• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My Tomatoes 2009

Ciao all-

I won't be sowing these for another 26 days, but I've known what I want to grow for some time. Normally, 5 or so don't germinate, but I do have back-ups planned. Here's hoping this season will be much better than the cool, wet summer we had last year! You'll notice doubles of my paste tomatoes. This is because I do a tremendous amount of canning, so I need a good many tomatoes that stand up to cooking. Most beefsteak types are highly juicy, so I would not only lose volume by using them for my canning needs, but also cooking juicy tomatoes down changes the flavour, usually not positively. Feel free to ask any questions about the varieties you see here. Many of them are not found commercially. If any of you have interest, I am always interested in sharing, so PM me if you'd consider trading pepper seeds for tomatoes. Here's my list:

Italian Red Paste Row

Franchi Pear
Franchi Pear
Uncle Charlie's Giant Italian Pear
Uncle Charlie's Giant Italian Pear
Matt d'Imperio
Matt d'Imperio

Colourful Paste Rows

Power's Heirloom
Power's Heirloom
Yellow Agate
Yellow Agate
Alladin's Lamp
Alladin's Lamp
Purple Russian
Purple Russian
Polish Pastel
Polish Pastel
Pink San Marzano
Pink San Marzano

Heart Row

Tom's Yellow Wonder
Berkeley Tie Dye Heart
Orange Strawberry
White Oxheart
Wolford's Wonder
Chocolate Stripes

Salad/Slicer Row

Tiger Paw
Little Lucky
Bali
Pink Grapefruit
Green Zebra
Moonglow

Cherry Row

Haley's Purple Comet
Yellow Submarine
Sweet Quartz x Black Cherry F1
Aunt Ruby's Green Cherry
Marizol Magic
Black Zebra Cherry

Weird Shapes Row

Zapotec Pleated
Green Bell Pepper
Scabitha
Feuerwerk
Brown Flesh
Gezanthe

Beefsteak Row

Aunt Ruby's German Green
Marianna's Peace
Cherokee Chocolate
Lucky Cross
Dr. Wyche's Yellow
Neve's Azorean Red

Determinates in Containers

Early Annie
Campbell's 1327
Bloody Butcher
Beaute Blanche du Quebec
Clear Pink Early
Quidlinburger Frühe Liebe

Munchkinland Dwarfs Expanded

Grushovka
Yellow Pygmy
Dwarf Recessive
Apricot
Goldilox
Tiny Tiger
New Big Dwarf
Elberta Peach

Munchkin's Experimental Indeterminates

Roughwood Golden Tiger
Freckled Child
Big Zac
Green Giant x Yellow Submarine F1

Extras - I will find space somewhere

Butch's
Voyage

heck of a list of tomatos...I think I will have about 27 varieties or so...got 100 healthy seedlings I need to transplant but am putting it off for a day or two...

Glad you posted...I have already learned something from you...the beefsteak and cooking down...makes sense to me...

That's going to keep your pressure canner busy for days and days!

Good luck this year - we've had two crappy growing years in a row so I'm hoping this is a breakout year.

Mike

Are you growing a lot of basil again to go with all the tomatos? If so we probably need another basil thread:)

Ciao all-

Potawie, I always grow a lot of basil every year because of all the salads we have and the canning that I do. So many Italian tomato dishes call for basil. I need to look through my seeds to decide which varieties to grow this year. Genovese is always prominent among them, though. I won't sow my basil seeds until 20 March so I have a little time to figure it all out.

Poisonette, the paste tomatoes are the main croppers for me because I do so much canning. I need a large number of tomatoes that don't require a lot of reduction when cooking and are firm enough to handle blanching and dicing without falling apart. I make a lot of caponata. The only paste varieties I've not grown before are the Matt d'Imperio which I'm comparing to Franchi Pear, one of my very favourites and Uncle Charlie's Giant Italian Pear, my family heirloom from Italy. The other one I've not grown before is the Pink San Marzano. Pink tomatoes have clear skin while red tomatoes have yellow skin. It's just about the only difference, the flesh is the same colour for both.

ChicagoFire, I do have several sauce recipes. Some require a great deal of work and some are very quick for canning. Some contain meat and some are vegetarian. It entirely depends on the use. Which are you interested in?

Sorellina said:
Genovese is always prominent among them, though. I won't sow my basil seeds until 20 March so I have a little time to figure it all out.

Sorellina,

Here's to making your mouth water:

311basil.jpg

Mike

Sorellina,

I group sowed them, probably 125 plants came up in an 8" octagon. These are to sell/transplant. Places around here are charging $4.25 per plant for basil. I have both Genovese and Thai.

Mike

Ciao Mike-

I was just teasing. That's nice that you have a niche market to sell your plants. Here, farmers markets charge huge fees for a table and the nurseries won't take them. I usually bring my extras to church. It's an Italian parish so things like basil, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, they all appreciate them.

Julliana, I would be interested in recipes that are meatless since sometimes I take a huge can of sauce, some italian sausage a small can of diced tomatoes and some spices and just let it simmmer on low for a few hours. I have NEVER had the delight of making it from scratch. I would even grow the herbs to make a huge batch and can it for the winter.

Ciao ChicagoFire-

Ok, what I'll do then is post my quick tomato sauce canning recipe over in the recipes section under sauces for you. It's highly adaptable for whatever your sauce needs are.

LostMind-

Send me a PM if you want some basil seeds. I should have enough to fill the bill for your growing needs. Mind you, in BC it may be a bit of a challenge, depending on how much overcast you get this season. You may want to think about a small "greenhouse" or protection from cold/wet. Basil doesn't like those conditions.

An impressive list indeed.Good luck to you this year. Here is my list.

Giant Tree

Italian Giant Beefsteak

Thessaloniki

Al-Kuffa

Primetime

Cherokee Purple

Amish Paste

Cosmonaut Volkov

Country Taste

Yellow Brandywine

Crimson Cushion

Rutgers

Red Brandywine

Kevin

Ciao Klorentz-

You have some good all-purpose tomatoes in there. Rutgers is especially good for canning whole and Thessoloniki is outstanding in any kind of salad. Cosmonaut Volkov got very big for me, both fruit and plant. Cherokee Purple is one of the better tomatoes for fresh eating, particularly in sandwiches and burgers. You should be set for a good season!

Sorellina said:
Ciao Klorentz-

You have some good all-purpose tomatoes in there. Rutgers is especially good for canning whole and Thessoloniki is outstanding in any kind of salad. Cosmonaut Volkov got very big for me, both fruit and plant. Cherokee Purple is one of the better tomatoes for fresh eating, particularly in sandwiches and burgers. You should be set for a good season!

Yep all good ones. This is my first year growing these as the Hybrids I use to grow come from a subsidiary of Monsanto so I discontinued growing them. I know someone that uses Cherokee Purple in pasta sauce.Says it is darker than normal but is really good. My Aunt used Rutgers all the time she use to say it was the best caner. Cant wait to see how all of them turn out along with my peppers. Gonna be a busy season.

Kevin

Ciao all-

I have another 2 weeks before I start my tomato seeds, but I thought I'd include some other related plants that I've started growing inside.

Eggplants

I sowed my eggplants on 20 Feb:

Casper - 16 plants
Rosa Bianca - 16 plants

Potted up into 16 oz cups on 14 March, all doing well, most with 2 true leaves now.

Basil

I seeded the basil on 21 March in a mass-sowing method, 2 cells of each variety except Genovese which has 4 cells in a 32-cell flat with bottom heat:

Anise
Cinnamon
Kavkazskiy - purple variety from Russia
Blue Spice
Napolitano
Purple Delight
Lime
Mrs. Burns Lemon
Red Rubin
Genovese
Purple Ruffles
Siam Queen
Fino Verde
Minette - Self-saved
Green Ruffles - Self-saved

Ciao all-

Sowing day for the tomatoes is this Saturday. I made a couple of last-minute changes to my grow list, but this is the final list. I have back-ups for whichever varieties that decide they're not going to germinate and there are always a few. I'll adjust the list accordingly once the final germination is complete. Today and tomorrow are tray and insert washing/disinfecting days.

Back