• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

NECM 2018 Topped & Not Topped Glog

`
To top, or not to top, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler snipped and suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous growth,
Or to take arms against a sea of questions
And by leaving them. To dieto sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The quandary and not the thousand unnatural shock
That topping is heir to: 'tis a debate to settle​
So I didn't have much of a plan for this season as I use mostly powder and my '15 harvest is still keeping my grinders full. After reading The Great "Evidence for Topping (or not)" Thread I was perusing the Bonnie pepper plants @ Home Depot and found two trays of Red Ghost Pepper and said to myself, "Self, it's a sign from The Pepper Gods!"...

Cli8LHu.jpg

So let's get started... Of those two trays the one on the left had seven plants that were very similiar in size and vigor and six came home with me for this glog.

QniL0nq.jpg

So I topped three & of course left three.

XXHx7E7.jpg

a3Z5ttR.jpg

I rejuvinated six of my 5gal. pots by weeding, breaking the top six inches loose and adding new media - compost - perlite and mixing it in with that top six inches.

LDQ1AlV.jpg

NWIoIRW.jpg

KW5BbqZ.jpg

0rZ3t9X.jpg

Plant markers and plants - cut the peat pot back - put them in their home for the next four months.

IVqeI9j.jpg

4kkkmL0.jpg

OoSZDP3.jpg

gLtHfvx.jpg

Topped in the tan pails and non-topped in green.

OHsOk3d.jpg

A9OIOkO.jpg

More to follow! NECM

`
luvmesump3pp3rz said:
great thread. i will follow to see how it turns out. i asked this question about topping earlier this year and decided not to top and let nature take it`s course. i`m also in the northeast so i know what our grow season is like. i`m interested to see how many pods you get from the topped plants compared to un-topped.

So the grow season turned sour here in New England, couple of sunny days followed by lotsa rain over a few days, repeat - repeat - repeat so that nutes I added are flushed until yellowed leaves & flower drop prevailed. So the early setting non-topped plants out shined the topped. Remember, brown buckets topped - green buckets un-topped. Oh, and I stripped a lot of the leaves to show the peppers, read not leaf drop.

naIcm3W.jpg

etkFcXI.jpg

`

cDNg3Rq.jpg

n3fKRjP.jpg

a3xbpiG.jpg

YRlJC4K.jpg

NECM

Back