• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Mystery hab?

Got a mystery plant I need help identifying. I got one plant labeled as a neon-yellow hab but is obviously different from all others and ripens orange. I'm nearly positive the problem originated at the seed company, but am hesitant to lay blame till I know for sure. One of my favourite looking plants so far and lots of fruits.

I find many pods look like a vulture's face

Hi

I got some seeds sent to me this year that were labelled as Neon Yellow (Red) maybe they are from the same source. I have not grown any yet so I know no more. I also have some Red/Yellow Habs, this time growing but all have turned out to be red (rather disappointingly).

As is often the case with exchanged seed, it may well be the case that the seeds you got were not from isolated pods, so I guess there is some cross going on there....anyways its not to much of a hassle, really especially if they taste good!!!!

Hoping they come out a treat for ya

Guy

Oops just noticed they came from Reimers.....they are not exactly renowned for reliable seed, I would not buy anything from them in any case...not that I ever need to buy seeds these days...LOL

All the best

Guy

What about taking a White Ammo Hab (Tm) and calling it a White Bullet Hab(Tm). Or a Craig's triple hot(Tm) and calling it a Don's triple hot(Tm). How do they(Reimers) get away with that. Do they make their own cross-species and stabilize or just steal?

POTAWIE said:
I think I hit the jackpot. It all makes sense. Those crazy Reimers guys. No picture but check this out.
http://www.reimerseeds.com/habanero-hot-pepper-vultures-beak.aspx
Its a Reimer's exclusive TM and all. What exactly does that mean? Its not the same as pvp varieties or is it? Since I never did buy the seeds, can I distribute pods/seeds legally?

Distribute legally? I don't know.....send me some and see if they care....:onfire:
Potawie Fatalinero (TM)

sixstring75 (TM)

How about Potawii Pepper(TM)
Potawie's Triple hot Jalapeno(TM)
Potawie's White rounds(TM)

Gotta love the look of the pepper though. Although Reimer's has caused me problems, this one is a plus. I'll try to save seeds for those interested (plant not isolated). Since there is no flowers presently, and its in a pot, I plan to isolate it in the near future.

POTAWIE said:
How about Potawii Pepper(TM)
Potawie's Triple hot Jalapeno(TM)
Potawie's White rounds(TM)

Gotta love the look of the pepper though. Although Reimer's has caused me problems, this one is a plus. I'll try to save seeds for those interested (plant not isolated). Since there is no flowers presently, and its in a pot, I plan to isolate it in the near future.

It is a really cool looking pod.

Those Monkey Face look pretty cool but they are an annuum from what I read. From my experience, these Vultures are pretty much guaranteed to be a chinense. Those Condor's Beak look interesting too.

Derek

This has become one of my favorites. Its very hot, its beautiful and its very airomatic. Of the dozen or so varieties I have dried, these smell the most amazing and are as hot or hotter than most of my habs. I was unable to truly isolate the plant for true breeding, but I did take some clones(cuttings)which are now rooted and growing nice under flourescent lights. There is no way I want to deal with Reimers again so the effort for me is more than worth it. I will be starting some saved seeds to see how they turn out, but relying on the clones for future seeds.

Here's some pics
oct18017uk5.jpg
My favorite looking dried pepper.

july24006ss9.jpg
Hot innards with few seeds

july24002vu8.jpg
Plant on July24

POTAWIE said:
What about taking a White Ammo Hab (Tm) and calling it a White Bullet Hab(Tm). Or a Craig's triple hot(Tm) and calling it a Don's triple hot(Tm). How do they(Reimers) get away with that. Do they make their own cross-species and stabilize or just steal?

It is my opinion and the opinion of many other chile growers that Reimers is full of potatos, no matter what they say on their website.....what they say on the website is full of potatos, also.

Another warning to avoid purchasing seed from Reimers.

Sickmont said:
Wow...those are really cool looking. You mentioned the aroma....what do they smell like?

It's hard to describe smells for me but it smells different than most habs. I think most red chiles have sort of a red smell if that makes any sense. These are just very strong/potent on the red smell with a little fruitiness or sweetness.

Potawie,

Those look awesome. Can I ask a question you grow those plants in containers? I thought I saw an earth box. The chiles look great. I always have varying results in containers. We also do a few (12 plants) hydroponically with steady results. In the ground we usually do real well. So if you have a secret to share on container growing would really like to hear it. It makes it easier for moisture control and any problems that might arise being able to move them around.

Would like to hear other comments on container vs in ground chile growing.

Mick
Kato's

Back