• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

naming a new species

for anybody like myself trying to breed a new pepper variety, if you take the time to stabilize it...please take the time to name it well. I'm sorry but a lot of varieties been soundn kinda silly... idk just my thoughts.

pods that i would rename given the chance:

Jay's peach ghost scorpion.....sorry but way too long and un original
jigsaw.....just not to my liking i guess
7 pot lava.....just name it 7 pot hot why dont ya? hehe
bhutlah.....not a huge fan of the mesh names

maybe need to get a little more creative like cannabis cultivators? 
sour diesel, blue cheese, chem dog, pineapple express, ak 47, OG kush, purple urkle, northern lights....etc

sorry for the late night rant

this is a complete opinion :P so nobody get crazy :rofl:

TamTam79 said:
Nothing in this industry annoys me more than this. A cross shouldn't get named until its stable....even then, just call it A x B and initial it if you need to try and take ownership of it.
I couldn't agree more. But even labeling AxB could get a little extensive when you start crossing hybrids: (AxB X CxD). I guess the names DO come in handy...but only once they're stable, as TamTam said.

Pretty annoying thread with so many people who think they know better and feel the need to say it out loud... Frog Dog, good luck with naming your stabilized variety (or did you discover a new species?) Let us hope people will not judge your naming skills too harshly.

TamTam79 said:
Nothing in this industry annoys me more than this. A cross shouldn't get named until its stable....
tumblr_m8ebektHwy1rziwwco1_500.png

Happily there are nice exceptions between the vendors (eg JungleRain).

Cya

Datil

yup you gotta at least admire ed for doing it right, with all his numbered crosses then he will give a name later. aka h22b = reaper

i don't mind the names so much but they could be more creative.

The Canna names bug me a lot more than the pepper names. Agent Orange and Girl Scout Cookies are just a couple I find despicable. I don't mind the pepper mashup names cause they tell you what its made of.

Giving a name to a cross identifies before someone else makes that cross and tries to name it. I named the BBG7 x Reaper cross Bogglegum for instance.  Also putting you initials on things you created is a good idea or phenos that you found naturally.  Example, Chocolate Brain Strain RSMC.  What's funny is people hating on crosses when most of you grow your plants so close together without isolation, then pass out seeds and the person you handed the seeds to finds some unknown variety.  I get a few plants every year that don't look right and are obviously crossed. I also breed new cannabis strains for the hell of it.  Purple Diesel male x Death Star = Mimas Strain.  Mimas is a moon off of saturn that looks like the death star.  

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

BBG7 X Reaper = Bogglegum

jedisushi06 said:
Giving a name to a cross identifies before someone else makes that cross and tries to name it. I named the BBG7 x Reaper cross Bogglegum for instance.  Also putting you initials on things you created is a good idea or phenos that you found naturally.  Example, Chocolate Brain Strain RSMC.  What's funny is people hating on crosses when most of you grow your plants so close together without isolation, then pass out seeds and the person you handed the seeds to finds some unknown variety.  I get a few plants every year that don't look right and are obviously crossed. I also breed new cannabis strains for the hell of it.  Purple Diesel male x Death Star = Mimas Strain.  Mimas is a moon off of saturn that looks like the death star.  

attachicon.gif
IMG_2169.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_2168.jpg
I see that Bogglegum has a decent sized calyx. Does it bleed as well?

Haven't left one on long enough to see. I ate half of the first ripe pod and it gave me cramps for hours. It's one of the hottest reds I've had in years. I'll leave one on to find out soon if it bleeds

Uhhhhhhhhh Donnie, a cultivar is a cultivar, a species is a whole `nother thang. Just clearing it up. There are nomenclatural paradigms and we must use them.
BTW nice pods Jedi!

jedisushi06 said:
What's funny is people hating on crosses when most of you grow your plants so close together without isolation, then pass out seeds and the person you handed the seeds to finds some unknown variety.
Very true...
About naming i believe there is no problem about funny names but you should always tell some info about generation IF possible (eg Bogglegum F2, Bhutlah F4 and so on).

Cya

Datil

i knew people would get stirred on this subject even though it's just my humble opinion. I enjoy creativity and have no problem with people who want to name their own crosses. It just seems like a lot of the names are thought up at f1 and nobody even knows what the pods are supposed to look like by the time the seeds are released to the public. The naga viper and 7pot infinity are a couple off the top of my head that have simply vanished because of this. keep it fun and light...it's just a pepper forum. 

oh and the reason i mentioned cannabis strains is because i enjoy creativity and a lot of them are pretty unique. I don't even smoke!! but i love the smell!! :shocked:

Most are palatable names at least unlike novelty hot sauce, like Ass Reamer (a Reaper Hybrid)... lol ... oops didn't mean to spur a trend but have at it...

so peppers are a species as a whole? just wondering......like is a ghost pepper and a bell pepper the same species?

jedisushi06 said:

attachicon.gif
IMG_2169.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_2168.jpg
bogglegum, i like it. Creativity!!! and weird names!!

Back