• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Need a good blender

My last blender broke in the middle of pureeing my last hot sauce batch.  Fortunately, the batch was almost at the desired consistency before the motor stopped working.  I don't remember what I spent, but it was wasn't a lot, probably something between $19.99 and $29.99.   I was under the mistaken impression that an "El Chepo" model would hold up.  This turned out to be a total piece of crap!  I hadn't used it for more than 5 times (Not more than a total of 25 minutes) before the motor stopped working, and the text above the buttons (Puree, chop etc) washed off as soon as it got wet.

I need a recommendation for a good blender.  I'm only going to use it to make hot sauces, and maybe some smoothies or some fruit juices.  With that in mind, I'm not 100% sure that I need a blender, maybe some related device (juicer?) that can puree ingredients.  I'd rather not have to spend $100.00 or more, but do need something that will do the job and last.  I will need good blades, as I add whole lemons and limes to my sauces.

What do some of the experienced sauce makers recommend?

Thanks

I was hoping for success, but am about to start the return process.  I can not recommend this model as a rubber part burned after less than two minutes of use!   I put 3 1/2 cups of peanuts and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the jar.  I put it on low for 15 seconds, then stopped.  So far so good.  Then, I put it on high for 50 seconds.  So far, so good.  It wasn't blended enough, so I took the top off and pushed the material down with a spatula. Then, I put it on high for another 50 second cycle, however, something went terribly wrong:  The model started shaking violently and smoking like crazy from the bottom.  After I shut it off, I saw burnt black rubber all over the bottom of the blender.  This is also coating the bottom of the jar.

Edit - I was pissed off and determined to eat some home made Peanut Butter, so I ran the unit another 50 second cycle.  I have what looks and smells like peanut butter, but I can not eat it because there are small pieces of rubber mixed in with the final product!

Time to try a more expensive vitamix.  Take a look at the damage here:

The only good thing is that Amazon has never given me any shit with their return policy, so I'll have my money back in a few days—they pay for shipping it back as well.  

I'm a little extra pissed off now, because it took me a long time to un-shell 3 1/2 cups of peanuts, and I was looking forward to a few tablespoons of it for dessert.  I was also planing on surprising my nephews with a few jars,as I am seeing them on Sunday.

Blendtec sucks and is an irresponsible company, not caring about their customers.  Yesterday, I was looking around the internet to see if anybody else has had the same issue as me, and I came across this YouTube video that was posted over a year ago, describing a burnt gasket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aelNlK3wkiY

dragon49 said:
Blendtec sucks and is an irresponsible company, not caring about their customers.  Yesterday, I was looking around the internet to see if anybody else has had the same issue as me, and I came across this YouTube video that was posted over a year ago, describing a burnt gasket:
I saw that as well. Hopefully I won't have the same problem with my blendtec total blender as its arriving today. If I do then I will just go with the Waring MX 1000 commercial blender.

I wish you the best of luck.  I'm buying my next blender (Probably a less expensive Ninja) at a local Bed Bath and Beyond store.  They have a very liberal return policy and generally give you store credit or a full refund as long as you have a receipt.  Amazon's is only 30 days.

I didn't want to invite a public discussion, so I sent Blendtec a Facebook message, along with the picture of the burnt rubber.  They responded, asking for my phone number so they can call me.  I responded, dying to know what they are going to say for themselves.

I have made Peanut Butter!

My blender woes appear to be over. I’ll know for sure with my next hot sauce batch, if the new blender is able to puree fruits without issues. I purchased a Ninja Professional 1000 which cost $87.09 after a 20% coupon and taxes. I was able to make almost 16 ounces of smooth peanut butter from 16 ounces of dry roasted peanuts. I did this on the low setting and it took five minutes and thirty seconds (with a few breaks to move material down with a spatula) to create the desired product. This is quite a contrast from the $319.95 Blendtec Classic Series 560, which blew up right out of the box!

I got a Farbarware 4 speed digital, stainless steel.  $40 at Walmart.

Comes with smoothie attachment. 

Bought it several years ago. I've made countless margaritas, hot sauce batches, you name it. It puree's the crap out of everything...QUICKLY. I don't baby it either. I put it in boiling sometimes. 

FarmerJones said:
I got a Farbarware 4 speed digital, stainless steel.  $40 at Walmart.

Comes with smoothie attachment. 

Bought it several years ago. I've made countless margaritas, hot sauce batches, you name it. It puree's the crap out of everything...QUICKLY. I don't baby it either. I put it in boiling sometimes. 

Yeah I beat the hell out of mine ass well and still holds up. I have been tossing the idea around about getting one of those ninjas though

Back