• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Naga Morich Winter Project

I'm growing some Jolokias, Black Hungarians, Pasilla Bajio, Tobasco, Numex Big Jim, Thai Dragon, Regular and White Habs and Sante Fe. They are in various stages of germination - from poking through the potting soil today to 18 leaves. My biggest problem so far as been keeping the cats from eating the seedlings. I built a fence around them this evening (chicken wire) hoping that helps.

The plants are in front of a SSW-facing window and will get a lot of natural sunlight. I plan on supplementing that with narrow spectrum fluorescent lighting - from two to four hours a day, depending on the length of the day.

I'm looking forward to how your plants do, as I'm not sure what kind of soil to transplant them to. I'm tempeted to just use garden dirt - my habs, Hungarians and Jalas did quite well - if it doesn't turn cold within the next two weeks, I'll have close to 100 Habs to pick.

wordwiz said:
I'm growing some Jolokias, Black Hungarians, Pasilla Bajio, Tobasco, Numex Big Jim, Thai Dragon, Regular and White Habs and Sante Fe. They are in various stages of germination - from poking through the potting soil today to 18 leaves. My biggest problem so far as been keeping the cats from eating the seedlings. I built a fence around them this evening (chicken wire) hoping that helps.

Man sounds fun! good luck with the cats. hehe

wordwiz said:
The plants are in front of a SSW-facing window and will get a lot of natural sunlight. I plan on supplementing that with narrow spectrum fluorescent lighting - from two to four hours a day, depending on the length of the day.

Sounds like a good plan, natural sunlight is the best, if you can get enopgh of it during the winter, doing both is a good idea, how do you plan on setting this up?.
let me know how you do.

wordwiz said:
I'm looking forward to how your plants do,

Thank you :P, I was hoping to inspire somebody.. I will keep posting my progress. Keep in touch...

wordwiz said:
as I'm not sure what kind of soil to transplant them to. I'm tempeted to just use garden dirt - my habs, Hungarians and Jalas did quite well - if it doesn't turn cold within the next two weeks, I'll have close to 100 Habs to pick.

Is this just for over wintering? Basic dirt is good to, just have to find that balance of fertilizer and dirt. I like organic dirt so I dont have to worry about to much or to little fertilizer with my seedlings. I will make sure not to use to many nitrates, as this can be bad to. Want to make sure that your peppers produce the produce. hehe.

POTAWIE said:
Garden dirt will have lots of nasties in it. You're better off buying your soil or soilless mix.

Yeah-good point! Need to watch that! Another thing you can try is putting your outside dirt in the oven to kill the bad stuff. I have never attempted this myself. Watch out for bugs!! That will ruin everything!

What Jolokia are you growing? Bhut? PC-1?
Naga - though I admit I don't really understand the diffence between the varieties.
Is this just for over wintering?
No, not really. I have about seven feet (30 ft. long) of dead ground in the backyard. The rest of the garden did great but weeds would not even grow in it. I will take my containers out there in the spring, line them up and grow them outside.
Sure, get dirt from outside, bake it and clean it up.
What's cooking? Smells "earthly"!

Omri - I've got a great plant for over-wintering, it's a cross between a Malawi birdseye & a Yellow Habanero. "bird-hab". You can grow 2 in a 100 mm pot, they live on nothing {coffee tables, on top of t.v, in the office}. Very few, very small pods, but what you get is hot enough to take paint off your car.
PM me if you want some seeds.

wordwiz said:
Naga - though I admit I don't really understand the diffence between the varieties.

Ok, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Bhut Jolokia is the current Guinness World Record holder at slightly over a million Scovvies.

Naga Morich is the Bangladesh pepper that may be as hot or even hotter than the Bhut, and is probably related to it; but it hasn't been tested in a controlled study.

Dorset Naga is most likely a Noga Morich that was acquired at a Bangladeshi market in the UK.

Naga Jolokia , or Tezpur is confusing. From the Chile Pepper Database "The real deal is a Chinense, but there are also Annuum & Frutescen versions grown across the world which are no where near as hot. The anuum version is sold under the name PC-1 in the US. The 'real deal' is reputed to be even hotter than the offical world record holder the Red Savina Habanero although this is open to much debate and a rather disappointing variety in trials.."

It is not, however, the hottest of the hot, no matter what it's actual species.

The world record holder is the Dorset Naga, which is a Naga Morich (North Bangladesh) after years of selective growing.
I don't think the Bhut Jolokia was even tested, even though Naga Morich/Bhut Jolokia/Bih Jolokia are the same species, just affected by different climates.

Omri said:
The world record holder is the Dorset Naga, which is a Naga Morich (North Bangladesh) after years of selective growing.

With what certification body? The Bhut Jolokia is the Guinness World Record holder, of that I'm certain.

I don't think the Bhut Jolokia was even tested, even though Naga Morich/Bhut Jolokia/Bih Jolokia are the same species, just affected by different climates.

They are the same species, but not the same variety. The Naga Morich appears to have up to five flowers per node, while the Bhut Jolokia appears to have two.

Here's the whole story:

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/sagajolokia.asp

The Bhut has the record, but don't put all your faith in the guiness record, they have a bad reputation when it comes to peppers. The Red Savina had the record undeservingly for years while most growers had much hotter peppers, and before that the Siling Labuyo had the record and its less than 100000 SHU, and its an Annuum(possible frutescens). Now with the trinidad scorpion, seven pot/pod, Bhut, Bih, Dorset naga, Naga morich all being so close in SHU and genetics, its going to be a long battle and I for one don't care anymore.

POTAWIE said:
Now with the trinidad scorpion, seven pot/pod, Bhut, Bih, Dorset naga, Naga morich all being so close in SHU and genetics, its going to be a long battle and I for one don't care anymore.

yeah, hard to say without constant testing with certain environments..

I would like to know without a doubt what the differences are between Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich, and the 10 other names it has. Isn’t there an official entity that controls and sorts out family trees for peppers? Like ASDA , University of New Mexico or something?

I would like to know official answer to this question, maybe this is asking to much.

I know the naga morichs I myself have started from 2 differece sources both have there separate traits, not sure if this means I have 2 different kinds of nagas, or if its just family traits for those generations.

:)

Omri said:
How many do you think I should grow?

I was reading somewhere that you should have 30watts per square foot for fluorescents.

I would think this all varies depending on what kind of light & how much you give, and many other factors I am sure.

POTAWIE said:
The Bhut has the record, but don't put all your faith in the guiness record, they have a bad reputation when it comes to peppers. The Red Savina had the record undeservingly for years while most growers had much hotter peppers, and before that the Siling Labuyo had the record and its less than 100000 SHU, and its an Annuum(possible frutescens). Now with the trinidad scorpion, seven pot/pod, Bhut, Bih, Dorset naga, Naga morich all being so close in SHU and genetics, its going to be a long battle and I for one don't care anymore.

I realize this is a very sensitive subject with you for some reason, but if you'd read what I said about the Naga, you'd see I recognized that it may well be as hot or hotter than the Bhut, but they haven't been tested against each other under controlled growing conditions.

Remember that Guinness plays no role in the testing, and it was the patent holder of the Red Savina who produced the results for Guinness. I've always thought he must have stressed the plants or adulterated the samplein some way; but since it wasn't a controlled study there's no way of knowing.

The Chile Pepper Institute grew the Bhuts, Red Savinas and orange habs they tested together so that any environmental conditions that affected heat level would be experienced by all. Until someone grows the Naga and the Bhut and whatever other peppers are vying for the top spot side by side in a controlled study we won't know which is actually the hottest. And so, for right now, as I very carefully worded it, Bhuts hold the record.

Omri said:

Well, this article says they are "possibly" the hottest, not that they are. And according to their tests, the Dorset Naga came in at 960,000 SHU. They say the tests that gave results of 1.6 million weren't correct. I also note the wording where they compare it to the Red Savina. While they mention that the Red Savina is no longer the world record holder, they...oops! don't mention the pepper that beat it, or the reported Scoville level. Which is good business, since they want you to buy their Dorset Naga and not a Bhut Jolokia.

Now, I would expect a pepper that was grown in New Mexico to come in with more scovvies than the same plant grown in the UK. It's hotter and dryer in New Mexico. Well, at least the part where the Chile Pepper Institute is. So, that 960,000 SHU might easily climb over a million if it were grown in New Mexico.

So, that was why I keep saying, although fans of the Naga and detractors of Guinness ignore it, that the Naga may well be hotter than the Bhut Jolokia, but we won't know until they are grown together under controlled growing conditions.

But right now, today, the Bhut Jolokia holds the record for the world's hottest pepper.

Back