• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Naga Morich vs. Dorset Naga

I know that these two are the same pepper and how the Dorset Naga came to be. But now that the dust has settled, are there essentially any differences, such as fruit size, abundance, or even heat. I would expect the Dorset then to be a superior Naga Morich. What are some of your experiences? Also I noticed Potawie grew a Morich that produced 2500 pods. I use 5 gallon pots. I've sprouted a few of each for 2011. What type of yield should I expect from the Morich and Dorset?

From what I've read there is really no difference between the two.

But I have seeds for each and will find out later on this year.

dvg

So the Dorset Naga and Naga Morich are the same just different colors? I honestly didn't know that. Will be growing Dorsets for the first time this year. I am surprised with the big chocolate thing no one called it the chocolate morich. So .....
I know that these two are the same pepper and how the Dorset Naga came to be
how?

dorset naga should technically be a bit earlier than a true naga morich.

this is based on the notion that the dorset naga is a selectively bred naga morich selected for dorset's climate.

deep red Naga Morich is fatter than the dorset naga more rough skin and thinner. dorset has smooth shiny and not a bright color as the naga morich . tase wise. naga morich has stining quick fast burn the does not last asl long as the dorset naga. while the dorst naga have slow building up heat that last longer and feels hotter than the Naga morich . they both taste strong aroma of c.chinense , the dorset naga has more juicy flesh than the Morich .
Bombay Morich
this pepper from Bombay India extremely hot when you bit into the pod you will taste a hint of very sweet chinense flavor and as you start chewing the heat starts building up

Thanks for the break down PL. I knew they were similar, possibly the same. I am growing all three anyway. The BM from you, Dorset Naga from Silver Surfer, and Naga Morich from Refining Fire Chilis.

I think it all depends on your seed source and how close they are/were to the morichs used to "develop" the dorsets. My Dorsets and morichs always grow very much the same, maybe a slight difference in pod length early on but thats it. They (Michael and Joy Michaud )only grew the Morich seeds for a few years before calling it a Dorset but it takes a lot longer than that to really produce a new variety through selective breeding. Otherwise every person that grew a plant for more than 2 years(from saved seeds) would have to re-name their chiles.
I have some selectively bred Potawie nagas I'm working on, but they are still just naga morich to me
I stopped growing the dorset since these are both very much the same, and now I just grow the chileman's naga morich

I have some selectively bred Potawie nagas
now that's rich, really riding the barrackpore train .... who am i to say, guess you can run with it!

deep red Naga Morich(bombay) is fatter than the dorset naga more rough skin and thinner
i got both from Pepperlover and my seedlings are just over a month old and all seedlings are surprising nice with lots of growth. 1 DN is in the dwc, as well as 2 bombay morich so once they take root i can only image how full the plants will get. another BM is in soil and i am just so impressed on how large it's leaves are.

i can hardly wait to see what happens at fruiting time....... i hope, i don't suffer the same fate as my fatalii, where not one produced pods and suffered flower drop. i have a fatalii in the dwc and it looks beautiful - keeping my fingers crossed on that baby.

now that's rich, really riding the barrackpore train .... who am i to say, guess you can run with it!

What, I don't get it?? I don't ride the train dude, and what does this have to do with the barackpore.
Like I said, these are still just Naga morichs but like most peppers I grow, in time I hope I can improve on them by selective breeding and adaptation. Try quoting the full sentence next time :)
Giving stable plants a new fancy name is usually just marketing B.S to me.

what you can't read my mind...sheesh!

i was thinking about a post awhile back when they trying to come up with a name for the barrackpore, scores of replies, then "why not just name it where you found it" - that's all it was.

when the barrackpore name was mentioned, i quickly googled it to see where it was on the map and when you think of the size of trinidad - in comparison to the size of our country - how a pepper could differ from one area to the next. like a corn field grown in kanata versus a corn field grown in gatineau.

Back