• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Mystery Pepper ID

Looking for confirmation on this pepper. No i didn't drop my seed tray nor did i mislabel, this is the infamous attempt at a Peppermania mystery seed.
(for those that don't know, Peppermania staples a small baggie of mystery seeds(25 seeds) to the back of their business card included with every order).

My first attempt, it was easy, the seeds were black. this time i randomly picked 2 seeds to sow and now i am seeing the results.

I believe this is a hatch pepper. my reasoning is, Peppermania has a list of their peppers sorted by variety and i narrowed it down to annuum, then "googled images" all the varieties being offered and eliminated the list to a select few. the problem, images can vary a lot and some have overlap. the only other option was a peter pepper, which also had similar overlapping pics(many don't produce the phallic image).

Since i have never grown nor seen a hatch pepper, have i narrowed my selection correctly??

first, 2 older pictures, then one from today for comparison:

I am thinking not, because the end of yours is more rounded. Green, that made me think it was a cucumber at first, before reading. And then I thought "oh, your poor little plant!" The leaves don't look happy, and it's like letting teenagers have babies….. Were the flowers like standard annuum flowers? What are you growing it in, and are you feeding it? If so, how much how often? 

Definitely not a peter pepper. I grew some last year, and most didn't make the stereotypical "peter" shape, but they had lots of folds and bends.... that pepper is just too straight and smooth. I couldn't say if it was a hatch pepper. Don't hatches typically look like Anaheim peppers?

Were the flowers like standard annuum flowers? What are you growing it in, and are you feeding it? If so, how much how often? 
definitely annuum flower, mix is reused potting soil(peat) with perolite. may have ground eggshell, coffee grounds, aact tea grounds of possible seaweed/comfrey - happens when i pot up. also, handful of compost manure/humus/peatmoss(it is a purchased bag of walmarts cheapest soil -$2/bag). i may have hit the roots at sometime with homemade lactic acid.  but in its early days, it was hit with 10-52-10 for root development, then later on with 18-18-21 tomato fertilizer, but since being move outside it only gets my aact tea. the ripen picture was taken after sitting in the hot sun, in that little 1 gallon container. 

this plant was fast at flowering and fruiting, just as fast as a bulgarian carrot, the plant only gave to 2 pods with the second dropping. ripening though has taken a long time. i doubt i will move it to a larger pot as i am lacking in pots and soil.

peppermania only lists 25 annuum varieties, many were easy to eliminate with descriptions "round pods", "tomato shaped", "purple color". like i mentioned, many pictures seem to overlap, like when viewing hatch images all of a sudden you see images of pods with just a minor tapered apex .

like Chris mentions, with only 1 pod and the first one, this pod may not be reflective of future pods(if i get anymore).  next will be to taste it and get a flavour and heat level comparison but that too may not point to much being the first pod. just had a ripened japone with zero heat value.

now that i have reviewed my notes, it may be the infamous "broome" pepper. i'll to view more pics!

I had one annuum a couple years ago that only put out one pod, then a caterpillar got to it just before it ripened. It also put out the pod while the plant was fairly small; it kind of seemed like it put all its energy into that one pod then just gave up. I hope that's not the case with your plant, and that you have many, many opportunities to find what it is!

It reminds me of a pepper I got from Chris simply marked as a pakistani pepper, but there is so many types of peppers from that region. As there are so many varieties of annuums its very hard to say what it might be. My pakistani pepper plant had lots of branchs that loaded up with pods just like yours pods great flavor and nice heat level that wasn't over powering.

Back