• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

food Nashville Hot Chicken

parker49 said:
I was gonna like this but i just can't like anything Alabama  :rofl:

No offense to any Alabama folks of course  :P
What?!! no "Roll tide Roll"??
Sorry, I got a friend who adds that line in every time the song comes up. Now I can't even hear the song without hearing that in my head even when he's not around.

Hawaiianero said:
What?!! no "Roll tide Roll"??
Sorry, I got a friend who adds that line in every time the song comes up. Now I can't even hear the song without hearing that in my head even when he's not around.
Hahahaha, yeah definitely none of that.  We say something a little different to that song here in TN but i won't get into that  :P

parker49 said:
I was gonna like this but i just can't like anything Alabama  :rofl:

No offense to any Alabama folks of course  :P

Must be a college football fan? Anyways parker, I want to recreate some TN fried chicken even though I've never had it so let me ask you. For the chili oil/sauce that's put on top of it. Princes looks very oily with a tinge of red. I think it's hot lard that has let dried pepper/pepper flakes soak in it, but is the double hot or the spicier ones you think "thicker" because maybe they grind up more peppers and keep it int here instead of let the peppers steep? 

BigB said:
Must be a college football fan? Anyways parker, I want to recreate some TN fried chicken even though I've never had it so let me ask you. For the chili oil/sauce that's put on top of it. Princes looks very oily with a tinge of red. I think it's hot lard that has let dried pepper/pepper flakes soak in it, but is the double hot or the spicier ones you think "thicker" because maybe they grind up more peppers and keep it int here instead of let the peppers steep? 

Yep, went to UT Knoxville and l love college football.  I am definitely no expert since i have only eaten it and not made it (though perhaps i should), but i would think it is more peppers. Perhaps they are steeped longer as well, but from the taste on the hotter ones you can really taste the peppers, which to me seem to be a cayenne type pepper most of the time.

Good old Rocky Top. Were you there when Peyton was?  I would love to know how they make the "sauce" they put on that chicken.  

JayT said:
Good old Rocky Top. Were you there when Peyton was?  I would love to know how they make the "sauce" they put on that chicken.
I grew up in Knoxville and a lifelong UT fan. First year at UT was about 2000 or so which is a couple of years after he graduated. I do have an autographed full sized framed picture of him. More of a painting than a pic but whatever.

Yeah I would like to know too. I've seen recipes online not sure how close they are to the real thing.

Made some nasheville fried chicken. I have the book Fried & True, great book my mom gave me for my birthday....or christmas, I can't remember. Anyways, Hattie B's Recipe, minus the fact that I fried in lard like princes'. My phone was dead so I couldn't take a pic, but my friend took some. Unfortunately it was before the hot stuff went on. The hot topping was 2 ladles of hot lard + 4 tbs of all my hottest pepper powders, smoked SB,ghost, cumari do para and a few others, some brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder and salt. The hot lard bloomed the spices and everything and then I shook it all up. It was definitely what I would assume to be as hot as Prince's Double hot if not hotter. 

imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Back