• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Mystery Purple Pepper? Update 6/20

So, I got most of my seeds from www.pepperlover.com last year. This plant sprouted quicker than any of them, and grew real tall, lanky and purple. I topped it early to make it bushier. It was in with my Giant Jalapeno seeds, and it looks slightly like a Jalapeno, but different. What's your verdict?
DSCI0041_zpsa9a50eed.jpg

DSCI0045_zpsd98eb541.jpg

DSCI0048_zps95f351fd.jpg

Purple mystery peppers are seeming to pop up every where now days, I have some that may be interesting once they get bigger and where I can tell what they are, I planted one rolls of what I thought was a C. praetermissum and a row of what I thought was C. cardenasii  in the praetermissum row I had one come up and its first set of leaves were purple and the hole roll of cardenasii came up with all purple plants stems and leaves can't wait to see what is up with them.
Yours are very interesting It in a way looks more like a serrano cross than jalapeño but that could be the purple plants genes working maybe They are purple Serrano's and it crossed with your jumbo jalapeños plant sees you got. Did you get any more purple plants from  from the seeds marked Jumbo Jalapeño?
I'm also segregating a purple mystery X C. galapagoense I'm at F4 but so far I don't see any C. galapagoense traits, but maybe this year I will find something special out of the 4 plants that I had come up. 
Good luck with yours, it will be interesting to see what the ripe pods look like

a couple of my Giant Jalapenos had a little purple to them, but not like this thing. When it was smaller, the entire thing was purple. It's leaves are smaller than the rest of my Giant Jalapenos, and its just as tall.

OhioGrown said:
a couple of my Giant Jalapenos had a little purple to them, but not like this thing. When it was smaller, the entire thing was purple. It's leaves are smaller than the rest of my Giant Jalapenos, and its just as tall.
My purple jalapenos last year seemed leggier than my jalapeno m and my biker billy,even after I hardened them off. Could also be a cross as mentioned above

well, I ate one of them tonight. It was really mild. The one I ate a couple weeks was so hot, I couldn't finish it. How do I know when they're ripe? The one I had tonight tasted really fresh like a bell, with a mild overtone of heat. The one I ate a couple weeks ago, tasted more ripe, and the heat was more intense. I would be willing to ship a few out when I get back from vacation, to get someone's professional opinion.

OhioGrown said:
well, I ate one of them tonight. It was really mild. The one I ate a couple weeks was so hot, I couldn't finish it. How do I know when they're ripe? The one I had tonight tasted really fresh like a bell, with a mild overtone of heat. The one I ate a couple weeks ago, tasted more ripe, and the heat was more intense. I would be willing to ship a few out when I get back from vacation, to get someone's professional opinion.
the heat will vary that common

wait till there red then try one, im sure they will turn red

thanks your friend Joe

Judy from pepperlover.com responded to me saying that they had Purple Cayenne seeds, but not enough to sell. She thought they got mixed in with some stuff. So I guess that's what it is, , I'll wait until they're red to really try one...

Back