• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

NEED ADVICE - Transplant now or later?

IMG_4109.jpg

I have this Cajamarca in a 3-gallon pot that is loading up with chiles. It needs to be transplanted but I'm wondering if I should wait until after I've harvested some or if it is ok to repot it now. What are your thoughts?

The thing about transplanting is that the plant is going to experience some level of shock. It looks to me from the pic that it's in a ceramic pot, possibly with an in-turned lip at the top. I'd suggest leaving it alone for now. However, if it's having problems that make you want to pot up now, definitely get one or two other people to help you, to minimize disturbance as you remove it from the existing pot. If the pot does have an in-turned lip (making it difficult to remove the plant), you might consider breaking the pot.

The thing about transplanting is that the plant is going to experience some level of shock. It looks to me from the pic that it's in a ceramic pot, possibly with an in-turned lip at the top. I'd suggest leaving it alone for now. However, if it's having problems that make you want to pot up now, definitely get one or two other people to help you, to minimize disturbance as you remove it from the existing pot. If the pot does have an in-turned lip (making it difficult to remove the plant), you might consider breaking the pot.

+1

When you do repot, completely submerge the rootball in warm (not hot) water for a few seconds and then place in the new soil. You'll greatly reduce or eliminate any symptoms of transplant shock. I read this from Justaguy, tried it, and it works like a charm!!

Back