• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Naga/Bhut Jolokias from Peppergal?

Ordered some, but now skeptical because they're labeled as Naga/Bhut Jolokia. A very kind forum member took the time to explain the different Bhut's and Nagas to me, so now I'm worried about what it is. Anybody grew them from peppergal.com?

There's really not much difference in my opinion other than size. In the early days nagas and bhuts were all classified as naga jolokia, these days we know there are some minor difference probably due to geographical differences and different growers' selective breeding

They are relative to each other but not the same. The website doesnt offer much of an explanation either. Dont forget to ask around here for seeds too

LUCKYDOG said:
They are relative to each other but not the same. The website doesnt offer much of an explanation either. Dont forget to ask around here for seeds too

Luckydog, a member was kind enough to offer a few varieties to me from his list. He shall remain nameless unless he wants to step up and take credit, but I wont mention who just to keep people from bum rushing him. On top of that I ordered 6 different varieties from peppergal. Service was fast and great, but I just wonder about how pure the seed is, especially since 5 out of the 6 I ordered are fairly popular on here and want to use this fall as trading stock.

From peppergal.com: chocolate habs, caribbean red, fatalii, naga/bhut jolokia?, yellow scotch bonnets and Big Jims.

Also got some local jalapenos, cayennes, red chile, and poblanos, which I'll probably upgrade to a better strain next year unless Im extremely pleased with what I have.

yellow 7's and trinidad scorpians on the way from a kind member on here.

MrArboc said:
Isn't Naga Jolokia an annuum, often called PC-1?

There's always been confusion with the name Naga Jolokia but the jolokia part really just means pepper/chile. In the early days when the nagas/bhuts were just rumours in these parts, there were many types all refered to as naga jolokia including a couple annuum versions, a frutescens type, and a chinense type(now seperated into different variations)

I was browsing that site and thought about ordering almost exactly what you ordered. I wanted to try the naga seeds , the scotch bonnett, fatalli and the choc habs. I have 12 Bhut seeds that I ordered from Pepper Joe. May place my order tomorrow as her prices are reasonable and shipping is $3.

JustinNC said:
Luckydog, a member was kind enough to offer a few varieties to me from his list. He shall remain nameless unless he wants to step up and take credit, but I wont mention who just to keep people from bum rushing him. On top of that I ordered 6 different varieties from peppergal. Service was fast and great, but I just wonder about how pure the seed is, especially since 5 out of the 6 I ordered are fairly popular on here and want to use this fall as trading stock.

From peppergal.com: chocolate habs, caribbean red, fatalii, naga/bhut jolokia?, yellow scotch bonnets and Big Jims.

Also got some local jalapenos, cayennes, red chile, and poblanos, which I'll probably upgrade to a better strain next year unless Im extremely pleased with what I have.

yellow 7's and trinidad scorpians on the way from a kind member on here.

Well they're in core pellets now. More going in a starter mix tomorrow. Maybe we'll have a mild fall and I can get a good crop. Not sure if ima plant all 140 or so seeds or not. Idk what I'd do if I got even half to germinate.

MrArboc said:
Isn't Naga Jolokia an annuum, often called PC-1?

Actually I think its the other way around, PC-1 is an annuum that was prob named Naga Jolokia by some seed sellers to trick people into buying them at inflated prices, and now the name has been forever associated with the craptastic PC-1.
I actually purchased "Naga Jolokia" seeds last year, after reading the storys about ppl getting pc-1's I thought oh great I got taken. However when they started to flower I knew it was not an annuum and then when the pods grew I found out they were in fact Naga Morich (or atleast thats what they look like) and not pc-1 , I will have plenty of seeds for them in a few months so if anyone is interested in growing them to determine if they are at all different from the naga morich let me know, I myself could not see any difference from my Naga Morich pods.

heres some interesting information from a website based in india

Naga Jolokia
The Mexican chilli Red Savina Habanero was considered as hottest chilli with 557,000 Scoville units. The hottest chilli on earth is found in India. The Naga Jolokia or also called "Tezpur Chilli" has been proved by the scientists are the hottest chilli in the world with 8,55,000 Scoville units.

also here is another site on the Tezpur Chile which they also call "Naga Jolokia" and "Naga Morich" picture sure looks like a bhut/naga to me funny thing is here they classify it as C.frutescens but this could easily be a mistake on the authors part because I believe initial the naga/bhut was believed to be a C.frutescens until they realized it was actually a C.Chinense.

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Tezpur%20Chilli.html

the best part is neither of these sites mention the name Bhut Jolokia and the PC-1 has been called a Tezpur as well.. and the plot thickens lol :)

so to sum it all up (and this is just my opinion based on information I have found) that Naga Jolokia is a legit name for Naga Morich / Bhut Jolokia, however due to poor seed selling and naming practices this name has been permanently tarnished.

Here is a pretty concise timeline of what seems to be facts relating to the Bhut Jolokia
http://www.indiacurry.com/faqspice/bhutjolokia.htm

-Rich

The pc-1 wasn't developed to trick people. It was around these parts longer than any of the other "nagas"(Except maybe the naga jolokia purple which is another story) but many seed sellers are either just confused since they are resellers and not chileheads or they began using the similarity in names for marketing trickery:( These days 99% of the time you see naga jolokia seeds for sale, it refers to the pc-1/tezpur so be aware.
Pc-1 and tezpur are the same pepper but apparently come in fructescens and annuum forms which may explain the difference in shu from different seed sources. There was also a pc-2 being sold many years ago.
Personally I would have thought that a pepper developed for military purposes would be much hotter but I find them weak on heat and flavor

Notice the different SHU levels for the pc-1/ in this 2001 test. Ecoseeds pc-1 rated 6208 SHU while Reimers(NEVER BUY FROM THEM) rated 81984 SHU
http://www.fiery-foods.com/article-archives/86-capsaicin/105-2001-scoville-heat-levels-reported

I didnt mean that the PC-1 was developed for that purpose, I meant that the name "Naga Jolokia" was used to describe it for that purpose.
according to this timeline http://www.indiacurry.com/faqspice/bhutjolokia.htm the Bhut Jolokia was originally discovered as "Naga Jolokia" and since their was numerous names for the same plant Bosland decided to use the name Bhut Jolokia when it was submitted for testing. so I still do not believe the name "Naga Jolokia" was a real name for the PC-1 I believe "Naga Jolokia" was refering to the same species of chile as the Bhut until it was mistakenly attached to the pc-1 chile.
but thats just an opinion, as there are alot of names and facts are blurred we may never have "actual" facts on the matter.

also Frontal Agritech refers to them as Bih Jolokia and Naga Jolokia http://www.frontalagritech.co.in/

I just wish seed sellers would stop refering to PC-1 as Naga Jolokia because it is wrong whether intentional or not.

As I said the naga jolokia term used to include many varieties but these days it almost always means the lousy pc-1. People were getting scammed by these pc-1s long before the bhuts were even widely known about in these parts. Nagas/bhuts have been around for many years, and were not "discovered", some of us chileheads knew about this pepper for a long time, even longer than Bosland in some cases.

Here's the full story
http://www.fiery-foods.com/chile-pe...about-growing-chile-peppers/2363-saga-jolokia

"At that time, the ‘Naga Jolokia’, also named the ‘Tezpur’ in some reports, was said to be a member of Capsicum frutescens, the same species as the ‘Tabasco’ chile"

I guess thats kinda why I still like the "Naga" because when I first heard about it thats what I had always seen it called so I always associated the Naga with the Bhut so its always kinda been the same to me, thats why I hate the pc-1 being called that lol. so I guess my point was that locally it was refered to as naga or bih jolokia long before Bosland came along or the pc-1 even exsisted.

-Rich

I here you Rich, I've spent about 6+ years warning people not to buy anything called naga jolokia, pc-1, or tezpur. It gets repetitious but I know I've saved a lot of people time and money

POTAWIE- I wish I had researched a little more before I bought them and spent the extra coin to get some from a different source. Lesson learned for next time. I will say, if the seeds are any idication as to what the pepper tastes like, should make for good powder/sauce once grown. Had one last night that was cracked, (I know some say they'll possibly sprout anyway, but I have enough for what I want anyway), and ate it. Nice flavor. Can't wait to try the real deal.

I put in 16 Big Jims, 6 Fatalii, 6 Caribbean Red, 6 Choc Hab, 6 "Naga/Bhut Jolokia (Notice the " "s), and 6 yellow Scotch Bonnets. Probably will put in another 3 or 4 of each, minus the Big Jims in a fine pine bark grind medium today just for chits and giggles. Maybe Ill atleast have a couple 'choice' plants to choose from from each variety.

Great info guys !! My first experience with a Bhut Jolokia was fresh pods from CCN . It kicked my a$$ !! Looking at it looked like a C.Chinense to me.I had no idea what country it came from , but the name sounded Indian to my lame mind. Not knowing much I also didn't think India grew C.Chinense peppers. I thought the South America and the Caribbean were the main areas.

The picture of the PC-1 doesn't look like a C.Chinense in the least to me. There may well be C.Chinense that look like that but I'm still new to all the types there is.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back