJ recommended "Botanicare Pro-Gro" which I will now work into bottom feeding my seedlings. Also got an organic bag of rich soil which will serve as a starting medium for my main grow of annuums. I've had good luck mixing the Jiffy Mix near the top layer of soil to promote ease of germination. Will see soon enough... :cool:

Yeah, from what I've read you want the ph to be somewhere between 6.2 and 6.5. I've had 0 luck finding a ph kit at my local shops so I had to order it and it's going to be a couple of days before I can check my soil. But, you know, I wouldn't get too excited - if you check out the correlation between nutrient intake and ph, it only gets really bad on the extremes - like under 5.5 or over 8.5...so I'm not convinced it's all that important - unless there's another effect (not just nutrient intake) in play here. But, we'll see, right? :)

It's a good thing that you have new sprouts but I have quite a few stems which are covered in sprouts. I think the plant will always strive to grow but whatever made the leaves fall off in the first place is probably still there, you just don't see any effect until the leaves get to a certain size. I have had some leaves fall off and the the new sprouting leaves grew a little and then fell off as well.

I just tested the pH in a few of my pots and it came back a little high but well within the acceptable grow limits.

I'm thinking excess nitrogen would cause lots of new leaf growth, but in my limited experience the yellowing and dropping leaves is a sign of something being deficient. I have read that sometimes if one nute is in excess it will block the uptake of other ones despite the other one being present in the soil. This is also what happens when the pH is off.

I wish I had more solid knowledge and less theories but hopefully someone will know more and give advice. If my theories are correct then rinsing off the roots and repotting into a stable potting mix, followed by balanced feeding will solve the problem. If this doesn't help then the culprit must be something else, like temperature, light, humidity, disease???

I still intend to do this with my affected plants but the demands of the non-chilli growing world keep intruding. :crazy:

Ok, so I finally got the ph strips and yeah, my soil is definitely basic... Can't really tell what the actual ph is, but it has to be more than 7 because the strips go darker in the destilled water+soil mix than in just the destilled water.

Do any of you know what to do in this situation? I've heard that aluminium sulfate is supposed to lower the ph, has anyone used it before?

It's a good thing that you have new sprouts but I have quite a few stems which are covered in sprouts. I think the plant will always strive to grow but whatever made the leaves fall off in the first place is probably still there, you just don't see any effect until the leaves get to a certain size. I have had some leaves fall off and the the new sprouting leaves grew a little and then fell off as well.

Yup, that's what's hapenning to me also - well, they're not really falling off (the little sprouts), they're just...not growing.

I just tested the pH in a few of my pots and it came back a little high but well within the acceptable grow limits.

I'm thinking excess nitrogen would cause lots of new leaf growth, but in my limited experience the yellowing and dropping leaves is a sign of something being deficient. I have read that sometimes if one nute is in excess it will block the uptake of other ones despite the other one being present in the soil. This is also what happens when the pH is off.

Yeah, exactly, that's what I'm working on right now... I'm getting vermiculite and perlite today, so I'll be able to make a better mixture and then I'm going to try and lower the ph with aluminium sulfate (unless I come across an easier solution).

I wish I had more solid knowledge and less theories but hopefully someone will know more and give advice. If my theories are correct then rinsing off the roots and repotting into a stable potting mix, followed by balanced feeding will solve the problem. If this doesn't help then the culprit must be something else, like temperature, light, humidity, disease???

I still intend to do this with my affected plants but the demands of the non-chilli growing world keep intruding. :crazy:

I've got light and temperature covered (I think)...the humidity I can't really control more than spritzing a bit of water here and there, there isn't any root rot on my chilies (I've transplanted a few because...well, I've got nothing to lose :lol: ) and no apparent mold/fungus/algea/etc...

I have notice that the roots are really thin (although nice and white). Is that normal? Like hair thin long-ish roots shootin off of the main root thingy, which isn't very sturdy either (these were about one inch tall seedlings with about 2-3 pairs of true leaves).

I have plants in the ground, same seed, same planting time, same feeding and they grow at different rates, maybe not quite as diiferent as that but some not far off it. They all usually take off so if you have the room just put it in the ground somewhere out of the way and leave it to its own devices. They are amazingly resilient plants.

I have plants in the ground, same seed, same planting time, same feeding and they grow at different rates, maybe not quite as diiferent as that but some not far off it. They all usually take off so if you have the room just put it in the ground somewhere out of the way and leave it to its own devices. They are amazingly resilient plants.

The only ground I have is my neighbours' ceiling! For now, these are exclusively appartment chilies. But I'm not planning on discarding any of them unless they completely croak, I've got enough room and lights/windows a plenty. :D

The only ground I have is my neighbours' ceiling! For now, these are exclusively appartment chilies. But I'm not planning on discarding any of them unless they completely croak, I've got enough room and lights/windows a plenty. :D
Sorry, I didnt realize that but just persevere with it they always amaze me the way that they come back. Good compost might help, if you can get some just plant it in that and then just water it for a while and see what happens.

:woohoo:

I got my bags of vermiculite and perlite today, so I'll be experimenting with making different kinds of mixes. The first mix I'm going for is 30-40% vermiculite , 20% perlite and 40-50% sifted through potting soil (those are volume percentages). For the seed starting mix, I'll try basically the same, just without the perlite (or the little amount there is in the potting soil).

Does that sound ok?

OK, thought I'd throw in my little 2 cents worth. I had some potted chillies that were dropping leaves to the point where all that was left was twigs with 1 or 2 leaves left. I ended up writing them off and stacked all those sickly pots over in the corner of my yard ready for the dump and forgot about them. About a few weeks went by and to my surprise they came back.....and all i did was move them. The funniest part was where I moved them from has flourishing plants.

A total mystery - but maybe an answer for you here. Move them to a deserted part of your yard and forget about them. They may just give you a surprise resurrection while your not looking.

Here is one exsample - forgotten but grew up and is full of chillies.

DSCF1316.jpg

Back