• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My sprouts have stopped growing

Hi all,
I planted about twenty varieties (two seeds in each container) and most of them sprouted. I have them indoors sitting in front of the window. They seem to have stopped growing after getting to the two leaf stage. Do they normally stop at this stage for a while or is this unusual? It is late winter here, will they start to grow again soon?
Peter.

They may just be doing a little growing under the soil. I wouldn't worry just yet. Plus, as a fellow windowsill grower, they tend to grow a lot slower than they do under grow lights.

I grow my sprouts in pellets at the window, but I put foil in back and then bring it up over the top a few inches as well. Together with the white tray they are sitting in they are surrounded by light. If my tray wasn't whilte, I would line the bottom and sides with foil.

The 2nd leaf sets appeared quickly and are growing just as fast. The first leaves are big and fat, and the plants are short instead of long and spindly. This after only 2 weeks from seed.

Mate I wouldn't worry as they will not grow all that fast on a windowsill and in our winter the temps wouldn't be all that great anyway......as long as they stay green and look healthy then I don't think you will have a problem. and as Josh said, you will find it might be still setting up a nice root base... Only a few weeks to go and they can go outside more often.....:woohoo:

Where did you get the the seeds from? They may be cursed, lol.

I have a approx five month old Fatalii that is only on it's third set of true leaves. It lives in the loungeroom and doesn't show any signs of getting bigger but that will change when it goes outside when it gets warmer.

As long as they're in a proper potting soil and not a propagating mix then they should be fine. In another few weeks we should be getting some decent Spring weather and they'll take off. Maybe you could move them away from the cold window overnight, on top of your fridge if it's warm there.

I'm growing them in white polystyrene cups and they are all in a white polysterene fruit box. Initially I had the box sealed with gladwrap but I took that off a couple of days ago. Should I put the gladwrap back on to keep the heat in?
Peter.

i had this problem. They just kicked back in to hyperdrive grow mood though. id hit em with some foliar feed. Not too strong though. I recommend miracle grow fertilizer or fertlilome.

palexxxx said:
I'm growing them in white polystyrene cups and they are all in a white polysterene fruit box. Initially I had the box sealed with gladwrap but I took that off a couple of days ago. Should I put the gladwrap back on to keep the heat in?
Peter.

NO, pepper plants need fresh air, light, a little nutes, warmth and a lot of patience. :)

Back