• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Naming system for breeding

I've got a lot of seeds and I keep a list of them in a spreadsheet with info like name, species, source, germination rate etc... 

But I'm trying to sort out a numbering system for keeping track of crosses, saved seeds and multiples.  For instance the HP22B is the code of the plant that became known as the Crimson Reaper. 

Last season I had Yellow 7 Pot seeds from two different sources and they produced different shaped pods.  I still have seeds from both original sources, also some open pollinated seeds saved from each.  So that's 4 different lots of Yellow 7 Pot seeds and I want to keep track of them and keep them separate.  That's without any crossing experiments where you'd grow several plants out. 

I was thinking of assigning each different packet of seed a number such as 001, 002... as I get them and keep all relevant information in the spreadsheet.  Has anyone done this or have any other ideas about how to do it?  Trying to keep it simple but effective, and don't want to have any mixups down the road.

megamoo said:
I was thinking of assigning each different packet of seed a number such as 001, 002... as I get them and keep all relevant information in the spreadsheet.  Has anyone done this or have any other ideas about how to do it?  Trying to keep it simple but effective, and don't want to have any mixups down the road.
This is a good old database trick, and works fine. Main drawbacks are that you do not get any useful information from the number it self, i.e. you need to look in the sheet whenever in doubt about what plant you are looking at, and if you loose the sheet then you've lost all information.

HAJ said:
This is a good old database trick, and works fine. Main drawbacks are that you do not get any useful information from the number it self, i.e. you need to look in the sheet whenever in doubt about what plant you are looking at, and if you loose the sheet then you've lost all information.

Yeah I went ahead and numbered everything. Might have to print a hard copy each season to guard against computer failure
millworkman said:
And its the Carolina Reaper not Crimson.
of course I know it is...  don't know what I was thinking  :doh:  

megamoo said:

Yeah I went ahead and numbered everything. Might have to print a hard copy each season to guard against computer failure
of course I know it is...  don't know what I was thinking  :doh:  

You should look into using Dropbox or Google Drive or some similar free cloud service to back up important documents. Both of them are simple to use, once you sign up and install the program it acts like a regular windows folder except the files you add to that folder are synced to the cloud. 

Back