• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Need a pepper ID...

hi guys sorry about being so quiet for a LONG TIME!!!! but i need some help here.

my mom bought me this for xmas.. thinking it was a treat since she knows i love chillies.. but to be honest i have NO idea wth this is..

2011-12-24144901.jpg

like you can see it just says "Capsicum Chilli" at the bottom (that is what we (in south africa) and the rest of the world call peppers :P just american want to be weird and call them peppers lol.

at the bottom is says "not fit for human consumption" can anyone pls help me identify this plant ? and it it's really not edible ? would kinda suck :P

and also another question about a confused jalapeno plant..

i planted mine a while ago.. and they standing right next to some habanero plants. is there a chance they might cross polinate and might this cause the weird behaviour ? cause i harvested some of the fruits of the plant today cause when they turn red they dont get any bigger (watched a previous for a WHILE) they vary a lot in size.

here is my "harvest"

2011-12-26221333.jpg

They look like a Super Chili, which has a bit of variation in pod shape since it is not entirely stable. Some of my Super Chilies looked like the ones in your first picture, some were almost Cumari-shaped (like blobs of jelly). Some of your pods almost look like Zimbabwe Bird Peppers, too, though, so it could be something else. Either way, my guess for the species is almost certainly C.Annuum of some sort.

so you think the top one is edible?and why would they say it's not fit for human consumption ? i hope it's only due to a high scoville i hope.. then i'm in heaven lol. the bot red ones are all from my jalapeno plant ;/ lol i think the plant is confused

Ornamentals have this "not fit" tag frequently.....there IS an ornamental out there that is not a true pepper(or Capsicum chilli as everyone in world calls them....hehe) and considered slightly poisonous-but it is round and red. The "not fit" tag may even be a result of manure used in the growing medium....but I am VERY unfamiliar with agricultural regulations for SA.My guess is that if you cut them open ,they will be VERY thin walled and packed with seeds(like an ornamental),...but if you got it from your mom....you better just say its really great;)!
The other....can't say, but probably some issues with seed labeling/source.

The foliage looks odd(almost waxy)for a true capsicum- you might "google" the label info(origin-company etc)-good luck

A couple years ago they had plants that look like the top one that ripened in either red,orange or yellow.

They had thick flesh and tasted jalapino like with a lot more heat.
Ya,I ate 1 of each to see if they might be worth isolating for seeds.
No third eye yet...

They were a hybrid because the seeds from isolated plants all grew different type peppers.

Though a few looked like they grew true to the parent plant.

A lot of times they use systemics on ornamental peppers so they can't sell them as being edible.
Other times they are just hot with no flavor.

The plants I got from the nursery were heavy producers and easy to keep alive.
Even in bigger pots the didn't grow very big.

A couple years ago they had plants that look like the top one that ripened in either red,orange or yellow.

They had thick flesh and tasted jalapino like with a lot more heat.
Ya,I ate 1 of each to see if they might be worth isolating for seeds.
No third eye yet...

They were a hybrid because the seeds from isolated plants all grew different type peppers.

Though a few looked like they grew true to the parent plant.

A lot of times they use systemics on ornamental peppers so they can't sell them as being edible.
Other times they are just hot with no flavor.

The plants I got from the nursery were heavy producers and easy to keep alive.
Even in bigger pots the didn't grow very big.

now your just tempting me to eat one.... :onfire:

I have several ornamentals myself...and while they are "edible" they are labeled not edible so that the regulations regarding the chemicals and pesticides they use are different. If you are able to keep them going and get some new peppers on there they should be fine. One of mine looks similar to yours but less pointed. Most of them are hybrids of some sort bred for looks they can range anywhere from mild to pretty freaking HOT! More than likely that plant is actually 2 or 3 plants in one pot...one of mine has 4, and 3 of them produce hot and one not??? They all look the same though. Here are a couple of mine:

482616632.jpg

482609717.jpg

I use mine for Bonchi...(Chili Bonsai) have fun with it!

Yeah, if they grow true??? If not, you could transplant and then wait a couple months and they should be fine that way too. I dry mine and string them up as decorations.

thinking of harvesting the seeds of those fuits and replanting them with no chems etc. that would be ok though right ?

Sure, if you really want to eat them but I doubt its worth all the trouble
I don't know if waiting a few months would work with a systemic pesticide but I wouldn't try it. Better safe than sorry.

Back