• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Naga Fruit....Ripe...Or Not ?

Hi all. I have been offline for a long time. Well out of all my pepper plants that I grew, I manage to save 1 Naga Jolokia, with 1 fruit on it. I am assuming IF I pot it up into a bigger pot, maybe all the blooms that it has will produce some more fruit and hold them, instead of dropping them.

Well my question is.... the 1 perfect pepper I have on my Naga has now turned completely orange/red, not a blemish on it, I watched it go through all the color changes to this red/orange. So I assume it is ripe. BUT how do I know when to pick it? It has been red for 3 days now. And we just went through that tropical storm 'Fay'. So I am putting it back outside tomorrow. So..when is it really ripe to pick? Can I leave it on to long and ruin it? Are the seeds in it, I hope it has seeds in it, are they able to be saved to plant? IF so...how do I save them to plant them up later this year, like October. OR later next year. October is the beginning of south Fla's vegetable growing season.

So planting new peppers then would be easier maybe, then when I tried in spring and got all those plants,...then lost them all except this one plant. That's when the vegetable fields are full of plants, until about April or so. So...is it ripe? and can the seeds...if there are any, be saved and planted?:?:

That naga is ripe and ready to eat, just pop it in your mouth! If you wanna save some seeds then cut it open and scrape or cut out the seed into a dish and let dry a week. Don't know about you pepper season but if it is so hot just place the plant in a little shade.

Don't get rid of your current plant. If you can plant seeds in October you should be able to overwinter your current plant.
Nagas produce even more fruit their second season.

I had horrible blossom drop this year and last with my Nagas. As soon as the temps fall a bit from the summer highs they start setting pods galore.

As the gentlemen above have said its ripe and you be mad to throw away a plant that yields more and more in the second and hopefully later seasons :)

Ripe Or Not ?

talas said:
As the gentlemen above have said its ripe and you be mad to throw away a plant that yields more and more in the second and hopefully later seasons :)

I wasnt planning on throwing the plant out. I was planning on either planting it into the yard or into a BIG pot to get it to hold onto all the blooms and hopefully get more peppers. I just need to know when this 1 that I have is ripe. And how to save ANY seed I find. I was thinking of pickling the one pod...after taking out the seeds. Does anyone know how to do that? There must be a receipe to do that somewhere....anyone?

As soon as it turns orange or red its ripe and the longer it stays on the plant, the quicker it will rot or bugs/birds will get at them. As said above just remove the seeds, dry them, then store them in a dry place until you're ready to germinate them.
Pickling is easy but you'll want more than 1 pod.

Pickling, to preserve my Naga pod.

POTAWIE said:
As soon as it turns orange or red its ripe and the longer it stays on the plant, the quicker it will rot or bugs/birds will get at them. As said above just remove the seeds, dry them, then store them in a dry place until you're ready to germinate them.
Pickling is easy but you'll want more than 1 pod.

Well I only have 1 pod to pickle. Do you know how to do it? Any recipe can be made smaller to use for only 1 pod. I cut it off yesterday..so i want to get the seeds out of it..and pickle it, to save it...and the pickling liquid would be HOT...right?, I want to do it after a TINY taste of the fresh pod.!

Back