• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My small plants are due for a checkup. Opinions needed. Photos inside.

Hey all.

It's been a good amount of time since I last posted any progress photos and I think my smaller plants could use some new eyes and opinions.

The plants consist of 3 different super hot small plants (in 6 inch wide pots) and my 2 seedling trays with a variety.

Some are doing good, and others not as much. Also i'm in south Florida, and I keep hearing the rules are a little different here because of how hot it gets.

Brain Strain Red - Seems to be doing okay.

dErqudK.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate - This guy was looking awesome until some really heavy winds came in and took all the leaves. I think it's starting to grow new leaves though.

grgvS0t.jpg

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion - And this one seems to be doing okay as well, although aren't these super hots supposed to have way bigger and fatter leaves at this stage?

EfbkwtY.jpg

Seed Tray #1 - A good variety of seeds were started here. They were started in a humid garage and then put under a garage fluorescent when they germinated. I started to see what looked like damping off fungus so I read to start getting them in the sun. They were doing fine for awhile and then I think as it got into hotter days they couldn't take the sun and some batches started dying. So now they are in a pool patio area in the side with not nearly as much sun.

1Yk5PPT.jpg

Seed Tray #2 - Second tray with more variety and some extras from the previous tray. On the bottom left it looks like what maybe the first sprout in that bhut jolokia batch? That thing is like a millimeter tall.

LBnN28K.jpg

Last photo - I'm fairly certain all of these plants are well hardened off. They have been outdoors for awhile now. But here in south Florida there have been days with really heavy winds lately. Would it do any harm if I have to move them indoors to this location for the day / night  every now and then?

vik3ciV.jpg

Thanks!

If you read through the thread and viewed all of the images I really appreciate it.

The more thoughts and opinions the better! I'm a first time grower and am still like a sponge for information.  :onfire:

Thanks again for viewing.

To me they look like they have been left too wet for too long. I would get them in larger pots, set them outside, and fine a better medium. Or just lay off watering until they are showing signs of dehydration. The trinidad scorp chocolate is actually two plants. i would pull the smaller one. 

Like Romy6 said pot up the bigger plants, watch the watering or change to a better draining soil medium.
I also suggest moving the bigger plants outside under some shade cover. My plants really take off when I put them outside!

romy6 said:
 To me they look like they have been left too wet for too long. I would get them in larger pots, set them outside, and fine a better medium. Or just lay off watering until they are showing signs of dehydration. The trinidad scorp chocolate is actually two plants. i would pull the smaller one. 

Is it impossible at this point to split the 2 plants into two different pots?

Kwest13 said:
Is it impossible at this point to split the 2 plants into two different pots?
No you can seperate the two plants which would be a great idea. Just be careful when doing so!

megahot said:
Like Romy6 said pot up the bigger plants, watch the watering or change to a better draining soil medium.
I also suggest moving the bigger plants outside under some shade cover. My plants really take off when I put them outside!

They are always outside. I have them in a screened pool patio in the shade. I actually keep them right outside the doors that you see in that last picture.

I only have them inside right now because there have been really high winds today.

those leaves look jacked up on that choc scorp. maybe try removing the "effed up" looking ones? could be some sort of bacteria or disease or something.  also, i'd go ahead and murder the little one in the pot so they don't have to fight over nutes... 

*edit - or you can try to separate them. i'd just go ahead and snip it if it was me, but then again, you don't have 100 fully grown plants either so i understandyou'd probably like to save it if possible...

birdfather said:
those leaves look jacked up on that choc scorp. maybe try removing the "effed up" looking ones? could be some sort of bacteria or disease or something.  also, i'd go ahead and murder the little one in the pot so they don't have to fight over nutes... 

*edit - or you can try to separate them. i'd just go ahead and snip it if it was me, but then again, you don't have 100 fully grown plants either so i understandyou'd probably like to save it if possible...

100 fully grown? Nice. Yeah I guess I'm going to have to do some research. I definitely would rather them both be separated and live, but don't want to risk killing them both my trying to separate the roots.

Kwest13 said:

100 fully grown? Nice. Yeah I guess I'm going to have to do some research. I definitely would rather them both be separated and live, but don't want to risk killing them both my trying to separate the roots.
No need for research.. Just get as much dirt/medium your using off as you can and untangle them and if they tear oh well. It helps sometimes to dunk the root ball in water to get the dirt out. Be gentile tho lol. Don't just tear it all apart and they'll be fine. I've done it multiple times. These two goats weed were tangled as hell in a solo cup. I just separated them about a week ago and they're fine.

CAM00818_zpsf4d0afec.jpg

That sprout in the bhut tray is a weed.

The problem with S. Florida (and other semi-tropical locales) isn't the heat, it's the humidity, and constant rain. 

Kwest13 said:
Hey all.

It's been a good amount of time since I last posted any progress photos and I think my smaller plants could use some new eyes and opinions.

The plants consist of 3 different super hot small plants (in 6 inch wide pots) and my 2 seedling trays with a variety.

Some are doing good, and others not as much. Also i'm in south Florida, and I keep hearing the rules are a little different here because of how hot it gets.

Brain Strain Red - Seems to be doing okay.

dErqudK.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate - This guy was looking awesome until some really heavy winds came in and took all the leaves. I think it's starting to grow new leaves though.

grgvS0t.jpg

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion - And this one seems to be doing okay as well, although aren't these super hots supposed to have way bigger and fatter leaves at this stage?

EfbkwtY.jpg

Seed Tray #1 - A good variety of seeds were started here. They were started in a humid garage and then put under a garage fluorescent when they germinated. I started to see what looked like damping off fungus so I read to start getting them in the sun. They were doing fine for awhile and then I think as it got into hotter days they couldn't take the sun and some batches started dying. So now they are in a pool patio area in the side with not nearly as much sun.

1Yk5PPT.jpg

Seed Tray #2 - Second tray with more variety and some extras from the previous tray. On the bottom left it looks like what maybe the first sprout in that bhut jolokia batch? That thing is like a millimeter tall.

LBnN28K.jpg

Last photo - I'm fairly certain all of these plants are well hardened off. They have been outdoors for awhile now. But here in south Florida there have been days with really heavy winds lately. Would it do any harm if I have to move them indoors to this location for the day / night  every now and then?

vik3ciV.jpg

Thanks!

If you read through the thread and viewed all of the images I really appreciate it.

The more thoughts and opinions the better! I'm a first time grower and am still like a sponge for information.  :onfire:

Thanks again for viewing.
are the photos recent are you starting the peppers this late? 

smileyguy697 said:
No need for research.. Just get as much dirt/medium your using off as you can and untangle them and if they tear oh well. It helps sometimes to dunk the root ball in water to get the dirt out. Be gentile tho lol. Don't just tear it all apart and they'll be fine. I've done it multiple times. These two goats weed were tangled as hell in a solo cup. I just separated them about a week ago and they're fine.

CAM00818_zpsf4d0afec.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably give it a shot.

They definitely need to be moved into bigger pots and they are starving for light.  This time of year growing outside ( In Florida) is a big challenge. They need light but you don't want to cook them . Try to find  a place that gets good morning sun and late afternoon sun. If nothing else good early sun. Like 4 to 5 hours. Make sure the soil dries out fast . If they stay wet outside too long you end up with the bacterial problems you are having, They will also lock out nutrients and the only way to feed them is by foliar feeding and moving them into a new home.  Come October you should be able to get them in direct sun and they will explode. Just gotta milk em for a couple more months. I would start out with some epsom salt sprays.  1 tablespoon to a gallon foliar feeds 1 day a week. Make sure to spray the tops and bottoms of the leaves. 

To get rid of the bacterial leaf spot I suggest a copper spray or 1/2 skim milk 1/2 water spray. Removing the really infected leaves and make sure not to touch any of the other plants after washing hands cause that stuff will spread like wildfire. 

romy6 said:
 They definitely need to be moved into bigger pots and they are starving for light.  This time of year growing outside ( In Florida) is a big challenge. They need light but you don't want to cook them . Try to find  a place that gets good morning sun and late afternoon sun. If nothing else good early sun. Like 4 to 5 hours. Make sure the soil dries out fast . If they stay wet outside too long you end up with the bacterial problems you are having, They will also lock out nutrients and the only way to feed them is by foliar feeding and moving them into a new home.  Come October you should be able to get them in direct sun and they will explode. Just gotta milk em for a couple more months. I would start out with some epsom salt sprays.  1 tablespoon to a gallon foliar feeds 1 day a week. Make sure to spray the tops and bottoms of the leaves. 

To get rid of the bacterial leaf spot I suggest a copper spray or 1/2 skim milk 1/2 water spray. Removing the really infected leaves and make sure not to touch any of the other plants after washing hands cause that stuff will spread like wildfire. 

I'm picking up some epsom salt and spagnum peat moss today. I want to add the moss to my soil mix to make the soil a little softer and capable of drying faster. I will transplant them into bigger pots with the softer soil mix.

I have a plan for the super hots, but i'm still not sure on what to do with the seedlings in my trays. I'm not sure if I should let them be in the trays or start splitting them up and moving them into cups.

Well the soil I use now has a good amount of bark and I mix it with a lot of perlite, the drainage seems ok but the soil gets really really hard and rough. I want to try softening the soil up with moss. 

If you have ever been to Home Depot, Lowes, or Wal-Mart garden center and felt the soil of the Bonnie Plants they have, the soil is soft as a pillow. I am kind of wanting to shoot for that kind of a texture, and I think moss will help.

Back