• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MYSTERY PLANT GROW LOG 09-02-09

I bought some seeds that were supposed to be Caribbean Red Habanero. They sprouted directly in an outdoor container in less than a week, and grew nicely. But then when I saw the first podling I said, "What the heck?"

I began taking pictures, so I may as well continue thru harvest.

mystery001.jpg

mystery004-1.jpg

Same pod a couple weeks later.
mystery005.jpg

I lost all the flowers during the summer heat wave on Plant 2 except for the 3 pods. I have half the seeds for the 1st pod (I ate the other half during my pod test) and will harvest all the seeds from the 2 that are ripening now.

There are more buds now but not sure how well they will do since it's already October. So far of the 4 plants, only Plant 2 has the pods that look like that.

But you and patrick can have those. Again, since this is some odd hybrid, I'm not sure how the seeds will grow.

PM me with your address.

Looks a LOT like the Caribbean Red that I have going. I just picked its first ripe pod yesterday, cut it open to have a look, and then ate it diced up in my chili.

I'm not sure mine's as hot as yours though. The chilis from my garden don't seem to be as hot as they're supposed to be. Or maybe it's just bad luck with the pods I've tried so far.

Anyways, visually it's a twin of my Caribbean Red.

The seed pack was labeled 'Caribbean Red' but doesn't look like the many pictures I have seen of them.

UPDATE

Here are the most recent pics of Plant #3.

The large one here looks more like the expected Hab.

mystery014.jpg

But these have something else going on.

mystery015.jpg

The large pod began ripening after this pic from last week.

mystery016.jpg

They are very cool lookin pods, also your plants look very green and healthy.
Care to share what you've been feeding them?

FadeToBlack said:
your plants look very green and healthy. Care to share what you've been feeding them?

5-5-5 100% Organic Slow-Release All-Purpose Fertilizer

That was mixed into the potting soil before transplant, and I augmented thru the season on top, along with home-grown worm castings on top. Also a few tablespoons of Epsom Salt on top several times during budding and flowering.

This year I will add the worm castings into the soil before transplant as well.

Quick question on the epsom salts, is it the same stuff you buy for soft-water systems for your home? Or is there a specific gardening type of epsom salt?

UPDATE

I have a couple more ripe pods. One from Plant #2 and #3.

Plant #2

mystery017.jpg

Plant #3

mystery018-1.jpg

No taste test at this time, as they are simply too pretty to eat.

UPDATE

Pods are ripening. They were looking so much like candy corn the other night on Halloween I thought about, well, never mind...

mystery019.jpg

let me at em! nom nom. I am no chile taxonomist but that looks like a scorpion but on a bonnet... Looks DELISH! Congrats.k

Night temps are low 50's and day is 70+

They are taking their time.

But I really like rainbow type ripenings.

I thought that was a cool pic overall, so I took it

Pepper Art, if you will, :lol:

Back