• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Naga Jolokia???

Hiya, this is supposedly a Naga Jolokia according to the supplier's packaging. The thing is the pods are going from green to black all the images I've found seem to show green/ yellow then red. Anyone have any idea if They were labelled wrong and if so what have I got?
The pods feel firm and healthy enough, I'm in the south east UK and the plant's on a sheltered patio with pretty good sun.
Cheers folks! :cool:
DSC00158.jpg

Yep, you've been had.

Why don't people form class action lawsuits for stuff like this because it happens ALL the freaking time?

Wrong colour, wrong shape and pointing in the wrong direction, bummer man. Where did you get the seeds from?

POTAWIE said:
It looks like maybe a pc-1(tezpur) naga jolokia

:shocked: This is really confusing me, I thought I had a handle on the naga/bhut/etc this is the wikipedia site for the naga jolokia and it looks like the bhut/dorset naga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper

but a quick google for tezpur PC1 gives this

http://naga-bhut-jolokia.co.uk/Bhut_Jolokia.html

and they are the same shape as the OP's

but then I find this which seems fairly conclusive

Indian PC-1
Naga Jolokia

Chilli Heat Level ???
This striking and very useful chilli from Assam an area in India close to the famous city of Tezpur, renowned for bringing us some of the hottest varieties around. 21/2" chillies, The chilli has a cited heat level of 855,000 SHU but it is very doubtful it holds this much heat!!!! Probably it would be closer to 100,000 SHU if, that. Lots of seed suppliers call it Naga Jolokia by mistake. According to our informed local experts, the chilli tested with a heat level of 855,000 SHU was actually the Bhut Jolokia which in some parts of India is called Naga Jolokia, Naga being an area and Jolokia meaning Pepper or chilli. This was the chilli tested with a recorded heat level of 855,000 SHU. Indian PC-1 is a Capsicum annuum. As you can see from the photographs, the Indian PC-1 chilli (AMKA also mistakenly known as the Naga Jolokia) actually bears no resemblance to the Capsicum Chinense family to which all the hottest varieties belong. This is no reason not to grow it but please do not mistake it for the similarly named but much hotter Bhut/Bih Jolokia.

Source http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/naga_jolokia_indian_pc1_chilli_pepper_seeds.htm

I'd do a search here before trusting Wiki and those other sites. The pc-1 was the first type available here to be called naga jolokia and many seed sites still falsely claim that its the world's hottest when it is actually very dissapointing in flavor and heat. There is also a purple naga jolokia which isn't very hot (C. annuum)

SanSoo said:
There seem to be many out there, including honest nurseries, selling the "latest new thing" the bhut jolokia.

True, but if you buy the Naga Jolokia you should know that you aren't getting the hottest known pepper in the world.

Not sure if this is what the OP asked about though....

Like they said, that's a Naga jolokia. It's not a Bhut or naga morich which are one of the hottest in the world. Good news, it's not going to kill you heat wise. The bad news, it's not going to kill you heat wise.:P It gets confusing when people call Bhuts or naga morich a naga Jolokia which they aren't really.

POTAWIE said:
I'd do a search here before trusting Wiki and those other sites.
Agreed but do you disagree with what they say?

MrArboc said:
True, but if you buy the Naga Jolokia you should know that you aren't getting the hottest known pepper in the world.

The first hit I got on google for "world's hottest chilli" was the wiki site that says

"The Naga Jolokia (English: King Cobra Chile) — also known as Bhut Jolokia, Ghost Chile, Ghost Pepper, Naga Morich — is a chile pepper. In 2007, it was confirmed by Guinness World Records to be the hottest chile in the world, replacing the Red Savina."
Someone who wants to try growing the hottest chilli shouldn't have to know all the various name combinations, the vendor should have clear and accurate information on the seeds they're selling.

It looks like as Naga is an area and Jolokia means pepper more than one type have been called the same thing leading to confusion with one being the super hot and the other not.

:confused:It's easy to see why Latin naming was introduced, even so it's estimated that on average plants have 3 official names each:shocked:

I think I'm going to go for a lie down...

Lally said:
Agreed but do you disagree with what they say?

Ya I disagree with a lot of it although the article has been edited and improved a lot due to chileheads like me who hate to see un-truths.
Generally anything called naga jolokia is garbage in my book, although in the past the term covered all the different types including frutescens, annuums and chinenses. Make sure its naga morich(or dorset naga) or bhut(or bih) jolokia and not naga jolokia. Its sad to see people still getting ripped off after 5 or so years of the same B.S. I post about this all the time and it might bore some but I just hate seeing posts every month where people are dissapopinted in their weird skinny upright jolokias

POTAWIE said:
Ya I disagree with a lot of it although the article has been edited and improved a lot due to chileheads like me who hate to see un-truths.
Generally anything called naga jolokia is garbage in my book, although in the past the term covered all the different types including frutescens, annuums and chinenses. Make sure its naga morich(or dorset naga) or bhut(or bih) jolokia and not naga jolokia. Its sad to see people still getting ripped off after 5 or so years of the same B.S. I post about this all the time and it might bore some but I just hate seeing posts every month where people are dissapopinted in their weird skinny upright jolokias

I see where you're coming from, it's not good that people can't get what they're looking for without being misled by ill-informed or unscrupulous vendors. What do you feel is still inaccurate with the wiki article?

The big problem is they still use the term Naga Jolokia only to describe the C. chinense variety and without specifying which type: Naga, bhut, bih etc.. To most knowledgeable chileheads, the term Naga Jolokia is used only for the dissapointing pc-1 or tezpur type as well as the naga jolokia purple(annuum)
They also don't seem to be sure of the SHU of pure cap which is 15000000SHU "For comparison, pure capsaicin (the chemical responsible for the pungency of pepper plants) rates at 15,000,000–16,000,000 Scoville units.
"
They also say that Dr. Bosland's preffered name for the chile is Bhut Jolokia, but that is only one type of "naga/bhut", not a prefferd name. Even Bosland himself has described noticeable differences between the varieties, althogh he only sells (and tests SHU) of the Bhut.

I know I'm confused.

I can see the differences between Naga/Bhut/Bih species in the pictures posted in this forum. But the names seem to get all mixed up.

And various sources for seeds give different names and different locations for source or seed. As far as I can figure, some say the source of seed defines the name. And the pictures differ greatly out there for what is supposedly the same species.

Maybe I will simply call all of these the "Indian Ghost Serpents".

I think most suppliers are even more confused than me. Maybe I should purchase seeds here. Any Bih for sale?

OY :eek: :banghead:

POTAWIE said:
They also don't seem to be sure of the SHU of pure cap which is 15000000SHU "For comparison, pure capsaicin (the chemical responsible for the pungency of pepper plants) rates at 15,000,000–16,000,000 Scoville units.

The conversion from the HPLC ppm unit to SHU is the problem there, some labs have used a factor of 15 and some 16 to convert to SHU so it's correct for wiki to have that although an explanation of how a pure chemical had such a variable SHU rating should be included.

New Mexico State University uses 16 as you can see here http://aces.nmsu.edu/chilepepperinstitute/documents/bhutjolokia.pdf

and the Defence Research Laboratory in ...Tezpur, India uses 15

http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/aug102000/scr974.pdf

Converting from ppm to SHU seems to be part guesswork.

I have it permanently implanted in my brain that pure cap is 15 million SHU because of former member Tina's constant rants many years ago:)

Tina Brooks said:
...Check this out... 1,000,000 ppm of capsaicin, is equal to 15,000,000 Scoville Units; ergo, calling pure capsaicin crystal 16,000,000 is a marketing angle or bad math. I prefer the former since I think Blair is a danged smart feller. How do we know this? Because 1:15 is the ratio used to convert ppm to Scoville units and based on the amount of time Blair is in the business, he would know this... Or at least he should.

I don't have a problem with the marketing angle. I have a problem with everyone and their dog on the internet going around saying that pure cap is 16,000,000.

It's as if everyone with a website failed math. :roll:

T

I purchased Naga Morich seeds from the same vendor, http://naga-bhut-jolokia.co.uk/Bhut_Jolokia.html.

Some of the seeds grew plants that were what I expected and some of the seeds grew plants that the peppers grew upright. As they get some size they start hanging. The pods look the same on both plants. When I get a ripe ones I may have to sample both to check the heat level. Man I wish there was another way.

Good luck to you eggster71.

Back