• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nanaglen`s "plantation"

I am living in a nice condo in the Colognoe area which has a relatively mild climate. To that condo there belongs a sort of balkony/terrace wich is at ground level. Until summer last year I had some lavendula, rosemary bushes and some roses planted around it, which after some years really looked horrible. It was untidy, chaotic and yust a wilderness. Even though on pics it had really a romatic touch (depended on the angle).

Early last year I had payes my last rate (last part of money) for my condo, so I could save money, and the first project was my terrace/balcony. I made a complete rebuild. It looked quite nice, but hooribly naked.

I bought a little rosebush and a colleague gave me 2 little chiliplants. I also bought a third one, and i planted them into big pots, and enjoyed the second half of the summer, by watching my chilis grow. So far so good. Up to now I still dont know what I harvested, but it was fun.

This winter, as so often when the weather is lousy, I did my Indian cooking, and I thought...boy I really need fresh chilis...hmmm and I really would like to grow my own again, and not thoses "standart" stuff.

OK lets take a lokk at the WWW....

So I orderd "Bolivian Rainbow", "Habanero Cappuccino" and "Lemon Drops" seeds, but only because they fit into my color scheme I planned for my terrace. I also orderd some tomatoes (Black Cherries and Yellow Pearshaped)

I dunked the seeds into soil, watered then, and THEN I started reading....ooooohkeyyyyy....
After that it became expensive, I needed a little plant house, a plant heating mat a bigger plant house, fertilizer etc. etc. I guess you folks from the colder parts of the plante know the whole thing ;)

Here some pics from my plants in the early state

The seeds in the small planthouse in a small aquarium 25th or so february 2010
SaatinplanthouseendeFebruarskk.jpg

The first plants see the light
Tomatenkommenrausskk.jpg

The first plants enjoy the "sun" light
erstenPflanzenaufAQskkk.jpg

My Chili and Tomatoe grow station
ChiliaufzuchtstationMitteMrz2010askkk.jpg

Such a big open aquarium with special lamps can come very handy, if you dont have the technical equipment some Chili heads have...

The plants stayed on the tank for some weeks and grew nicely. The tank water was nice to water and fertilize the plants. I just dunked them, great thing.

BLs180310sehrklein.jpg

Bolivian Rainbows

Habaneros130310klein.jpg

Habaneros

LDshghghghg130310klein.jpg

Lemmon Drops

OK OK I know, I shouldnt answer to my own posting directly but I think that will make reading easier ;)

Some weeks later I separated my plants and stacked them onto my newly baught rack, so they had mor space, and the weight could get off the tank.

Plantage2203sehrklein.jpg

The weather here in Cologne was really lousy, we had a tough winter and it stayed grey in grey in grey till in the middle of March, and longer.

But nevertheless my plants grew
BRsundLDs3103sehrklein.jpg

Habaneros and Lemmon Drops 03.31.10

LDundBR3103sehrklein.jpg

Lemmon Drop and Bolivian Rainbow

And if the weather allowed it the plants stayed outdoor 03.20.10
ErsterTagdraussen2703sehrklein.jpg

AllemeineChilis1004sehrkleina.jpg

My chilis 04.10.2010

TomatenbeimSonnenbad0904sehrklein.jpg

My tomatoes 04.09.2010

Siegeniessenden06Aprilsehrklein.jpg

All plants 04.06.2010

One month later
LDsundHabis1505sehrklein.jpg

THE DAY, 05.16.2010 the plants were planted to their destinated places
PlantagebeiSonnenschein1605sehrklei.jpg

again a good month later
Terrasse2306abendssehrklein.jpg

And now you will see "fresh" pics

My plants grow nicely, some have loads of berries (bolivian Raimbows) other have a few berries (Lemmon Drops) and some have no berries at all, my Habaneros. They have flowers, but they are all thrown off. I dont know why. But it seems to be a phenomeom in Germany. Lots of Chili growers say the same thing.

LDsinMorgensonne2307sk.jpg

South side Lemmon Drops 07.23.2010

LD2207sk.jpg

Lemmon Drop berry 07.23.10

TrioInfernalea1807sk.jpg

Bolivian Rainbows, Lemmon Drops and Habaneros 07.23.2010

Habis1807sk.jpg

Habaneros 07.23.2010

BRs1807sk.jpg

Bolivian Rainbow

LDsmitPaprika1807sk.jpg

Lemmon Drops

I hope this posting wasnt tooo much, but to see those ole pics was very interesting for me, and it shows the mirrcles of nature, how from those really tiny seeds such big plants can grow...

World Cup in Australia would be great, but even better without that lousy time difference...and hopefully without those darned Vuvuzelas...

hey seeyoujimmy I wouldn't mind seeing the 2022 FIFA world cup....but not your pearl necklace

:lol: Not that kind of pearl necklace, I'm just offering bribes....

World Cup in Australia would be great, but even better without that lousy time difference...and hopefully without those darned Vuvuzelas...

I'd be happy not to get up at 4am to watch though. There's usually one or two kids blowing a vuvuzela when I watch my nephews play but the novelty will wear off soon enough. Maybe an Aussie world cup will bring the wobble board to the world....
Sorry for the hijack but I couldn't resist.

Your plants look very nice. Here in South Louisiana, the weather has been very hot (95+) and windy, not alot of rain. I had to find places to keep my plants protected from the heat and wind.

This is my first year growing peppers and I quickly discovered there is quite a bit of expense involved. So far, my experience has been frustrating and somewhat rewarding as I have 5 jalapeno peppers that are about 1/2 inch long. My habanero and tabasco plants look nice but no pods yet. Bhuts, datil's, fatalli, long red slims, chimayo and a few others are no where near ready to produce pods. Not sure if I will get anything before winter. I'm looking forward to next grow season as I have gained some valuable experience.

Next Year I will start much earlier, I think sometimes early January and not end of February. And then I hopefuly will have a nice rack with good lighting construction. There is still a slight problem, I got to convince my Dad to design and build it....hmmm.

I already got some original Indian Chilis seeds and Balinesic and Indian tomatoes. Then I am still hunting for seeds of older tomatoe varieties, especialy smaller staying ones, cause every stonger wind is doing lots of harm to my tall plants. They grew taller than 2,30 metres. Now they are just an ugly bunch of tangled branches.

Today I was again on a "photo safari" ;)

Habiblte2507sk.jpg

the 10th million Habanero flower, which I guess will fall off soon

FarbumschlagbeiderkleinstenBR2507sk.jpg

Bolivian Rainbow

BolivianHabiBlte2107sk.jpg

I bought this plant as a Bolivian Rainbow, but I think its an hybrid between BR and???

I have a habanero plant that dropped about 50 flowers, probably due to the heat. It's now about 3 ft tall and i see some buds that will soon turn into flowers. Hopefully these will produce pods.

My Pimiento de Padron is growing nicely, the rest is not changing
PdPa2707sk.jpg

and here a pic of my southside
ChilismitFeuerbohne2707sk.jpg

Damn I whish it would stop raining....

Back