• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Naga/Bih/Bhut Jolokia compared

Excellent article.

Very good article. Great pictures of some nice looking peppers. I'm hoping I can grow some peppers like that this coming year!

I'm not sure if the article provided anything new or noteworthy, but the pictures were pretty nonetheless. :) I am glad to see Naga Morich got mention. Where was Dorset Naga?

Chris

I enjoyed the article, but was even more interested in the findings of 'peperonciniamoci.it'.
Those 7Pots/Pods look like a mean pepper, and I think I'll enjoy growing them.
I also liked the fact that 'thechileman.org' was their source of Naga Morich. ;)

What did the peperonciniamoci.it page say? I found it, but neither Google nor I could translate it.

I've tasted dried bhut and fresh naga, they both hot enough lol
It also seems very dependent on conditions and good pollination...for example I can garentee pods grown in a 45 deg c indian summer are gonna be hotter than one grown in a Brisbane 20 deg c winter. Indoor hydroponic growerswould havean advantage being able to mimick these optimum conditions.

Naga Morich is the smart way to go.
More than one tester said that it's the most productive, and some have said it's the hottest.
Some have also said it's really large most of the time.

So even if it's not the hottest, it's still pretty damn close and very productive.

stillmanz said:
I've tasted dried bhut and fresh naga, they both hot enough lol

Well sure, but I would still like to see the Bhut, the Naga, and the Trinidad Scorpion grown together under controlled conditions and tested. It would greatly satisfy my inner Curious George to know once and for all which is really the hottest.

It also seems very dependent on conditions and good pollination...for example I can garentee pods grown in a 45 deg c indian summer are gonna be hotter than one grown in a Brisbane 20 deg c winter. Indoor hydroponic growerswould havean advantage being able to mimick these optimum conditions.

Again with the sure, which is why growing them together under controlled conditions is necessary to get a definitive answer.

POTAWIE said:
I wonder why NMSU didn't test for SHU?;) I know its expensive, but I'd chip in a few bucks.

Its called politics! If they said one was hotter than the other all hell would break loose between the NMSU (the Bhut Jolokia camp) and Frontal Agritech (the Bih Jolokia camp), both of which have spent a lot of money marketing these peppers.

In addition the heat is not uniform across the variety - it varies from pod to pod and is dependent on many environmental factors.

All 3 peppers are in similar ball park SHU ranges. 7 pod & Trinidad Scorpion are just as hot in my experience. At these SHU levels is almost impossible to say which is hottest by simply tasting them. They all hurt like hell!! Accurate calibrations and testing using HPLC is also very expensive.

It would be more fun to cross these varieties to develop a new 'hot pepper' don't you think ;)

For a while I've been thinking of a "White Naga" pepper, with even more heat.
I would call it "Omri Naga". :lol:

POTAWIE said:
I was thinking of crossing a seven pod/pot and calling it "seven potawie":lol:

Hmmmm. So it would burn ya up, get ya high, and make ya hungry for another one....what a vicious cycle.....all you'd have to do to take over the world is get everyone else addicted and be the only source for these....

Like Homer's tomacco plant.:lol:

What I meant was Seven pod/pot crossed with something, not seven pod crossed with pot but wouldn't that be awesome.

Back