• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need a little help! Maw and Paw in law are going to Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia

My MIL (Thai/Vietnamese) and FIL (Chinese/Laotian) is going to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and maybe Vietnam. They're going for 1 month and she will be staying with relatives and family. Both of them love hots, and they're really excited about finding some new ones for my collection.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated and I PROMISE TO SHARE THE WEALTH WITH THE FORUM !!!!!

Prik kee nu (rat shit chili; literally, chili shit rat) is interesting. They are the size of a rat turd and fairly spicy. The other variety of prik kee nu is larger and used in som tam (papaya salad) and can have a pretty good bite. Thai chilies lack the full flavors of jalapenos and Habaneros, IMO. Heat without flavor is boring, IMO, but those two might be interesting for you as a novelty. Oh, I live in Thailand; Lao and Cambodia will be pretty much the same.

AjarnV said:
Prik kee nu (rat shit chili; literally, chili shit rat) is interesting. They are the size of a rat turd and fairly spicy. The other variety of prik kee nu is larger and used in som tam (papaya salad) and can have a pretty good bite. Thai chilies lack the full flavors of jalapenos and Habaneros, IMO. Heat without flavor is boring, IMO, but those two might be interesting for you as a novelty. Oh, I live in Thailand; Lao and Cambodia will be pretty much the same.

I am one of the biggest fans and consumer of Thai Hotties in Detroit.
I am not bragging but I buy them hotties by pounds for my Thai chilli pepper pickle chutney that can give you a wonderful and safe trip like ecstacy.

I would love to get my hands on Rat Shit Pepper . Unfortuantely only one varaiety of Hot Thais of Bird chilli variety is available in Detroit.

NJA

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
I am not bragging but I buy them hotties by pounds for my Thai chilli pepper pickle chutney that can give you a wonderful and safe trip like ecstacy.

I would love to get my hands on Rat Shit Pepper . Unfortuantely only one varaiety of Hot Thais of Bird chilli variety is available in Detroit.

NJA

I'll send you some pictures in the next day or so of both varieties. They're great in a mixture of lime juice, garlic, onion, vinegar, sugar, a little fish sauce.

AjarnV said:
I'll send you some pictures in the next day or so of both varieties. They're great in a mixture of lime juice, garlic, onion, vinegar, sugar, a little fish sauce.

Thanks.
Till you reach fish sauce, I am fine. I am a Grass Hopper you see.

I've been growing mouse shitters for almost 20 years now. They excellent and belong in every garden. I went to Chileman.org and printed off their list from each country, but it's about 30 different varieties and most of them seem redundant. Maybe I can score some oddballs. They're leaving in a couple of days and I've already handed over a pepper finding file

When you get back to Michigan, PM me. I have rat's turd seeds. :) You'll probably have so much stuff to lure me with I won't know what to do. lol.

Chris

Naga Jolokia Addict said:

NJA

Prik kee nu (mouse shit shili) is essential for a good Thai curry paste - as are lemon grass, galangal, cilantro roots and garlic. Grow it all.

Prik Kee Nu is one of the new peppers I am trying this year. Seedlings are doing good. I don't know anything about the taste yet.

Like discovering many new ones from Trinidad, there will be many varieties over there, not being known at all. So I would beg them to walk across the local markets and get some dried chilis with them. A friend of mine discovered a chili at Myanmar similar to the Bhut, but a little bit different from shape.

I would go for the wild and out of the ordinary varieties; Hmong peppers come to mind. My step-mother is in Mexico (Chiapas) right now and she's pepper hunting for me too. I can't wait to see what comes of it.

cmpman1974 said:
When you get back to Michigan, PM me. I have rat's turd seeds. :) You'll probably have so much stuff to lure me with I won't know what to do. lol.

Chris

Ok. Thanks. I will PM you. Let me know when crop is ready for me...LOL

Prik key Nuu,, is Chili shit rat,, Word for word. Not much flaver but good heat that hits fast. A good Prik from Thailand is "Prik Gareon" fruity then a burn like a prik key nuu, and about a ten minite burn on a good one. By the way prik is not said like prick in english but more like prig but not a strong G sound. Prik key nuu suwn, is the small one Prik key nuu ? is the bigger one. Lots of hybrid cross here. TiT is very inportant to know. I've also found getting seeds from out side Thailand for the really exotic ones was better. But if looking for Prik key nuu sawn, Thai hot, Thai red, Thai red hot, Thai Bird, Thai birdseye, Thai red birdeye, And a few others that look the same. There Seeds can be bought here 3 packs for a USD. And also can get some rare packs here from here and close countrys like china. But looking is the hole troble. But a pack may have 30 or more seeds.

Hi folks just joined the group. I'm growing a pepper this year for the first time from Thai/Lao (my wife is from Laos) of the Phrik Ki Nu variety (small blunt type not the longer version) I have seen the small pointed Thai pepper but not this blunt version, the plants do not grow very tall but bushy close to the ground (great in pots), I will have extra seeds if there is an interest. I have been going to Thai/Lao festivals for over ten years and have never seen this type for sale; I stumbled across in one of my Lao friend’s backyard in a pot. I'm also looking for seeds for the Phrik Chi Fa or Phrik Luang pepper (finger size bright orange) with a great fruity taste a little hotter that a jalapeno but much better flavor, one of my favs. I can also spare or trade Chocolate Habanero seeds.

wow, I'm so jealous of your MIL and PIL. I love it over there. Especially the food. I can't even eat thai food here in America; its too depressing.
I was on the same hunt for seeds a year and a half ago when I visited Thailand also.
I'll tell you: seeds can be hard to find there. Especially if you don't speak Thai (or Lao or Khmer). I visited several nurseries in Isaan without any success.
what they will find:
commercially packaged pepper seed (like Burpees) in little packets for sale at little hardware stores in the smaller (and I guess bigger) towns. usually three or four varieties along with other vegetables all on a rack. they're cheap but all the script is in Thai. I basically bought everything I saw and then sorted it out when I got home.
the other option is to go to the markets and look for dried peppers. the variety won't be as good as fresh of course.
I pretty much came home only with the commercial seed and finally had to ask my buddy in Buriram to search out some seed for me. (which he kindly did from a local farmer).
I wish your travellers a safe and tasty journey.

Back